Peter Grant in the RNRHOF?

zosodude13

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Peter Grant be in the RNRHOF?

• Yes
    • No

• 4 weeks later...
Of course he should be in there. Best manager ever, who always put his acts first.

How would like have liked to have dealt with him though? A bit on the crazy side. Robert must have really got a few chuckles out of his actions. A true businessman, maybe a bit too greedy but he had the enviable position of having Zeppelin.

How would like have liked to have dealt with him though? A bit on the crazy side. Robert must have really got a few chuckles out of his actions. A true businessman, maybe a bit too greedy but he had the enviable position of having Zeppelin.

A bit too greedy? LMMFAOo0o0... I will just leave it at that.

Peter Grant changed the music industry forever. He put the money where it belonged. In the hands of the Artist.

Most people really have no clue who he is, or the huge impact he has had in the music industry.

The man is a true legend, and pioneer. It was a perfect pairing. A match made in Heaven, or hell, depending on how you look at things. Peter Grant was many things.

Greedy, was not one of them. BTW, I'd have loved to have dealt with him on a professional level, or any other.

A bit too greedy? LMMFAOo0o0... I will just leave it at that.

Peter Grant changed the music industry forever. He put the money where it belonged. In the hands of the Artist.

Most people really have no clue who he is, or the huge impact he has had in the music industry.

The man is a true legend, and pioneer. It was a perfect pairing. A match made in Heaven, or hell, depending on how you look at things. Peter Grant was many things.

Greedy, was not one of them. BTW, I'd have loved to have dealt with him on a professional level, or any other.

Well I wish I could figure out all of your abbrevialtions. Im sure they were more or less telling me to go fuck myself. Why not just spell it out so I can understand it. The man made an ass out of himself at times regardless of what you say. And am I supposed to fucking worship him because he was the manager of the best band of all time-I think not. He didnt sing or play guitar last time I checked. And he was fucking greedy. Worried about the sale of a few t shirts. May be rest in peace. I dont hate the man, but he got carried away just like you.

Well I wish I could figure out all of your abbrevialtions. Im sure they were more or less telling me to go fuck myself. Why not just spell it out so I can understand it. The man made an ass out of himself at times regardless of what you say. And am I supposed to fucking worship him because he was the manager of the best band of all time-I think not. He didnt sing or play guitar last time I checked. And he was fucking greedy. Worried about the sale of a few t shirts. May be rest in peace. I dont hate the man, but he got carried away just like you.

You are so wrong here it's not funny.

#1.I was not telling you to go fuck yourself.

#2.My abbreviations is one of laughter. Laughing my fucking ass off=LMFAO.

No one asked you to worship him, I only stated my opinion.

#3.I do not know anyone who has not made an ass out of himself at some point.

#4. You saying he is greedy.. Well, I guess I'd have to explain this for you to understand, I do not feel like it. Do your own reading before you spout off about something you obviously have no clue about.

#5. A few Tee Shirts. Now that is a moronic comment. Sorry, nothing personal.

#6. You think I got carried away? Maybe if you had any knowledge of this subject we could debate that. Until you do, yes, it is me who got carried away.

Seriously, nothing personal, you just have no idea what you are commenting on.

You are so wrong here it's not funny.

#1.I was not telling you to go fuck yourself.

#2.My abbreviations is one of laughter. Laughing my fucking ass off=LMFAO.

No one asked you to worship him, I only stated my opinion.

#3.I do not know anyone who has not made an ass out of himself at some point.

#4. You saying he is greedy.. Well, I guess I'd have to explain this for you to understand, I do not feel like it. Do your own reading before you spout off about something you obviously have no clue about.

#5. A few Tee Shirts. Now that is a moronic comment. Sorry, nothing personal.

#6. You think I got carried away? Maybe if you had any knowledge of this subject we could debate that. Until you do, yes, it is me who got carried away.

Seriously, nothing personal, you just have no idea what you are commenting on.

