PHYSICAL GRAFFITI PLAYBACK EVENT W/ JIMMY PAGE CONTEST

Strider

On February 19 at the Olympic Studios in London, Jimmy Page will host a listen to the new Physical Graffiti remaster. There is a contest to win tickets to the event on his website JimmyPage.com. The deadline is midnight February 13. The winners are responsible for their own travel costs.

Details and entry form here:

http://www.jimmypage.com/news/physical-graffiti-playback-event

Bon chance Zepheads!

On February 19 at the Olympic Studios in London, Jimmy Page will host a listen to the new Physical Graffiti remaster. There is a contest to win tickets to the event on his website JimmyPage.com. The deadline is midnight February 13. The winners are responsible for their own travel costs.

Details and entry form here:

http://www.jimmypage.com/news/physical-graffiti-playback-event

Bon chance Zepheads!

lol not exactly Christmas, is it?!

Hope those of you who get to go fill us in on the PG details :) Have fun!

Always fascinating listening to Jimmy. He's so articulate and intelligent. Obviously his passion and love of all things Zeppelin remains

undiminished.

One very poignant moment in this playback event came when a gentleman in the audience was seen sobbing and being comforted by a

female companion.

One can imagine they were his tears of joy, memories of days past, and the simple miracle of Zeppelin's music bringing such

unimaginable emotion to his life. I am in complete sympathy with his moment.

Always fascinating listening to Jimmy. He's so articulate and intelligent. Obviously his passion and love of all things Zeppelin remains

undiminished.

One very poignant moment in this playback event came when a gentleman in the audience was seen sobbing and being comforted by a

female companion.

One can imagine they were his tears of joy, memories of days past, and the simple miracle of Zeppelin's music bringing such

unimaginable emotion to his life. I am in complete sympathy with his moment.

That'll be the guy who suffered a major stroke. Zeppelin's music played a big part in his road to recovery. He was just into telling his story when my phone rang so I paused the stream when I got back to it pressing (un)pause took me back to the start of the playback. I'll catch up with rest of it later hopefully.

Just returned home after a fantastic evening at the Olympic Studios theatre. The quality of the sound was stunning. Front row seat Jimmy just a few feet away. I will look forward to seeing the yahoo showing tomorrow. Too late tonight as its 2am here in England.

Not sure if this is the right place as there are a couple of threads in which people are giving their impressions, but here goes...

Got a chance to listen to this late afternoon with decent headphones on (Sennheisers) and I must say that the overall sound quality of the alternate mixes is superb. I was supposed to be finishing some things I was working on but really couldn't focus on any of it; I just kept getting drawn in by how sharp and clean and dynamic it all sounded. I'm so impressed with the level of craftsmanship on display as a whole. It's the first time I've heard any of this with headphones, and maybe as Page said the sound quality of OS is just that much better, but even TUF, which I didn't think was significantly different from the album mix, sounded great because you could hear Robert's vocals out front a lot more and all of the vocables he added in the song, too (I still think the take itself is like 90% the same as the final album version, but it was interesting to hear nevertheless, nice and crunchy).

Some details and impressions I recall (some of this is interspersed with the Q&A and commentary):

SA - Page said he played the bass on the track we heard. Bonzo sounded magnificent - I mean even more so, if possible.

IMTOD - Very clean sound. No cough at the end. Page said something about not wanting to over egg it. I felt it should have been left on.

HOTH - more prominent percussive section (left). Backing vocals on this mix were distractedly loud. Good that they were toned down for the final version.

BWS - honestly I don't recall anything about it...don't know why it didn't stick

KASHMIR - this was the final track, and if TUF is 90% the same, this one is over 95%, still, the clean remaster allows for sounds that I haven't picked up before. It was interesting to hear that the orchestral parts were recorded in that OS studio (if memory serves), and you could hear the orchestral arrangements in the left ear more prominently, but then you also hear them just abruptly ending at some point... anyway, it always sounds like such an ancient yet timeless majestic epic. What a wonderful trip.

ITL - right well we've heard this version before, but not this clearly. THIS is the kind of thing I think that many fans have been wanting - not just alternate mixes but takes and work-in-progress versions. The final album version is the right choice, but I was intrigued with the more haunting quality of this version's verse sections (lyrics of course are different, too, and don't match the moody sound) and thought it was too bad that that section didn't get resurrected in another song because I felt it deserved to stand in its own light, so to speak.

Audience questions were pre-selected, it seems, which is probably why they all sounded like good ones. The French guy who asked about the use of ProTools and whether certain sounds would have been taken out (ie/ airplane) had Page had the toy available to use (Jimmy essentially said to the effect that he wasn't knocking it but too many options isn't always great either...the rest I won't spoil).

One German lady asked about the dragon suit... Page said the symbol was chosen carefully.

Interesting answer to why the album was named PG.

Mark, bless him, the man who had a stroke ten years ago, talked about how much ITL meant to him then in recovery and now. Apparently he was paralyzed before so to see how far he's come and how moved he was by the experience was really touching.

Apparently the upcoming albums will have some special treats - oh the debates that will ensue!

The graphics throughout were well done, too, by Jason M... don't recall... but kudos to him.

Page was in his element, articulate and detailed (when he wanted to be, cagey when not), and gave full credit to the other band members, carefully steering clear of anything that might be misconstrued as a negative comment towards any of them. A positive vibe all around, if a bit reverential or nostalgic for my taste (I understand the high of seeing someone you greatly admire and hearing songs with such history, but I also get a weird feeling about being too sucked into all of it, but that's a separate issue, and maybe just mine). It's good that the remasters are here to enjoy, it was nice to revisit, and now on to new sound paths :)

Just returned home after a fantastic evening at the Olympic Studios theatre. The quality of the sound was stunning. Front row seat Jimmy just a few feet away. I will look forward to seeing the yahoo showing tomorrow. Too late tonight as its 2am here in England.

Yes I spotted you as well. LUCKY, LUCKY BASTARD.

Hi, would you mind awfully if I asked, how on earth you managed to get tickets to this event? Cheers! :peace:

Hi, would you mind awfully if I asked, how on earth you managed to get tickets to this event? Cheers! :peace:

I entered the competition on jimmypage.com. I didn't win but a very good friend did win and offered me their spare ticket. "How could I say no?"

I got a front row seat. Some pics to follow.

Archived