2015 NFL Thread

Walter

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14747408/super-bowl-50-history-why-not-predict-next-25-super-bowl-winners

Some of you may get a kick out of the above.   Who wins the next 25 Super Bowls, and yes they were kind enough to have my Bills beating the Eagles in 5 years.  More interesting is predictions of Dublin winning one and I believe Tokyo or some team in Asia losing one, and Montreal being in there.  The Los Angeles Rams and San Diego Raiders winning one.  Amusing article n ESPN

Lol....Marijuana Field in Denver.  It must be an Onion article when the Lions make a Super Bowl.

I don't follow American football, and though I get it's a rough physical sport, still, unless there were some debilitating injuries, isn't 29 an unusually young age for an athlete to retire at in any sport save for a gladiator in Rome?

Seems like it's around when most athletes are in their prime yet Lynch called it a career.

^^

Not anymore.  Counting College, that means 10 years of head-on collisions.  Considering the money being made by today's players and the long-term health risks involved, it's much easier to make the decision to 'walk away' from the game.  Players like Lynch and Calvin Johnson can retire with mega-millions as opposed to NFL players a generation ago.  Personal opinion, but I consider them the smart ones.  

3 hours ago, Patrycja said:

I don't follow American football, and though I get it's a rough physical sport, still, unless there were some debilitating injuries, isn't 29 an unusually young age for an athlete to retire at in any sport save for a gladiator in Rome?

Seems like it's around when most athletes are in their prime yet Lynch called it a career.

I agree with Bong-Man. If you were smart enough to save your money and can walk away financially secure and with your wits and legs still in one piece, why not? A team is lucky to get 4-5 productive seasons out of a running back, so Lynch was above the curve already. He is now at the age when running backs show a marked decline. With a Super Bowl ring and Hall of Fame stats already, I don't blame Lynch for walking away. I applaud him for being one of the few athletes smart about their money. So many athletes burn through their multimillions nonsensically, paying for ridiculous entourages and scumbag leeches they call "friends".

Calvin Johnson's early retirement makes even more sense, as receiver is also a high-risk position and he plays for one of the saddest, pathetic organizations in sports...the Detroit Lions. In Marshawn Lynch's case you could argue that he is giving up a chance to win another Super Bowl or a rushing title, etc. But Calvin Johnson has no such green pasture on the horizon in Detroit...there is no Super Bowl in Motown's future. Why risk life-and-limb for a stinko franchise that will never be anything above mediocre? 

So...goodbye Calvin...goodbye Marshawn. Thanks for the memories and good for you getting out before brain damage gets you.

^ Nice job, gentlemen.  You've hit the nail on the head.  It's almost like the sport needs to lessen the padding to lessen the gravity of the hits.  I don't know, but I do know these guys need to be smart about their money and get out as early as possible.  It is so sad what is happening to some of our childhood heroes.  Other sports are physical like the NFL, but they have less padding and therefore, I believe, the trauma to the brain is not as significant.  

Farwell "Beast Mode" and "Megatron", you were fun to watch - even when Johnson put up those numbers against Dallas!  We'll never forget the BeastQuake of Seattle when he broke what 16 tackles against the Saints?!?  See ya in Canton!

5 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

^^

Not anymore.  Counting College, that means 10 years of head-on collisions.  Considering the money being made by today's players and the long-term health risks involved, it's much easier to make the decision to 'walk away' from the game.  Players like Lynch and Calvin Johnson can retire with mega-millions as opposed to NFL players a generation ago.  Personal opinion, but I consider them the smart ones.  

2 hours ago, Strider said:

I agree with Bong-Man. If you were smart enough to save your money and can walk away financially secure and with your wits and legs still in one piece, why not? A team is lucky to get 4-5 productive seasons out of a running back, so Lynch was above the curve already. He is now at the age when running backs show a marked decline. With a Super Bowl ring and Hall of Fame stats already, I don't blame Lynch for walking away. I applaud him for being one of the few athletes smart about their money. So many athletes burn through their multimillions nonsensically, paying for ridiculous entourages and scumbag leeches they call "friends".

Calvin Johnson's early retirement makes even more sense, as receiver is also a high-risk position and he plays for one of the saddest, pathetic organizations in sports...the Detroit Lions. In Marshawn Lynch's case you could argue that he is giving up a chance to win another Super Bowl or a rushing title, etc. But Calvin Johnson has no such green pasture on the horizon in Detroit...there is no Super Bowl in Motown's future. Why risk life-and-limb for a stinko franchise that will never be anything above mediocre? 

So...goodbye Calvin...goodbye Marshawn. Thanks for the memories and good for you getting out before brain damage gets you.

Thanks for the insights, gents. I think I was using trends in other sports and applied them to football. In other sports like hockey and basketball, changes were made so that players were safer and the games flowed better (ie/ icing, fighting, 2-line passing, checking, clutching in hockey and hand checking, taunting, flopping in basketball among others). Combine these with better fitness regimens by the players and you have longer careers for many players. 

It seems, though, that whatever rule changes are made in football the essence of the game can't be altered. But with the concussion revelations and the contexts of poorly run teams, the opposite trend seems to be developing; more money made means players can get out sooner with chances of faculties in tact that much higher. 

