Looking Ahead: the Next Three Releases - Presence ITTOD and Coda

I'm enjoying the new PG release so much right now, but am starting to think ahead to the remaining releases, and specifically, Jimmy's promotional interview strategy behind these releases. It's kind of sad really, since tragedy #1 struck the band 40 years ago August 4, which forced them into writing Presence. Then tragedy #2 resulted in a long layoff and ultimately ITTOD, with band health issues contributing to that recording like it did Presence. Finally, we get Coda, put together because of the final tragedy.

What has been a joyous set of releases and memories so far for Jimmy, and promoting them, now takes a darker turn, as he has to address the dark periods surrounding these next three releases. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all three get released at once, like the first three albums, so that Jimmy only has to execute one big round of promotional interviews for all three reissues. On top of that, I wouldn't expect to see any of them released before August, coinciding the timing of this week's PG release date 40 years to the day, and the good vibes the band had up until August 4, 1975.

Will be interesting to see and hear Jimmy's memories and tone in his promotional interviews for these next three reissues. I wouldn't imagine it to be as much fun for Jimmy, addressing all the questions surrounding the tragedies, his physical health at the time, etc..., and it makes me sad thinking about it.

That said, I love love love all three albums and can't wait to see the companion disc surprises Jimmy has in store for us. Best wishes on the promotional schedule for these next three releases Jimmy!

Ancient history. I doubt Jimmy will feel anything at this point, just like most people don't feel grief 40 years after difficult times. Besides, both Jimmy and Robert have stated at different times that Presence was their favorite album. It's funny how people think that these guys still suffer from palpable emotion from tragedies and difficulties of the past, all these years later.

The blues ain't nothing but a good man feeling down, or as Beck would say, "You can't write if you can't relate, Trade the cash for the beef, For the body for the hate.

All Zep albums are masterpieces due to the place & time the band were in at the moment. Presence could not have been possible without Rhodes first; ITTOD would not exist without Karac's passing and Jimmy & John's issues. It's all relative and some of the best art comes from pain and experience. I am sure Jimmy, Robert, & JPJ look at all their albums with fondness for what they were and what they expressed.

i think if Jimmy waited to release the band's three least commercially successful albums until August, he'd be doing them a disservice. he needs to just get them out.

I'm talking no later than June. Those albums will be a tough sell (not for me or probably any of us) and waiting too long after PG won't help sales at all.

stuff like:

an obelisk for Presence

multiple covers and brown paper for ITTOD

and unreleased songs for Coda

will help each album's plight, but please Jimmy...get these out sooner rather than later.

Now excuse me while i turn up The Rover to 11.

Other than the next - and last - three remastered albums sounding superb and utterly immaculate, I think it will go down something like thus;

Presence - companion disc containing early rough mixes.

In Through The Out Door - again, early alternate mixes, one cover variation with the other alternate covers contained in the accompanying booklet.

Coda - now this is where it potentially gets REALLY interesting; will the first disc be the original 1982 release, with the second disc containing the four tracks added in the 1993 expanded version plus whatever goodies Mr Page has been saving for the coup de grace? Jimmy stated he found "two new things" on the analogue tape containing the rough studio mixes of the Presence material, so it's almost certain those two songs (whatever they are) will be on the remastered Coda... anything past that, I've no idea, but I can't wait to find out!

Boy, did I pick one helluva time to become a Zep-head, happy days indeed :stereo: ...

Boy, did I pick one helluva time to become a Zep-head, happy days indeed :stereo: ...

You've not quite made Zep Head status yet Hermit. you're still in the Member category, but Your time is gonna come.... :lol:

i think if Jimmy waited to release the band's three least commercially successful albums until August, he'd be doing them a disservice. he needs to just get them out.

I'm talking no later than June. Those albums will be a tough sell (not for me or probably any of us) and waiting too long after PG won't help sales at all.

There is no indication that we will have to wait until after June to get the sets.

I agree with the folks saying June. The first three rounds of releases have been roughly four months apart. Based on PG's release date, that would put the final three in mid to late June. June also would be one year since the original releases, a nice bookend. And I am highly confident all three will be released at once, for the simple reason that if the legendary Zep I, II, and III all were released together, then the final three albums, which let's face are significantly less legendary, don't merit individual releases.

So my money's on all three getting released together on a Tuesday in June (Monday in Europe).

I agree with the folks saying June. The first three rounds of releases have been roughly four months apart. Based on PG's release date, that would put the final three in mid to late June. June also would be one year since the original releases, a nice bookend. And I am highly confident all three will be released at once, for the simple reason that if the legendary Zep I, II, and III all were released together, then the final three albums, which let's face are significantly less legendary, don't merit individual releases.

So my money's on all three getting released together on a Tuesday in June (Monday in Europe).

I concur. This is most likely how it will go down......last three in June.....and I can't wait !!!! The book that comes in the deluxe editions is brilliant. Well done Mr.Jimmy. Plants voice on this release of Physical never sounded better.

its funny you went out of your way to say a Tuesday in late June (in America)....its looking like during the summer new albums will start to come out Stateside on Fridays.

So hopefully a Friday in June? haha

Further to my ruminations about the remastered Coda, I'm thinking the standard version will be a two-disc set with the deluxe a triple-disc set;

Disc 1 - the original 1982 version (8 tracks).

Disc 2 - the four tracks added for the 1990's expanded version + new previously unheard/unreleased tracks.

Disc 3 - the companion disc, rough/early/alternate miixes.

I concur with the sentiment of all three albums getting a June release, the sooner the better...

Further to my ruminations about the remastered Coda, I'm thinking the standard version will be a two-disc set with the deluxe a triple-disc set;

Disc 2 - the four tracks added for the 1990's expanded version + new previously unheard/unreleased tracks.

