Noel Gallagher on Jimmy Page

georgio

:lol:

When your eyebrows become more bushy than is socially acceptable. Derived from the large eyebrows of Noel and Liam Gallagher.
Guy 1: Dude, your brows are fucking massive man, you've totally got Gallagher Brows

Guy 2: Totally don't

Guy 3: Dude, you've totally got Gallagher Brows

:lol:

Seems like only yesterday we were discussing George Harrison's unibrow lol. We need to start an anti-unibrow coalition... ;)

Yes the above posts articulate much better than I did but i agree completely...My guess is Robert's reaching out became public after Jimmy said he was "fed up" when in fact there was openess to trying something-probably new together...JPJ is a wild card and i really don't know where he stands but, yes we should enjoy all we have been given and appreciate things as they are.

Excellent post!!!!! Well said.

I think Jimmy has a few issues going on that prevent him from playing out again.

1. The amount of work required to get a project worthy of his talent and vision will take a tremendous amount of work. And he has to start from scratch. A lot of work for a 71 yr old with nothing to prove.

2. Jimmy is insecure about his playing. His peers, Beck, Clapton, Santana, etc have all stayed very active and sound better than ever. Jimmy knows he will be judged against them and also his past. He has quite simply let his chops go for waaaayyyyyyy too long at this point. It will take a long long time for him to get those live playing chops back.

3. I have always believed there are underlying health issues with his hands and wrists. He has loosely alluded as much, and there are anecdotal stories around about it as well. I think he has arthritis and/or tendinitis in one or both hands. Why no interviewer has asked him this I'll never know. He is the most legendary guitarist EVER along with Hendrix. Why isn't he out playing? Because he can't.

Add it all up. He's done. Maybe we'll get some sort of weird experimental album from him, but I'm not holding my breath. The man gave us the best rock n roll ever recorded, it's not even debatable at this point. Well done Jimmy, we love you.

I think Jimmy has a few issues going on that prevent him from playing out again.

1. The amount of work required to get a project worthy of his talent and vision will take a tremendous amount of work. And he has to start from scratch. A lot of work for a 71 yr old with nothing to prove.

2. Jimmy is insecure about his playing. His peers, Beck, Clapton, Santana, etc have all stayed very active and sound better than ever. Jimmy knows he will be judged against them and also his past. He has quite simply let his chops go for waaaayyyyyyy too long at this point. It will take a long long time for him to get those live playing chops back.

3. I have always believed there are underlying health issues with his hands and wrists. He has loosely alluded as much, and there are anecdotal stories around about it as well. I think he has arthritis and/or tendinitis in one or both hands. Why no interviewer has asked him this I'll never know. He is the most legendary guitarist EVER along with Hendrix. Why isn't he out playing? Because he can't.

Add it all up. He's done. Maybe we'll get some sort of weird experimental album from him, but I'm not holding my breath. The man gave us the best rock n roll ever recorded, it's not even debatable at this point. Well done Jimmy, we love you.

I would agree with everything you have just said and there is only basically only one reason to make this kind of hard to believie to some people and that is the O2 concert.

I am not saying that it was his best performance ever, but it would be imposible to play on the level he did had if he had all the health issues you have pointed out. It wasn´t just the concert, you have to take into account all the rehearsals AND a broken finger in the end. For me, the best part of his playing on that concert was his imagination, really doing things he hasn´t done before (espacially using some of the effects). So mentally, to me at least, he is perfect to play guitar.

Im no doctor so I cant really say if he would be able to play guitar on tour, but that is not the question, I doubt he would do more than couple of dates in a row, nothing to harm his health.

But back to the topic: Noel was right that Jimmy is too stuck in the past. But that is the way it is, and if that is what he wants, then why not? Just stop talking every year about new album and tour and everything will be fine.

That concert was 7 years ago and maybe arthritis kicking in worse since- i have had it in neck since 18 years old :(...I am not sure abt the self conscous part but ,posts make sense... however it is not another musician's job to go public like that about a legend. Why stars put peers down is beyond me...yeah free speech and all but i think it makes them petty. kanye West is a glaring public example...who is he to judge who deserves an award? maybe stuck in the past but it is a great past to be stuck in. we'll see where Oasis stands in 40 years in the rock history books.

Hi ksgemini!

Nothing wrong with your post at all:-) I have scoured to try and find anything new with JPJ although I am sure Sam would be the first to let us know. He is the wild card for sure....

