Steve Vai

The Pagemeister

The most relaxed guitar player I have ever seen even though what he plays is very complicated. I guess working for Frank Zappa as a transcriber helped! He wrote a series of articles back in the 90s for GUITAR PLAYER and not one article had to do with technique. It was all about attitude, emotion etc. A superb guitar player.

The most relaxed guitar player I have ever seen even though what he plays is very complicated. I guess working for Frank Zappa as a transcriber helped! He wrote a series of articles back in the 90s for GUITAR PLAYER and not one article had to do with technique. It was all about attitude, emotion etc. A superb guitar player.

This is a classic Vai bit where he sounds fantastic to my ears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0iCUuGzco

I agree that Steve Vai is a great guitar player. I saw him 3 times early in his career(solo, 2 times Roth). He is very original. The only

Problem I had with him is that he has little or no blues influence in his playing. But that is what makes him unique. He also tends to

Throw in a lot of cartoon like music in his playing. No doubt from Zappa.

Did you know that to get a perfect take on 'For the Love of god' from the 'Passion and Warfare' album according to an interview he gave to 'Musician' magazine about the recording of the 'Passion and Warfare' album Vai said he meditated for seven days before laying down the track.

Did you know that to get a perfect take on 'For the Love of god' from the 'Passion and Warfare' album according to an interview he gave to 'Musician' magazine about the recording of the 'Passion and Warfare' album Vai said he meditated for seven days before laying down the track.

I believe it. That cd is also really good. There are all kinds of music from blues to jazz (track called Sisters) to Van Halen hard rock. The Van Halen type track is him as a school kid introduced to the class by his teacher. He starts playing and it quickly gets crazy with the teacher loosing control of the class. Reminiscent of Hot for Teacher by Van Halen. He is putting that Eventide Harmonizer to full use on that cd.

I agree that Steve Vai is a great guitar player. I saw him 3 times early in his career(solo, 2 times Roth). He is very original. The only

Problem I had with him is that he has little or no blues influence in his playing. But that is what makes him unique. He also tends to

Throw in a lot of cartoon like music in his playing. No doubt from Zappa.

Rarely plays the blues scale. Uses other scales like Phygrian, Lydian, and Mixolydian. Definitely check out the Whitesnake cd Slip of the Tongue. He fills in as the guitar player on that cd. The original guitar player was suffering from a hand injury and could not play. He really rocks out on that cd but he also gets animal sounds on a specific track called Kitten's Got Claws. (Cat's meowing and tigers growling- uses the strings with the tremolo bar)

Well, believe it or not, unlike other highly technical guitar players, Vai was actually very much into Zep and Page. Credit goes to him

For not copping Jimmy's licks, and just appreciating him for the soulful player he is. Because I have a built in bias against players

who don't have some blues feel, I can't listen to such players for too long. Yngwie is another player who is an innovator(although IMO

Vai is much more well rounded) who goes off the cliff without much to hold on to. No problem with classical music, just someone

Who is a great soloist without real good songs or extended listening tolerance.

Well, believe it or not, unlike other highly technical guitar players, Vai was actually very much into Zep and Page. Credit goes to him

For not copping Jimmy's licks, and just appreciating him for the soulful player he is. Because I have a built in bias against players

who don't have some blues feel, I can't listen to such players for too long. Yngwie is another player who is an innovator(although IMO

Vai is much more well rounded) who goes off the cliff without much to hold on to. No problem with classical music, just someone

Who is a great soloist without real good songs or extended listening tolerance.

Here is my issue with Vai, he had something good going with David Lee Roth and it fell apart, he had something good going with David Coverdale and it fell apart - is it because he is like Vivivan Campbell who hadn't found the right project until he was in Def Leppard and now is a happy dude - or does Vai not like being in a band at all? I do like his playing but it seems like it's just an excuse to solo for the sake of the solo. I like the solo to be part of the song, not just the song. It's like Joe Satriani I love his stuff in Chickenfoot because it sounds much more balanced to my ears.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/22/2015 at 8:28 PM, sixpense said:

Rarely plays the blues scale. Uses other scales like Phygrian, Lydian, and Mixolydian. Definitely check out the Whitesnake cd Slip of the Tongue. He fills in as the guitar player on that cd. The original guitar player was suffering from a hand injury and could not play. He really rocks out on that cd but he also gets animal sounds on a specific track called Kitten's Got Claws. (Cat's meowing and tigers growling- uses the strings with the tremolo bar)

And yes, that Kitten Got Claws has a really interesting opening, the way he bends the strings is interesting - but the rest of Kitten Got Claws is not really to my taste 

• 3 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:29 PM, Charles J. White said:

And yes, that Kitten Got Claws has a really interesting opening, the way he bends the strings is interesting - but the rest of Kitten Got Claws is not really to my taste 

fabulous album if the memory is correct Steve Vai plays all the guitars on the album, wasn't sure why he did...

Archived