I concur with the sentiment of all three albums getting a June release, the sooner the better...

Perhaps it'll happen that way? I'm wondering,and this might seem crazy......add the four extra songs to the original album (making it more of a "proper" release with 12 songs) and a companion disk (disc 2)with further unknown outtakes from who knows what years ? Looking the most forward to the final three releases.....esp. the deluxe editions. Page has done a brilliant job so far. I couldn't be happier!! Physical is amazing.

The blues ain't nothing but a good man feeling down, or as Beck would say, "You can't write if you can't relate, Trade the cash for the beef, For the body for the hate.

All Zep albums are masterpieces due to the place & time the band were in at the moment. Presence could not have been possible without Rhodes first; ITTOD would not exist without Karac's passing and Jimmy & John's issues. It's all relative and some of the best art comes from pain and experience. I am sure Jimmy, Robert, & JPJ look at all their albums with fondness for what they were and what they expressed.

Well said. IMHO the bands last three studio albums are as important and brilliant as any other Zeppelin album. They're all interchangeable as far as brilliance to me. I have always wondered what the vibe of both those Presence and ITTOD would have been if they had stayed in the UK to record?

Well said. IMHO the bands last three studio albums are as important and brilliant as any other Zeppelin album. They're all interchangeable as far as brilliance to me. I have always wondered what the vibe of both those Presence and ITTOD would have been if they had stayed in the UK to record?

Perhaps some of the material on the Presence and ITTOD companion discs will be labeled (Alternate UK Mix In Progress) like another track...

I think the next 3 are going to be as great as the last 6.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for a track or two from Zeppelin I will be on Coda... A rough/alternate take of any song from I would be amazing IMO!

......add the four extra songs to the original album (making it more of a "proper" release with 12 songs) and a companion disk (disc 2)with further unknown outtakes from who knows what years ?

The thing is that these albums are being re-released on vinyl as well as digital formats, that wasn't the case with the expanded edition of Coda in 1993, and thus time constraints for the vinyl format demand the original 1982 version alone be the first disc in the upcoming remastered version, that leaves the four bonus tracks from the aforementioned 1993 release plus any previously unreleased new (emphasis on new, not alternate mixes of already released) tracks be added for the second disc, which will again fit onto a single vinyl record... hence a double set.

Say what you will about the latter period of LZ, but some of the best material the band ever put out was during this tumultuous period - Coda included - and these last three remastered releases are the ones I've been looking forward to the most for some reason... ITTOD especially could be a revelation with a good remaster...

My often faulty sources still say Coda is a holiday release...I don't see it coming with the other two Hope I am wrong..did Robert and Jimmy really say Presence is their fav? It is in my top 3 andI thought I was the only one out there with so much love for this... I play this way more than the first I,II and untitled 4th

As Coda is only 30 minutes long, they could fit anohter 50 minutes on there. I would suggest it being:

Disc One

12+ tracks including the 1990 bonus tracks and adding the extra songs rumoured to be on there. They could fit quite a few on there.

Disc Two

Alternate mixes of those tracks incluidng alternate mixes of the extra new ones.

As Coda is only 30 minutes long, they could fit anohter 50 minutes on there. I would suggest it being:

Disc One

12+ tracks including the 1990 bonus tracks and adding the extra songs rumoured to be on there. They could fit quite a few on there.

Disc Two

Alternate mixes of those tracks incluidng alternate mixes of the extra new ones.

This is the way I see it too. Also, all three being released in June which would be right on time with the four month schedule. Summer music to crank up !! Looking forward to the books that come with the deluxe edition for these three remaining releases.What a great time for Zeppelin fans !!

The first week of December will commemorate the 45th anniversary of the official statement announcing the end of Led Zeppelin.

A December 4th (or thereabouts) release of Coda would be a fitting conclusion date for the re-releases...and conveniently fall into the holiday season.

I can't see this happening. Why celebrate a release on the day the band ended? That's a day we'd all like to forget. I believe Page will package the last three albums as he did the first three releases. Cheers ?

Keep in mind that the discs are limited by the long of a vinyl LP. Also keep in mind that Page recently said in an interview that the companion disc for Physical Graffiti always was planned to be only one disc, to keep it consistent with the rest of the releases. (Yes, the Zep I companion is 2 LPs, but that whole release is an exception because he had to use a live show.)

So if the mighty PG doesn't merit more than a single LP's worth of companion material, I'm sorry to say that Coda definitely won't either.

This also means that the main album reissue of Coda will not contain the tracks tacked onto the 1993 remaster - because those extra tracks won't fit on the LP version. So those tracks will end up on the bonus disc.

So IMHO we actually have a very good idea of what 3/4 of Coda's companion disc will contain. In no particular order:

- Hey Hey What Can I Do

- Baby Come on Home

- BBC White Summer

- Alt. version of Bonzo's Montreux (per a Page interview where he says he has that)

- Alt. or original version of Poor Tom (per a source of mine that I don't consider rock-solid, but that I do consider pretty reliable)

- Some version of Swan Song (no hard evidence, but I would be shocked if this didn't make it on to the disc)

That's 6 tracks right there, and using the previous releases as a guide, and the LP length limit, there's no way Page is going to put more than 8 tracks on the Coda companion disc. (Traveling Riverside Blues also appeared on the expanded 1993 Coda CD, but since it later came out on the BBC Sessions release in 1997, I doubt this track will show up on the Coda companion disc.)

So that leaves room for 1 or 2 truly never before heard tracks - and even that assumes that Page won't include alt. versions of any other Coda tracks on the companion disc.

Because of that, and because the legendary Zep I, II, and III were all released together, I'd say there's no way in the world Coda will merit a solo release - instead it will come out along with Presence and ITTOD, probably in June.

Archived