We know that JPJ briefly worked with Page and Bonham on new material shortly after the O2 concert. For whatever reason this musical project didn't work out. JPJ himself mentioned this during an interview last year.

This is how many see it.

Yes. Unlike John Deacon (formerly of Queen), Page has never officially retired. If he publicly announced his retirement, people wouldn't expect him to record new music or perform in public.

Something has gone on between JP and JPJ . When asked about John Paul,

Page said something like "We were supposed to do something, we rehearsed

it wasn't quite right he said he would give me a call the next thing i know he has

formed Them crooked Vultures" Page doesn't like being crossed.Is that why

JPJ had no involvement in the reissue project? There is a quote of the above somewhere,

sorry i can't find it!

Yes. Unlike John Deacon (formerly of Queen), Page has never officially retired. If he publicly announced his retirement, people wouldn't expect him to record new music or perform in public.

I don't see that he needs to think he has retired or announce retirement, producing is hard work, requires immense amounts of creativity and feel, so I doubt he feels like he has retired from music yet at all. The fact Mr Mono Brow doesn't get this just says it all really about how they are universes apart in both achievement and understanding. Seriously take Oasis, I couldn't listen to that stuff now, it has a very short shelf life to my ears.

If one considers that to Jimmy it is the music that is the key thing, not the instrument he chose to communicate it with, then it easier to understand many of us go full circle in life, so you can see that he would regard the Led Zeppelin material as practically sacred. Just as he would all those 45s he collected and learned from in the beginning. It makes sense he would want it to be remembered by his own work with it to the end and get the absolute best out of the material as it stands.

Who knows, he might yet surprise everyone and pull the guitars out again, when he's done with what he wants to do right now.

Jimmy Page is akin to Elvis in his latter Vegas years - he has become an icon representing what he was and created before rather than an adventurer in the innovation through creative pursuit. The curator type projects - video issuing and album remastering, the basking in the glories and accolades of numerous honourary awards at various ceremonies, as well as the JP by JP book are indicative of fitting and testimonies to this "icon" status. At his point in life, I think the embracing of and reveling in such iconic, meritorious status is natural and understandable and he should be allowed to enjoy it.

He is in a no win situation, as any "new" music he releases or live performances he gives will be judged (probably) harshly and wrongly on the merits of his past work with Led Zeppelin.

A certain contingent of loyal fans, fellow peers/musicians and some journalists (those still wishing to ingratiate and curry professional favour with him), will no doubt lavish kind praise on whatever new ventures he springs on us, but I suspect any praise granted from the wider spectrum of people will be more out of deference than a genuine, critical spirit.

Regarding the "new" experimental music Jimmy has spoken about for later in 2015, I would not be astonished if it is a re-cooking of stuff he has had languishing in his "dabbling" musical archives for a a couple of decades, possibly even some stuff he has unearthed from the remastering project outtake tapes. I have reservations about it being "brand new" stuff entirely creatively wrought out from 2013 through to 2015, but I'd love to hear what he has to share no matter what its original creative origins are. I'm hoping for acoustic focused, thematic material, aligned with the approach displayed in his soundtracks work, perhaps accompanied with a textural jazz or classical palette of supporting musicians. I'm not remotely bother about Jimmy trying to ascend the "rock" Parthenon again, except for a few choice encores.

Good point about the match fitness, the O2 was a longgg time ago and once you get over 60 each subsequent year can easily invite a dramatic decline in functional health and certainly the dexterity of fingers hammered by extensive playing from the mid-1960s through to early 1980s, then again in the Page/Plant phrase will be compromised to a proportionate measure. Realistically in his early 70s, his playing will not be as fluid or agile as afore, no matter how much hard graft practicing he indulges in now.

Cheers,

Indi

Jimmy Page is akin to Elvis in his latter Vegas years - he has become an icon representing what he was and created before rather than an adventurer in the innovation through creative pursuit. The curator type projects - video issuing and album remastering, the basking in the glories and accolades of numerous honourary awards at various ceremonies, as well as the JP by JP book are indicative of fitting and testimonies to this "icon" status. At his point in life, I think the embracing of and reveling in such iconic, meritorious status is natural and understandable and he should be allowed to enjoy it.

He is in a no win situation, as any "new" music he releases or live performances he gives will be judged (probably) harshly and wrongly on the merits of his past work with Led Zeppelin.