Well I have seen much footage of the man. May he rest in peace like I said. With the unlimited amount of money they had at their disposal and unlimited future money, even to this day, I wouldnt say its a stretch to say greedy. OK. He was a good businessman, especially for the times and what he had to deal with. He did go a bit overboard with his demeanor in my opinion but he was a fiery character and knowing what Plant and Page are like, they seemed like an unlikely match to me. Nothing personal against you, I know you are well respected member of this board and I did misinterpret the letters. Im sad that Grant is no longer of this earth. Certainly his legacy will remain forever. But I just dont agree with the way he did some things. He was tough on some that didnt deserve his wrath. But, we all make mistakes.

Well I have seen much footage of the man. May he rest in peace like I said. With the unlimited amount of money they had at their disposal and unlimited future money, even to this day, I wouldnt say its a stretch to say greedy. OK. He was a good businessman, especially for the times and what he had to deal with. He did go a bit overboard with his demeanor in my opinion but he was a fiery character and knowing what Plant and Page are like, they seemed like an unlikely match to me. Nothing personal against you, I know you are well respected member of this board and I did misinterpret the letters. Im sad that Grant is no longer of this earth. Certainly his legacy will remain forever. But I just dont agree with the way he did some things. He was tough on some that didnt deserve his wrath. But, we all make mistakes.

Ok, I'd be more then happy to explain a bit here, even at the prospect that you will not understand at conclusion, I respect you have your own opinion.

These few tee shirts you talk of, bootlegging merchandise is a multi billion dollar industry. One that is uncontrollable for the most part.

That aside, lets say you own your own business. You sell tee shirts k? Someone stands in-front of your door, and is selling copies of the shirts you have for sale right outside the front door of your store, and they are selling a ton of them because they look nice and are a better price then inside your store. Would that piss you off a bit? lol... Follow me here? This is a very scaled down example I know, but if you understand that this person is profiting off of something they really have no rights too, and right in front of your door, I think you'd be a bit pissed off too.

Peter Grant is almost solely responsible for taking the money out of the corporate greed mongers hands and placing it back where it belongs. In the hands of the artists. The promoters and record board execs are the greedy ones. They took everything they could, and when there was nothing left, they took the artist dignity away. Grant, having the hottest commodity at the time, showed the music industry that 10% of Led Zeppelin was better then 90% of anything else. He showed them he could book his own shows. Your service is no longer needed! Take 10%, or...Fuck off..

Yes He was hated. Yes, he was feared. Why? Because he took away the cash cow that the greedy record companies and greedy promoters had been stealing for so many many years by turning the tables on them. Who was the bully? Who was the greedy one? Zeppelin flaunted what they had, guess what? Peter Grant made it so. How?

They mother fucking earned it.

Peter Grant is a legend who changed the way the music business operates today. Looking out for the best interests of the people who employ you by stopping pirates and bootleggers at every opportunity and negotiating the best deals with labels and promoters isn't greed, it was his job!

I think a lot of people forget that the music business as it is today didn't exist then, guys like Peter Grant invented it out of thin air. They got their acts played and paid in new ways and in the music business everyone is trying to make a buck off your back. At that point in time the music business was much more like prison, don't show weakness or you get beaten. The Oakland 77 incident is a blemish on a great career but I think in todays slick world where mangers are lawyers with connections end electronic communication makes it easy to spread information quickly and efficiently everybody forgets that back then you were on your own. A lot of people don't realize that the concert business was a cash business back then. They took shoe boxes of cash back at the end of the night. Fear and intimidation were necessary to a point and if you read his biography, you'll see his fearsome reputation led to them getting their way whenever they needed it. Do you think the promoter in TSRTS would dare try and short them on the gate money after a guy that big blew up about a guy who snuck in to sell posters?

Also interesting is that he never had a written contract with the band, handshake deal the whole time. I think that says volumes about his character and the relation ship they had with each other. He truly loved the band.

