Live From Now On

Mr_K

Anyone else finding that they don't listen to their Zeppelin studio albums anymore? I grew up on the studio work and even remember waiting for the release of a new one. Which turned out to be ITTO.

Much as I loved them, I was never completely satisfied. I rarely listened to a whole "polished" album start to finish. And I probably won't again.

Now with all the great live work, I think I know why. I can't wait each evening to listen to live performances, no matter the quality (almost). The only time I hear studio is on my car radio now. Maybe it's because we have over 500 hours of concerts and only 9 studio albums, include Coda. Maybe because I'm constantly being surprised at how fresh they could be in front of an audience. If that's not a call to release more official concerts, what is? As great as they are in the studio, as many albums as they've sold of the original 9, those discs are a smaller part of what makes them supreme - the stage.

Consider this forum - most of the interest is concerts. Best performances. And best performances of chestnuts, like Stairway, or songs rarely or never appearing live.

Anyone think of a reason to take the vinyl out of storage?

Thanks.

I was exactly like the first sentence of your post. I thought I would never listen to the studio albums ever again. However after many many years of not listening to them I now find them fresh and exciting again and am greatly enjoying them. I think I sort of burned myself out on all the live materiel over the years. And I will wager after a period of time goes by I will again find the live materiel fresh and exciting as well. I think it is a circle game.

Anyone else finding that they don't listen to their Zeppelin studio albums anymore? I grew up on the studio work and even remember waiting for the release of a new one. Which turned out to be ITTO.

Much as I loved them, I was never completely satisfied. I rarely listened to a whole "polished" album start to finish. And I probably won't again.

Now with all the great live work, I think I know why. I can't wait each evening to listen to live performances, no matter the quality (almost). The only time I hear studio is on my car radio now. Maybe it's because we have over 500 hours of concerts and only 9 studio albums, include Coda. Maybe because I'm constantly being surprised at how fresh they could be in front of an audience. If that's not a call to release more official concerts, what is? As great as they are in the studio, as many albums as they've sold of the original 9, those discs are a smaller part of what makes them supreme - the stage.

Consider this forum - most of the interest is concerts. Best performances. And best performances of chestnuts, like Stairway, or songs rarely or never appearing live.

Anyone think of a reason to take the vinyl out of storage?

Thanks.

My vinyl has NEVER been in storage.

My Led Zeppelin LPs are never in storage either, I find the concept of putting them away & never listening to them again quite an odd one.

The sequence of albums from Led Zeppelin to Physical Graffiti is arguably the greatest any band in the history of recorded music has ever made, captured by a genius in the studio (Jimmy Page). I love the live stuff too but to have to dig Led Zeppelin III out of storage every time I wanted to hear it would be a real pain.

When the first boxed sets were released, for a while those replaced the original albums, and it was interesting to listen to the songs in a different order (plus we got nice and clean versions of HHWCID, WS/BMS, TRB on I and the great BCOH on II); the feel, however, wasn't ever quite the same.

I love the complete story that each studio album and song order captures and shows where the band was creatively at that time. In addition to the brilliant, blazing live shows, this is something that I feel epitomizes the essence of the four of them working together with the ingenuity, experiences, and available technology they had, so it's actually my favourite way to hear the music.

I'm kind of fascinated by Page's work as a producer as well as his playing so I have a lot of time for the studio albums, love the remasters and now the deluxe CDs because they give away plenty of 'secrets' or perhaps should I just say I can hear stuff more clearly that I wasn't picking out before. I've a lot of time for watching what live recordings I have on DVD though and I think there will come a time when I start listening to more of the bootlegs and studying the live performances.

I have balance in my life. I don't overload on any one thing...whether it is studio albums or live albums. I also take a break now and then from Led Zeppelin and other bands from the 60s and 70s, and focus on newer sounds, so I don't burn out. Most crucially, I never, never, never ever listen to that horror that is so-called "classic rock" radio.

After I got into bootlegs I pretty much stopped listening to Studio for live, but actually it started with TSRTS. I played it till the records wore out. But for years and years probably 15 straight, the only time I heard Studio was on the radio or if someone else had put it on where ever we were.

Recently I started listening to Studio again when driving and I must say that I have missed my first love so much that I look at this conundrum Studio vs Live like this.

Studio is like my wife and Live the affair I had behind Studios back. I love Studio so much that I now realize how much simple enjoyment I was missing by leaving Studio pretty much flat and fooling around on the side with Live.

Don't get me wrong I'm not giving up live! but I will be paying a lot more attention to Studio from now on.

:superman:

After ITTOD I HAD to dig into the bootlegs; there weren't going to BE any more albums!

By the end of the seventies all my favorite bands were gone or had changed into crap (except a few: Johnny Winter, The Grateful Dead, Rush!). So I've collected boot legs of Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, The Who, Rush, Genesis, Montrose, Yes, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Robin Trower, The Doors, Queen, Rolling Stones, etc.,etc., etc. ever since.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm updating.

I just listened all studio, especially to the 4th album, on a long drive to the Texas Hill country. The prior live releases actually improved my cassette studio recordings experience. It all sounds so much fresher. So I do recommend giving the old vinyl, or cassette, a new hearing.

Now will some one kindly explain how JP got all those wonderful different voicings for RP?

I understand the basics, the double tracking on MMH, an echo on WTLB, but there must be more. It is like "one singer can't be doing all this!" I know Plant did. It almost seems that there's more than one RP, as I listen from track to track, or even within a track, say STH.

Did JP switch microphones/eq levels to change the timbre of the vocals? What special equipment did he/Kramer/Johns use?

Maybe this was covered on another post.

What engineers/producers/band members were able to accomplish! There's more variety in the voicings in one studio album, in the 4th, more so than say the entire HTWWW. The 4th really shines RP's talents as a stylist. I suppose that's one reason the album's sold multi millions. And people like me are still listening.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

i do still love listening to the studio stuff now and then. But I have every concert ever performed on bootleg, and i have been listening to them ever since i completed the collection. The studio stuff is amazing in its own right! But listening to the live shows is just amazing! I love hearing the improv and Plants plantations :) I love everything about live bootlegs :)

Here is one of the reasons why, One of the BEST improvisations of CB

Hello.

Plantations - yes.

I'm listening to ALS from Destroyer II on 4/28/77 as I write. Hope you get to more bootlegs if you haven't already heard this one. It's been upgraded and...... well, STH is starting, so I must stop!

As the years roll on, I appreciate all the work the "invisible techies" do to make older bootlegs more accessible.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's heard a new and improved 2015 bootleg.

Thanks.

Archived