A certain contingent of loyal fans, fellow peers/musicians and some journalists (those still wishing to ingratiate and curry professional favour with him), will no doubt lavish kind praise on whatever new ventures he springs on us, but I suspect any praise granted from the wider spectrum of people will be more out of deference than a genuine, critical spirit.

Regarding the "new" experimental music Jimmy has spoken about for later in 2015, I would not be astonished if it is a re-cooking of stuff he has had languishing in his "dabbling" musical archives for a a couple of decades, possibly even some stuff he has unearthed from the remastering project outtake tapes. I have reservations about it being "brand new" stuff entirely creatively wrought out from 2013 through to 2015, but I'd love to hear what he has to share no matter what its original creative origins are. I'm hoping for acoustic focused, thematic material, aligned with the approach displayed in his soundtracks work, perhaps accompanied with a textural jazz or classical palette of supporting musicians. I'm not remotely bother about Jimmy trying to ascend the "rock" Pantheon again, except for a few choice encores.

Good point about the match fitness, the O2 was a longgg time ago and once you get over 60 each subsequent year can easily invite a dramatic decline in functional health and certainly the dexterity of fingers hammered by extensive playing from the mid-1960s through to early 1980s, then again in the Page/Plant phrase will be compromised to a proportionate measure. Realistically in his early 70s, his playing will not be as fluid or agile as afore, no matter how much hard graft practicing he indulges in now.

Cheers,

Indi

:goodpost:

Sorry I had to FTFY :peace: one should never confuse the Parthenon for the Pantheon. Both are temples but the Pantheon is reserved for the elite.

Regarding the "new" experimental music Jimmy has spoken about for later in 2015, I would not be astonished if it is a re-cooking of stuff he has had languishing in his "dabbling" musical archives for a a couple of decades, possibly even some stuff he has unearthed from the remastering project outtake tapes. I have reservations about it being "brand new" stuff entirely creatively wrought out from 2013 through to 2015, but I'd love to hear what he has to share no matter what its original creative origins are. I'm hoping for acoustic focused, thematic material, aligned with the approach displayed in his soundtracks work, perhaps accompanied with a textural jazz or classical palette of supporting musicians. I'm not remotely bother about Jimmy trying to ascend the "rock" Parthenon again, except for a few choice encores.

Cheers,

Indi

He once mentioned during an interview that he enjoys musique concrete. A project along this line wouldn't require guitar playing on his part and would take advantage of his producer skills.

I'm reminded of an interview in which Pete Townshend once remarked that he resisted composing on a piano for years because he believed a proper guitarist should compose songs solely with his guitar. He eventually relented because composing songs on a piano is a lot easier. Can Page play any keyboard instrument?

I am with Indigo on this, he has much to lose and little to gain in his eyes, though I don't hold that opinion. I believe the only reason why Jimmy has not performed or produced any new music is because he fears it will not hold up to his Led Zeppelin era. Page seems a very, very self conscious guy and it is his own fear which is holding him back. I have studied his hands in recent interviews and they look like the hands of a 40 year old musician. The fingers are straight and nimble, there is no visible calcium buildup in the joints nor any swelling I could see. If he was suffering from arthritis it should be noticeable in the joints and motion of his fingers and this is not the case.

It's too bad Jimmy does not take a cue from Robert, Mr. Plant don't give one fuck what anyone thinks of him or his music, he does what he wants, where he wants, when he wants, don't like it, don't buy the albums don't go to the concerts. This more than anything else is what I admire about Robert, he goes for it because it makes HIM happy, not because it may add to his legacy or because the fans want it.

Bottom line, Jimmy needs to get back to work, make music, and tour again for HIM if this is what he wants, to to make sure it stands up to Zeppelin. If Jimmy came out and pulled a Ritchie Blackmore, bought a jet black wig and clothes from a Renaissance Fair, picked up a lute and played 15th century tunes I would still see him and be god damn happy for the experience. If other people don't like it, they can go see AC/DC play the exact same songs the exact same way as they did 30 years ago.

...It's too bad Jimmy does not take a cue from Robert, Mr. Plant don't give one fuck what anyone thinks of him or his music, he does what he wants, where he wants, when he wants, don't like it, don't buy the albums don't go to the concerts. This more than anything else is what I admire about Robert, he goes for it because it makes HIM happy, not because it may add to his legacy or because the fans want it...