Peter Grant is a legend who changed the way the music business operates today. Looking out for the best interests of the people who employ you by stopping pirates and bootleggers at every opportunity and negotiating the best deals with labels and promoters isn't greed, it was his job!

I think a lot of people forget that the music business as it is today didn't exist then, guys like Peter Grant invented it out of thin air. They got their acts played and paid in new ways and in the music business everyone is trying to make a buck off your back. At that point in time the music business was much more like prison, don't show weakness or you get beaten. The Oakland 77 incident is a blemish on a great career but I think in todays slick world where mangers are lawyers with connections end electronic communication makes it easy to spread information quickly and efficiently everybody forgets that back then you were on your own. A lot of people don't realize that the concert business was a cash business back then. They took shoe boxes of cash back at the end of the night. Fear and intimidation were necessary to a point and if you read his biography, you'll see his fearsome reputation led to them getting their way whenever they needed it. Do you think the promoter in TSRTS would dare try and short them on the gate money after a guy that big blew up about a guy who snuck in to sell posters?

Also interesting is that he never had a written contract with the band, handshake deal the whole time. I think that says volumes about his character and the relation ship they had with each other. He truly loved the band.

You referred to the 77 Oakland incident. Was that some kind of bar fight he and Bonzo got into? I cant remember

You referred to the 77 Oakland incident. Was that some kind of bar fight he and Bonzo got into? I cant remember

That was where his son was backstage taking the signs off the dressing trailer doors and one of Bill Grahm's guys took the signs back from him and his son Warren allegedly told him the guy pushed him so Bonham, Grant, Cole and Bindon, all coked out of their minds, beat the stage hand within an inch of his life. John Bondon was actually trying to gouge his eyes out. A few days later Robert Plants son died.

There were many sides to Peter Grant too. A little story, legendary in my part of the world....... - after Bonzo appeared on TTTV's "Alright Now", he told the fans that he waited behind and chatted to that he had loved the show, that Billy Connolly (the presenter,who had been allowed to choose the guests) had wanted the whole band to appear, and that he thought that was a great idea and he was going to tell them that they SHOULD.

So, one of the very excited kids present went home and wrote to the producer of the show, congratulating him and stuff, and repeating what Bonzo had said, saying he should strike while the iron was hot and push for Zeppelin to be booked on the show. The producer sent the letter on to Peter Grant - I guess as part of said "push"- and that same day, that young and excited kid got a phone call from the biggest and most fearsome manager in the world at that time, thanking her for her letter and being an absolute sweetheart to her. That someone like him would take the time and trouble to do something like that spoke volumes about the man to me, and I looked at him in a very different way from then on.

There were many sides to Peter Grant too. A little story, legendary in my part of the world....... - after Bonzo appeared on TTTV's "Alright Now", he told the fans that he waited behind and chatted to that he had loved the show, that Billy Connolly (the presenter,who had been allowed to choose the guests) had wanted the whole band to appear, and that he thought that was a great idea and he was going to tell them that they SHOULD.

So, one of the very excited kids present went home and wrote to the producer of the show, congratulating him and stuff, and repeating what Bonzo had said, saying he should strike while the iron was hot and push for Zeppelin to be booked on the show. The producer sent the letter on to Peter Grant - I guess as part of said "push"- and that same day, that young and excited kid got a phone call from the biggest and most fearsome manager in the world at that time, thanking her for her letter and being an absolute sweetheart to her. That someone like him would take the time and trouble to do something like that spoke volumes about the man to me, and I looked at him in a very different way from then on.

Wow, that's just lovely. Thanks for sharing that Knebby. Just goes to show that old adage about "never judging a book by its cover" holds quite true. The public only saw one side and that clearly was not what Peter Grant was about. I can only begin to imagine what it must have been like to receive such a phone call, not to mention having that opportunity to chat with Bonzo. Sigh....special memories indeed :)

The "gangster" and the little girl. Great story. Thank you for posting it.