^Thanks, Strider, just looking through it now. It's actually shocking how soon so many players have chosen to or had to retire. As I said, I don't follow football so only major headlines like those of  Junior Seau or Belcher are familiar. Am I correct in understanding that the NFL knew about CTE and hid it? I mean, the players assume some risk in the sport, too, as do athletes in boxing and MMA, for instance. This lawsuit will set a landmark precedent. 

15 hours ago, Patrycja said:

^Thanks, Strider, just looking through it now. It's actually shocking how soon so many players have chosen to or had to retire. As I said, I don't follow football so only major headlines like those of  Junior Seau or Belcher are familiar. Am I correct in understanding that the NFL knew about CTE and hid it? I mean, the players assume some risk in the sport, too, as do athletes in boxing and MMA, for instance. This lawsuit will set a landmark precedent. 

Absolutely they knew...just as the tobacco companies knew nicotine was addictive. One of the evil figures in this whole saga is the execrable Elliot Pellman (I refuse to call him "Dr.").

http://deadspin.com/why-is-the-nfls-most-infamous-quack-still-involved-in-i-1746274559

There is also a thorough article on Pellman on that website I posted yesterday...look for the article in the far right column titled "Doctor Yes".

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Absolutely they knew...just as the tobacco companies knew nicotine was addictive. One of the evil figures in this whole saga is the execrable Elliot Pellman (I refuse to call him "Dr.").

http://deadspin.com/why-is-the-nfls-most-infamous-quack-still-involved-in-i-1746274559

There is also a thorough article on Pellman on that website I posted yesterday...look for the article in the far right column titled "Doctor Yes".

Thanks, Strider, just finished reading that article. It's as fascinating as it is disturbing. I can't fathom how Pellman the rheumatologist is head of neurological issues, or how someone whose grades weren't good enough to get into a US university and ended up getting a rather quick degree in Mexico found work with the NFL to begin with. This article is now almost seven years old, so I assume there's a league-wide concussion protocol in place (as opposed to it then being a team decision), but the evidence against Pellman and by extension the NFL even then was damning.

With mounting evidence contradicting the findings of Pellman's concussion reports (both in terms of neurological studies and the experiences of an increasing number of former players who have had tragic consequences), it's shocking that the NFL was not proactive on this issue sooner. It's literally a ticking time bomb that negatively affects its own existence and bottom line. Rather than working with the players, they're now adversaries. It's like they treated the players like pigs raised for slaughter for as long as they could even if it hurt the league in the end. Did they really think they could get away with it, ignoring all the signs and growing evidence? SO unethical.

I hope the players win this suit and a scathing judgement results in wholesale changes in how the players are evaluated and treated. Maybe some  changes to the game as well, although I don't know enough about it (other than harder equipment as in hockey doing more damage).

I thought the real potentially accurate prediction in the article I posted about predicting the next 25 Super Bowl's is the possibility of over seas countries eventually having an NFL team.   After all, you only play once a week so the travel can be done any where on Earth.  England to me is the most likely to get a team first, even ahead of Canada.  I had always thought Tokyo could have landed a baseball team?  The NFL in England or Germany is  real possibility.  Not sure about that Dublin prediction.  London for sure.  The Toronto experiments were crash and burn but i wonder if the Bills had been better if it could have worked?  The border laws are so brutal now that Americans simply want no part of driving up there.  You are treated like a fucking criminal at the border and its an insult.  It has caused strained relations to a degree.  And the Canadiens have had to put up with just as much shit as we do.  So I am not saying its just us US citizens with headaches.  Is both.

Loser Randy Gregory is suspended 4 games for violating the substance abuse policy.  Way to disgrace the 94!  

New nfl season is March 9, then we start the new thread.

Btw, the Rams cut St. Louis, their fans, and now Long, Cook, and another - saving $23 mil.  

On 2/9/2016 at 9:04 PM, nick2632 said:

It's been a wild day being in the center of Broncos Country!! I really can't believe we actually won the Superbowl! This was a very shaky season with losing our star quarterback for half the season and only scoring 30+ points twice, but the defense has just been unstoppable!!! I'm glad to see Peyton Manning getting to go out where he certainly has deserved to. I would like to see him just retire a Champion, and see Osweiler step in for the next few years and possibly lead us back to the Superbowl.. We could have won the Superbowl last night with ME starting.. Hahahaha its nice to see the Broncos are a team who wins as a team rather than a single player like the Panthers are. Love seeing my home city bring home another Championship anyway!! It's been 15 years since the Avs brought home the Stanley Cup!! 

Aye, was a good day to be a Bronco fan!!

On 2/9/2016 at 11:48 AM, LedZeppfan77 said:

I am betting Wade Phillips, who I like and have talked two twice, will get an offer as a head coach again.  Maybe before the week is over?

On 2/9/2016 at 0:03 PM, paul carruthers said:

^^ I think history has proven on a few occasions that Wade is a great D-coordinator, but not necessarily head coach material....

Yeah, he's admitted himself that he wasn't a good HC. 

Archived