What is the TRUE meaning of Zoso?

PlantOneOnMe

• 4 weeks later...

Jimmy Page is a fan and collector of Aleister Crowley. 

About 9 years ago I purchased a very rare print from a well-known friend of Jimmy's (can't give away his name) but I'm sure you can guess plus Jimmy also signed it. At the time my email had Zoso in it and he messaged me asking if I knew what it meant. I said no I don't even though I have the tattoo down my arm.

He then explained to me what Jimmy Page told him the meaning of it. I'd be honest I did swear to him I wouldn't tell anyone which to this date I haven't but you'll be disappointed. It doesn't mean any of the meanings people think. Unless he told me fibs!! 

ZOSO is a sigil.   I think it's part of a larger spell that Jimmy cast.  It's an amplifier of sorts, projecting his will on listeners and drawing them in.   

In and of itself, it is meaningless.   But it has Jimmy's true will and intent tied up with it.   It's powerful, so careful with it.

My .02

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I know full well the sigil has existed in such and such form for centuries. However his version is tweaked and he may have seen the similarities in the sigil and the individual members signs.

One bonus point to TSRTS for correctly calling it a sigil.

Your theory is interesting and new.

12 hours ago, bluecongo said:

ZOSO is a sigil.   I think it's part of a larger spell that Jimmy cast.  It's an amplifier of sorts, projecting his will on listeners and drawing them in.   

In and of itself, it is meaningless.   But it has Jimmy's true will and intent tied up with it.   It's powerful, so careful with it.

So if we break it in half now does he stop going to poetry readings and start making music again?

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

So if we break it in half now does he stop going to poetry readings and start making music again?

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

He'd disappear like Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars 

• 2 months later...

Since you guys know so much about Crowley, and claim he wasn't evil or satanic, how do you reconcile with the fact that in his sex magick book he encourages the rape and murder of a young boy(of high intelligence is best he writes) to gain the strongest and most powerful magic from Satan in a ritual? How can u say he wasn't evil and Satan isn't real? What about him and his wife going to Egypt to summon a demon in a pyramid? Was he just kidding? I think not. 

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"  If the devil doesn't exist, then why the hell are satanist always performing rituals and constantly saying "hail satan!"

anton Lavey makes a fool out of everyone that believes the devil isn't real.

look at his beady, little, evil eyes! You think he looks trustworthy? 

I don't know how jimmy page or anyone can be a fan of aleister Crowley when he encouraged rape and murder of little boys during satanic rituals for power. Disgusting, I wouldn't be able to ignore that part of his writings and no one should. That's why all the satanic celebrities (Eddie veder-pearl jam, johnny depp, that lead singer witch from the Dixie chicks) rallied together to have the "west Memphis 3" released from prison because they were admired and idolized by the satanic community for actually performing the ritual. They raped, tortured, and mutilated the genitals, and eventually murdered three 8 yr old boys. All in the name and guidance of aleister crowleys sex magick ritual. Now tell me the dude wasn't evil or a satan worshipper !!!!

22 hours ago, Cruzsan said:

Since you guys know so much about Crowley, and claim he wasn't evil or satanic, how do you reconcile with the fact that in his sex magick book he encourages the rape and murder of a young boy(of high intelligence is best he writes) to gain the strongest and most powerful magic from Satan in a ritual? How can u say he wasn't evil and Satan isn't real? What about him and his wife going to Egypt to summon a demon in a pyramid? Was he just kidding? I think not. 

MYTH...

4. Myth: Aleister Crowley sacrificed male children.

In his book, Magick, Aleister Crowley referred to masturbation jokingly and dysphemistically as child sacrifice. See our post, Guide to the Aleister Crowley 2012 Campaign Ad, for more details.

According to Crowley’s diaries, he performed this “sacrifice” about 150 times per year from 1912-1928. That is a moderate amount of masturbation, but it would be an impossible number of murders which would make Aleister Crowley dozens of times more murderous than the infamous Countess Elizabeth Báthory.

21 hours ago, Cruzsan said:

I don't know how jimmy page or anyone can be a fan of aleister Crowley when he encouraged rape and murder of little boys during satanic rituals for power. Disgusting, I wouldn't be able to ignore that part of his writings and no one should. That's why all the satanic celebrities (Eddie veder-pearl jam, johnny depp, that lead singer witch from the Dixie chicks) rallied together to have the "west Memphis 3" released from prison because they were admired and idolized by the satanic community for actually performing the ritual. They raped, tortured, and mutilated the genitals, and eventually murdered three 8 yr old boys. All in the name and guidance of aleister crowleys sex magick ritual. Now tell me the dude wasn't evil or a satan worshipper !!!!

Myth: Aleister Crowley advocated rape.

Of course not. Aleister Crowley upheld the rights of the individual. These rights do not extend to violating the rights of others. See the quote and link in #9 above, and here’s another one:

“To use legal or financial constraint to compel either abstention or submission, is entirely horrible, unnatural and absurd.”