• 1 month later...

Peter could still go into the RNRHOF under the "Non-performer" catagory and join other great people who didnt play guitar or sing... including George Martin and Ahmet Ertegun

so he could still go in... and who knows, had LZ not been managed by Grant... things could have been MUCH different

knebby, that is a great story! never heard that one before and a testimate to the softer-side of him!

Peter could still go into the RNRHOF under the "Non-performer" catagory and join other great people who didnt play guitar or sing... including George Martin and Ahmet Ertegun

so he could still go in... and who knows, had LZ not been managed by Grant... things could have been MUCH different

knebby, that is a great story! never heard that one before and a testimate to the softer-side of him!

Grant should be in under nonperformer, no question about it. He was a ruthless business man, but from the many stories, it was obviously just a job, aside from a few small incidents. It's not like he was goin round kickin everybodies ass.

Page should be in under nonperformer if George Martin is. Hell, Martin is basically in there for the Beatles, and Page produced and engineered the Zeppelin records, where as Martin hired that out.

And while we're on it, if the man that Martin hired for Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's, Geoff Emerich(sp?), isn't in there, then that's just a travesty.

Also, no Rush? They have had around 25 consecutive gold albums.

I think maybe you haven't fully taken it in what the situation was like back then, seeing as though bands were usually ripped off by everybody: managers, tour promoters, employees, merchandise sellers, publishers, record label...

Peter Grant was one of the first people in the business who made it honest.

Look at The Beatles: they never received a single dollar from all those Beatles wigs and other merchandise. The guy who original set up the deal, split the profits 90/10 in his favour! They were ripped off on their movies, they only received £30,000 from A Hard Days Night, when the movie studio made millions...

When The Beatles toured Australia in 1964, they were paid less money than their support act! Who was Sounds Incorporated.

Their publisher, Dick James, ripped them off. He made more money out of their songs than they did, then sold all the rights to the songs to Lew Grade...

The concert promoters would pay the Beatles say £2,000 for gig, but the concert promoters would take home about £12,000

And this sort of thing was happening to nearly every band back in those days.

But Peter Grant was one of the first to stop it.

Now you might not have liked his methods, but don't forget a lot of the people he was dealing with were gansters themselves or had Mob connections. One concert promoter allegedly pulled a gun on Peter, so you know, he had to be tough, because it was a tough industry.

And from all accounts that I have read, Peter was nice to people, unless they were ripping him off.

I think maybe you haven't fully taken it in what the situation was like back then, seeing as though bands were usually ripped off by everybody: managers, tour promoters, employees, merchandise sellers, publishers, record label...

Peter Grant was one of the first people in the business who made it honest.

Look at The Beatles: they never received a single dollar from all those Beatles wigs and other merchandise. The guy who original set up the deal, split the profits 90/10 in his favour! They were ripped off on their movies, they only received £30,000 from A Hard Days Night, when the movie studio made millions...

When The Beatles toured Australia in 1964, they were paid less money than their support act! Who was Sounds Incorporated.

Their publisher, Dick James, ripped them off. He made more money out of their songs than they did, then sold all the rights to the songs to Lew Grade...

The concert promoters would pay the Beatles say £2,000 for gig, but the concert promoters would take home about £12,000

And this sort of thing was happening to nearly every band back in those days.

But Peter Grant was one of the first to stop it.

Now you might not have liked his methods, but don't forget a lot of the people he was dealing with were gansters themselves or had Mob connections. One concert promoter allegedly pulled a gun on Peter, so you know, he had to be tough, because it was a tough industry.

And from all accounts that I have read, Peter was nice to people, unless they were ripping him off.

that is a great comparison... two of the greatest bands of all time, and how they were financially different through their tours and merchandise... granted, both bands were very well off finanically... but look at the gap in terms of how the beatles and led zeppelin were paid on their tours

its plain and simple as that

Archived