David Gilmour

luvlz2

37 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Wonder if Strider went to the book signing and what he thought of the concert...

Couldn't make the book signing and am going to David Gilmour's second night at the Hollywood Bowl tonight.

9 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Any youtube videos are being taken down immediately, within a minute of being posted.

So not only is Gilmour once again only playing a handful of cities, and screwing over his fans in the process, his management is preventing anyone seeing his performances too?!?  I guess Gilmour is hurting since he's not performing under the Pink Floyd brand.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

So not only is Gilmour once again only playing a handful of cities, and screwing over his fans in the process, his management is preventing anyone seeing his performances too?!?  I guess Gilmour is hurting since he's not performing under the Pink Floyd brand.

Yeah, I'm totally bummed he is only doing 3 U.S. cities. I did find some video over at vimeo, here ya go: https://vimeo.com/160430958

On 3/26/2016 at 8:03 AM, luvlz2 said:

Any youtube videos are being taken down immediately, within a minute of being posted.

You think that is harsh? Last night I went to Dave Chapelle's show at the Hollywood Palladium and they weren't allowing any cellphones. If you had a cellphone then you had to put your phone in a locked and sealed pouch before you could enter the venue. After the concert was over they would unlock the pouch.

19 hours ago, Walter said:

Hurting in what way? The three LA shows (2 Hollywood Bowl, 1 Forum) sold out in a flash so you cannot mean hurting financially.

As for the David Gilmour concert I saw Friday night, it was a pleasant enough evening. If you have seen Pink Floyd then you already know what to expect. Good sound and light show, lots of film and animation visuals, not much personal interaction or movement by the musicians. The way they incorporated the Hollywood Bowl's stage design into the visuals was creative.

Two sets with an intermission and a three song encore added up to a three hour show. 7 songs from his new album, one from "On an Island", and a bunch of the usual Pink Floyd nuggets. I was hoping to hear "Fearless" but he didn't play it...but it was nice to hear "Fat Old Sun".

Alas, the people who had seen Gilmour the night before were buzzing about David Crosby's appearance on a few songs so there was hope we might get Crosby again or maybe another special guest, but it was not to be.

In the long run, I am glad I went, especially since old rock musicians are dropping like flies so you better see them while you still can. But I wouldn't put it with the Pink Floyd shows I saw in the 1970s. And compared with the energetic and passionate concerts by Johnny Marr and Bruce Springsteen I have seen this year, there ultimately is something staid about a David Gilmour show. It is all a little too placid. Which was my problem with Pink Floyd towards the end, too.

David still plays great, though. Better than the last Jeff Beck show I saw, that is for sure.

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Hurting in what way? The three LA shows (2 Hollywood Bowl, 1 Forum) sold out in a flash so you cannot mean hurting financially.

C'mon Sean, I was just kidding, obviously Gilmour has a ton of money already.  I don't have a clue why they'd take down videos when he is playing so few shows, that probably are all sold-out.  Chapelle makes sense, somewhat.  A comedy set is a bit different than a musician, IMO.  Glad you had a pretty good time and that you've had a good run of shows!  

:peace: 

5 minutes ago, Walter said:

I guess I'd better watch those videos before they're pulled by David's management.  Thanks for posting 'em! :) 

I'm downloading them now, lol. :D I will send you a pm with a link that may interest you.

Edited by luvlz2

it is a real shame David is not performing more shows in the states, however we all need to understand he is no spring chicken. These musicians from Gilmour's era are all in their late 60's & early 70's, so it makes sense that if they do perform it is a very truncated version compared to their heyday. 

Perspective needs to me made, the fact that Gilmour and his contemporaries are even still performing live is a miracle in and of itself. As Strider said, enjoy it while you can, this generation of musicians will likely all be gone, or at least no longer performing, within 10 years. Robert's globetrotting is amazing and I am for one very glad for it for it will become rare. Excuse me while I get a tissue, the thought of this sucks beyond my current emotional threshold. A golden age of music passes...life continues on, a shade of its former glory.

17 hours ago, IpMan said:

it is a real shame David is not performing more shows in the states, however we all need to understand he is no spring chicken. These musicians from Gilmour's era are all in their late 60's & early 70's, so it makes sense that if they do perform it is a very truncated version compared to their heyday. 

Perspective needs to me made, the fact that Gilmour and his contemporaries are even still performing live is a miracle in and of itself. As Strider said, enjoy it while you can, this generation of musicians will likely all be gone, or at least no longer performing, within 10 years. Robert's globetrotting is amazing and I am for one very glad for it for it will become rare. Excuse me while I get a tissue, the thought of this sucks beyond my current emotional threshold. A golden age of music passes...life continues on, a shade of its former glory.

I fully agree....but 3 cities?!?  At least get in the 5-10 range.  No need for touring for months on end at that age.

One of my favorite David Gilmour tunes - still on my phone.
I sometimes play it for people who don't know about it and they always think it's some Pink Floyd they were unaware of, LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/31/2017 at 10:04 PM, luvlz2 said:

^^Got me a pair of tickets. Suppose it would be nice if he did a tour to coincide with this.

Problem is he only plays like 3-4 cities in the U.S. anymore.  I'm gonna check to see if this is playing in my area.  Thanks for the heads up!

Directed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis, the video was shot at the Brighton Centre in the UK, just prior to the first concert in David Gilmour's "Rattle That Lock 2015-16" tour. The clip features some of David's great touring band: David Gilmour (guitar/vocals), Phil Manzanera (guitar/vocals), Guy Pratt (bass/vocals), Jon Carin (keyboards/guitar/vocals), Steve DiStanislao (drums/vocals), Kevin McAlea (keyboards) and Louise Clare Marshall and Bryan Chambers (backing vocals).

source

Edited by luvlz2

"Faces Of Stone" is a reflection on mortality and the cycle of life, while the video, directed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis, combines footage of David filmed at his Medina studio with archive footage featuring the Ukrainian born and celebrated surrealist filmmaker Maya Deren (1917-1961). For more on Maya Deren, go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Deren

source

Edited by luvlz2

On 3/27/2016 at 1:37 PM, Strider said:

As for the David Gilmour concert I saw Friday night, it was a pleasant enough evening. If you have seen Pink Floyd then you already know what to expect. Good sound and light show, lots of film and animation visuals, not much personal interaction or movement by the musicians. The way they incorporated the Hollywood Bowl's stage design into the visuals was creative.

Two sets with an intermission and a three song encore added up to a three hour show. 7 songs from his new album, one from "On an Island", and a bunch of the usual Pink Floyd nuggets. I was hoping to hear "Fearless" but he didn't play it...but it was nice to hear "Fat Old Sun".

Alas, the people who had seen Gilmour the night before were buzzing about David Crosby's appearance on a few songs so there was hope we might get Crosby again or maybe another special guest, but it was not to be.

In the long run, I am glad I went, especially since old rock musicians are dropping like flies so you better see them while you still can. But I wouldn't put it with the Pink Floyd shows I saw in the 1970s. And compared with the energetic and passionate concerts by Johnny Marr and Bruce Springsteen I have seen this year, there ultimately is something staid about a David Gilmour show. It is all a little too placid. Which was my problem with Pink Floyd towards the end, too.

David still plays great, though. Better than the last Jeff Beck show I saw, that is for sure.

Thanks for posting your review! I'm glad "Live In Pompeii" is coming to theaters since I wasn't able to catch the tour last year.