IMO, this is even more true of John Paul Jones. Plant's musical endeavors throughout his solo career have all been in mainstream genres like pop and Americana. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's music to which most Americans can relate. Many of Jones' musical projects have been "out there". I'm guessing that Jones' collaborations with Diamanda Galas and Super Silent attract a smaller audience than Plant's post-Zep albums and tours.

IMO, this is even more true of John Paul Jones. Plant's musical endeavors throughout his solo career have all been in mainstream genres like pop and Americana. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's music to which most Americans can relate. Many of Jones' musical projects have been "out there". I'm guessing that Jones' collaborations with Diamanda Galas and Super Silent attract a smaller audience than Plant's post-Zep albums and tours.

True that, his work with Diamanda Galas alone proves that. Love his bass work on Sporting Life but her voice...she may have a great range but her shrieking is enough to peel paint from wall.

True that, his work with Diamanda Galas alone proves that. Love his bass work on Sporting Life but her voice...she may have a great range but her shrieking is enough to peel paint from wall.

She is way the f@ck out there ! but the riffs are jammin! I can hear Jimmy soloing over her voice with JPJ rhythm section behind it all! The drummer is pretty good, The one thing this band was missing was Jimmy flying high above it all.

I think Noel was just saying what most people think - that it would be great if Jimmy did something new (ie an album or tour). Although as others have said to start from scratch at his age would take a lot of work. Most of the other guys in their 70s like McCartney or Dylan have established backing bands. As for Noel/Oasis - they're just a straight forward rock band and there's nothing wrong with that - plus I don't think the guy's ever claimed to make music that's overly deep or meaningful. I saw Noel twice on his last tour and they were both great shows. Haven't given his new record a proper listen yet although I like what I hear.

Love Noel's comment. Not a fan of Oasis, but there's a gem of truth in it from another Rock and Roller. And typical British humor.

Jimmy IS the keeper of the Band's legacy - that's his boon and bane. While JPJ and Robert have really moved on, Jimmy's stuck in his Deluxe re-issue sandbox. The hardcore fans who are the ones here, need more.

Suggestions:

# 1: Jimmy needs to start an open source project and open whatever's left to the public. This forum is a starting point

# 2: Stop making money from the music. Reward the fans.

# 3: Get another producer in and let go of the reins so the music can be free. Physical Graffiti with only 3 "unreleased" and drastically different versions - not counting pre-mixes, alternate mixes, and whatnot - do not do justice to the band's recording legacy.

# 4: Do a reality show and go track down the bootleggers who broke into Jimmy's house and stole his Outrider recordings....and remaster those

I think when Noel has a legacy like Jimmy then he can make these kind of statements I love Robert and JPJ's endeavors to the point it drives people crazy on here sometimes.... but to tear down someone who may have been the greatest guitarist of the rock era is petty from a man like Noel Gallagher when he knows NOTHING about Jimmy's health or where he is at right now. As I said i am the biggest SSS fan out there maybe but Jimmy deserves respect. He has had the strength to pull through "things" that have taken the life of many and do charity work and for that alone he is a champion.

I'll take a bad Jimmy Page performance over Noel Gallagher in-his-prime performance every time. (Come to think of it I did see him in his prime. He was great.)

But I'll take a Noel Gallagher interview over a Jimmy Page interview every single time.

Noel is outright fucking hilarious and honest. The best.

Jimmy Page is 71.

He has spent the last 35 years trying to get his band back together. While this may seem like a long long and futile effort, the band did get back together for fleeting performances, and half got back together for what was a couple of albums and tours. Whether he mis-read the signals or not, I think it's fair to say that there were varying degrees of interest shown by the various parties.

Bottom line. It wasn't to be, and at 71, I think he's well within his rights to remaster the greatest songbook of all. What on earth else is he supposed to do. Go out at 71 and play "new stuff"?

What on earth else is he supposed to do. Go out at 71 and play "new stuff"?

Why the hell not?

John Lee Hooker was still out there playing at 83. B B King was touring in 2014 - he was 88 at the time. Willie Nelson is still playing at 81. Jeff Beck is 70 - still active. The Stones have an aggregate age of 278 and they're still writing and playing.

Age isn't the issue.

He keeps saying he's got stuff written (and he's been saying that since 1999), and he keeps saying he wants to go out and play.

Archived