Live song(s) for which Plant's loss of high notes is the more problematic

appiantiqua

It's never bothered me that Robert wasn't able to sing the "high" notes later in his career live in concert.

I enjoyed Robert singing high, but I did not love LZ and Robert because he could sing high notes.

Nobody on the planet can sing LZ like RP can, regardless of the register. NOBODY !!

Never really bothered me much. By 1977 he had regained most of his power, so it was only 1973 and 1975 that his vocals were affected to a certain degree. Since Physical Graffiti was recorded with his raspy vocals, the PG songs didn't suffer much in concert during the 1975 tour. OTHAFA and Rain Song sounded fine to me, as well. It bothered me more that Robert never sang the line "Many have I loved, many times been bitten" in OTHAFA than his singing in a lower register.

Really, the only song I thought suffered from Robert's loss of upper register after his throat surgery was "Rock and Roll". The slower tempo coupled with the lower vocal register really made this song drag in concert, which coupled with the unfamiliar at the time "Sick Again" gave the 1975 concerts a leaden start at times.

• 3 weeks later...

I think by 1977 what Robert lacked in high register he definitely made up for in pure power. Sure, Robert couldn't hit the highs on Over the Hills in 77, but power that he put into it totally makes it up IMO. Same with Rock and Roll in 77, his power I think was as good as the higher registers.

If we are talking purely 1975 stuff, then Rock and Roll definitely suffered from his vocals. Robert was still tryin to hit those higher notes while his voice cracked and squeaked, which didn't sound so hot. I personally think that 75 was just rough cause of Percy's squeaky vocals, but by 77 he had tons of power to use.

It's never bothered me that Robert wasn't able to sing the "high" notes later in his career live in concert.

I think by 1977 what Robert lacked in high register he definitely made up for in pure power. Sure, Robert couldn't hit the highs on Over the Hills in 77, but power that he put into it totally makes it up IMO. Same with Rock and Roll in 77, his power I think was as good as the higher registers.

Totally agree with these posts. If anything, the early shows suffered from too much histrionics. Love his lower registers and power, esp the 77 tour.

In my point of view OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY should unambiguously require high notes !

The lines "Many Have ..." or "Many times" are meaningless when sung in low register

Giving a listen to Robert's attempt at singing "Over The Hills" in the higher pitch on the 13 June '77 New York gig...well, he gave it the old college try but it didn't really come off. As a general rule, though, I prefer Plant singing in the lower register- his high pitched banshee wailing in Zeppelin's early days wears thin for me real fast LOL

Really, the only song I thought suffered from Robert's loss of upper register after his throat surgery was "Rock and Roll". The slower tempo coupled with the lower vocal register really made this song drag in concert, which coupled with the unfamiliar at the time "Sick Again" gave the 1975 concerts a leaden start at times.

Totally. IMO "Rock And Roll" should have never been the opening song in 1975, it does drag, and listening to Plant trying to croak/bark his way through it on some of those gigs is comparable to George Harrison on the 1974 "Dark Horse" tour. It's too bad the '75 U.S. tour was essentially Zep in "playing it safe" mode (IMO) otherwise they should have done something really ballsy and opened up with something like "The Wanton Song"...

• 4 months later...

These are some really good points and opinions! I agree with most! I really actually like that Robert gave up the old banshee wailing. I like OTHAFA in 75 and 77 I think it still sounded great the way they did it. AnD even the rain song still sounded beautiful! I did used to think that they should have dropped Over the hills when he couldnt hit the highs anymore, for a different song. But i grew out of that thinking. What they did they did to the best of their abilities. When Robert realized he couldnt hit the highs anymore, he did what he could to make it work, AND IT WORKED!!! And like someone said in the comments here, He really made up for that in PURE POWER! Man in 77 he was really enjoying himself and was just such a powerhouse! A lot of 77 songs give me chills when he sings! Ten Years Gone 1977 is one of my faves!

Archived