record stores

kashmir75

went to the local music store to order my copy of physical graffiti and to my surprise they where closing down it seem's there are just a few music stores around got my copy from a book store sometime's a long for the good old day's were you could buy an album or even read a book sometime's technology take's away the joy

Good and bad I guess. I'm old enough to remember taking a vinyl LP home in a bag and feeling I really 'had' something special. Just the experience of browsing the record store was an event. Now though I just order a CD on Amazon and have it available on my phone immediately and the CD arrives in the post a couple of days later. I don't even have to take it out of the wrapper as the music is already available to me.

Edited by osoz

Independent musicstores, recordstores and bookstores are already gone or will soon disappear here in The Hague.
It's all big chain-stores. (It's big chain-stores like "MediaMarkt" here, they sell, dvd's, blue ray's, cd's and games. Their vinyl collection is VERY limited.....).

If I'm looking for a specific vinyl record I will need to order it on a website like www.bol.com (basically the dutch version of Amazon.....).

Even independent musicstores and bookstores are now hard to find in The Hague (For my guitar gear I need to turn to Keymusic, again a big chain, for books/magazine it's the same, nothing but large chains, with hardly any decent, personal customer service.......)

Maaike

went to the local music store to order my copy of physical graffiti and to my surprise they where closing down it seem's there are just a few music stores around got my copy from a book store sometime's a long for the good old day's were you could buy an album or even read a book sometime's technology take's away the joy

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Believe me; I have spent a lot of time thinking that over. Getting an album through a download, or in the mail - while convenient, does not really give the same high as going there yourself, choosing your own copy and bringing it home. That sense of ownership is simply not there anymore I’m afraid.

I'm only 15 years old but I know what you guys are talking about with the feeling of finding something special when you buy a vinyl. There's two Exchanges around here in Cleveland and another private one called My Mind's Eye; my friend and I went up there on bikes literally every weekend to shop. My vinyl collection is larger than my digital music collection (which is a lot!!) The feeling of finding something you've been looking for is addicting! It's like I'm having a withdrawal every winter cause I can't go out and get some records! :freezing: I'm lucky here that there are still a few around, it's gonna be rough if the stores close down. Now that I think about it, I still need to go up to My Mind's Eye and get a Zep boot over in the corner I hid!

But I agree, the whole concept of driving somewhere to get a physical copy of music that has value is gone. Everything is completely digital now, which is really a shame...

Edited by lcondo123

any in Toronto on another topic I was 15 when john Bonham passed away and friends that are slightly older than me some say they hate zeppelin because they were played to death on radio and other one's love them there is no in between with them people who were around then is this true if this has been posted before sorry and thanks in advance

I use to think I gave the LPs and vinyl singles I bought more of a chance.

You know you would go to the effort of going out and buying it, taking it home, carefully taking it out of the sleeve, putting it on the turntable, if it didn't immediately grab me, with all that effort I put into it I would listen over and over anyway. A lot of stuff grew on me and 'stuck' that way. Now it's just all too easy to move on after the first 30 seconds and go listen to something else.

This brings back great memories, grew up in Glasgow where we had Listen Records and Bruce's Records, eventually Virgin and HMV came to town.

In Listen, they had booths, we bit privacy and you could listen to a few tracks or a single etc.

Remember, vividly, buying Cream: Wheels of Fire and Moodies: Lost Chord, few guys gathered out side the booth to eavesdrop.

And yes the feeling of going home with few records in tow, reading the covers etc

Happy days.

I agree it is really sad but with no stereo I am getting used to keeping songs on phone and computer altho I still want the official cd release...I resisted a long time but realized cd's will b impossible to find like VHS very soon I do remember the days when just playing with the PG package was interesting while listening for first time but, of the people I know -I am 52- and no one under 40 has a stereo system at home and i can't even afford one myself so now if they indeed still make them.... it is sad...even sadder to me are books disappearance...I was at Best Buy last week and their cd selection is incredibly small and they are doing away with it altogether by Xmas 2016.

Here's a record store in Melbourne, Australia that has been in operation for many years.
Attracting customers from all over the world.
Most of the stock in this store is VINYL.
Yesterday Matt Cameron from Soundgarden/Pearl Jam was there along with our favourite photographer, Ross Halfin.
Picture courtesy of Ross Halfin.MattCameron.jpg

All of you would love it up here in Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota. There are at least a dozen stores that deal in

Vinyl and other formats... cheapo records, Eclipse records, Half Price and more. I have scored some minty used vinyl for $5 or less many times!

I do agree with all of you about the whole experience of going to a record store, browsing and seeing what grabs you, be it the cover, the title of the songs, etc. While downloads are super convenient, it takes the "magic" out of it, so to say.

But aren't we all to blame?I questioned a guy who had a local record store

that was closing down ,he told me was sick of people coming in looking at product

then leaving shop and buying on Amazon. The ones that really pissed him off were the ones

that had the nerve to ask him why he was more expensive than Amazon. Doh!! to quote Homer J.

If we all wanted local services we would pay local (higher prices) for the service they provide.

We don't because its all about price and convenience.

• 11 months later...

We have a record store that is historical in central Phoenix.  The store is called Trax In Wax. It's been open since 1982.  Trax In Wax . I've picked up quite a bit of stuff there. Going there tomorrow.

56c3f6c1e543a_TraxInWax..jpg.322c9805124

56c3f6df63d31_TraxInWax...jpg.07846c94f356c3f7084deb3_TraxInWax....jpg.df9160c4556c3fbc089aed_TraxInWax........jpg.d2ee5

56c3f740ef9a7_TraxInWax.....jpg.f2f3f65856c3f75e8dc07_TraxInWax......jpg.c17651f

56c3f787df820_TraxInWax.......jpg.919ad6

That is the owner Julie O'Mahar Chiesa in the above picture. To the right of the counter on the floor is right where they used to have the crates filled with boots and you could only look through them only with strict permisssion, I picked up so much Led Zeppelin stuff in those crates.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/tracks-in-wax-records-to-go-on-after-passing-of-owner-dennis-chiesa-says-julie-omahar-chiesa-6587610

Edited by luvlz2

Trax on Wax looks amazing and brings back so many memories of great record shops.

I have mentioned this before but I live in an area of the UK called County Durham. As a teenager I think I had access to at least 11 record shops. They are all gone now. First the tiny independent shops went but what really did the damage was the demise of the chains. I relied on their departments and even they used to put a varied stock out. Considering we have a university town a few miles away not having a store in the entire county is staggering. I still cannot get my head around seeing CD's in a supermarket next to the canned goods; and even then their is not much to choose from.

Some of my happiest memories is wondering as a teen with my mates from record shop to shop looking to see what they had and coming home on a bus excited to listen to the new vinyl I had purchased.

On a side note how on earth did the label's not keep control of their assets (the music itself). The new distribution methods seems to dominate the labels. I am possible too old to understand the new digital world but it seemed catch the industry totally off guard.

Edited by anniemouse

That looks like a cool store luvlz2, they are rare in this part of the world nowadays. There used to be a used music store that had cd's, lp's, dvd's etc, as well as some collectibles. However, his prices were not the greatest & he's not around anymore. Enjoy it before it disappears.