Myth..

Myth: Aleister Crowley was a black magician.

Few things could be further from the truth, and Aleister Crowley directly contradicts this myth.

Aleister Crowley the poet“I have been accused of being a ‘black magician.’ No more foolish statement was ever made about me. I despise the thing to such an extent that I can hardly believe in the existence of people so debased and idiotic as to practice it.”

22 hours ago, Cruzsan said:

Bottom line. If you continue to deny he was evil and that he had no allegiance to Satan, and you know so much about him, your a liar. It says in the Bible that Satan is the father of lies. Therefore I'm not surprised 

TRUTH

Aleister Crowley was actually a nice guy with a good sense of humor.

aleister crowley laughter

“The common defect of all mystical systems previous to that of the Aeon whose Law is Thelema is that there has been no place for Laughter.”

Just, not always at the same time. Aleister Crowley’s best humor was often at someone else’s expense, but overall he had a kind heart and a deep concern for the well-being of every man, woman, and child alive. Indeed, in 1924 he dedicated his life to serving humankind, and from then on he worked tirelessly and exclusively for the cause of human liberty.

It would be impossible to survey Crowley’s extraordinary wit in this small space. Suffice to say, all of his prose is packed with humor. Aleister Crowley’s original writing is far funnier than any of the parodies of his work. Below are a few short examples of his excellent jests. If you have any other favorite witticisms from Aleister Crowley, please share in the comments!

“One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously; but to take it seriously one must be already mad.” — Liber ABA, Part II, Chapter XVI

“May the New Year bring you courage to break your resolutions early! My own plan is to swear off every kind of virtue, so that I triumph even when I fall!” — Moonchild

“Theosophist: A person who talks about Yoga, and does no work.” — Liber ABA, Glossary

“Some men are born sodomites, some achieve sodomy, and some have sodomy thrust upon them…” — The Scented Garden of Abdullah the Satirist of Shiraz

“[I adopt the phrase ‘Holy Guardian Angel’] Because since all theories of the universe are absurd it is better to talk in the language of one which is patently absurd, so as to mortify the metaphysical man.” — The Temple Of Solomon the King in The Equinox I, no. 1.

Aleister Crowley inspired the counterculture movement of the 1960s.

Aleister Crowley Timothy Leary

Timothy Leary as Aleister Crowley

Most people are quite aware of Aleister Crowley’s censored appearance on the cover of Sgt. Pepper among the Beatles’ other heroes. Few, though, have gone on to ask why Aleister Crowley made the cut. John Lennon made the connection clear in an interview with Playboy when he said that “The whole Beatle idea was to do what you want, right?  To take your own responsibility.” Lennon was paraphrasing “Do what thou wilt,” which is one of the central precepts of Thelema, the religion founded by Aleister Crowley. Thelema is the Greek word which means “will” and teaches that we each must discover our individual inmost nature, described as the “True Will.”

The Beatles were only the first of many counterculture rock musicians in the 1960s to openly cite Aleister Crowley as an influence. Led Zeppelin‘s guitarist Jimmy Page was very interested in Aleister Crowley and he remains a prominent Thelemite today. We have even recently learned that Frank Zappa was reading Crowley in 1968.

Apart from rock stars, who helped to popularize the writings of Aleister Crowley, we can also look at some of the people who revolutionized western culture in other, perhaps more deep and lasting ways. To start with, let’s consider where these musicians may have heard about Aleister Crowley. Perhaps the most likely candidate is Harry Smith, a Thelemite whose influence on folk and rock music cannot be overstated. Aleister Crowley also once dined with Aldous Huxley in Berlin, and the rumor goes that Crowley introduced him to peyote. Timothy Leary saw himself as continuing Crowley’s work, and said so on national television. Check out this clip:

These are only a few of the major streams of influence that Aleister Crowley had in shaping the counterculture movement of the 1960s. There is much more to explore, including Crowley’s efforts to make Eastern philosophy more accessible to the West, which helped to inspire the whole New Age movement. For more complete explorations, you can start by reading the best biographies of Aleister Crowley

This is right out of his book. Game over dude. It's time to face the fact that Crowley was extremely evil and sadistic. I suppose somebody made this all up and was able to put it in his book, just to frame him right?! I don't think so buddy

The animal should therefore be killed within the Circle, or the Triangle, as the case may be, so that its energy cannot escape. An animal should be selected whose nature accords with that of the ceremony — thus, by sacrificing a female lamb one would not obtain any appreciate quantity of the fierce energy useful to a Magician who was invoking Mars. In such a case a ram would be more suitable. And this ram should be virgin — the whole potential of its original total energy should not have been diminished in any way. For the highest spiritual working one must accordingly choose that victim which contains the greatest and purest force. A male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence is the most satisfactory and suitable victim. {95} For evocations it would be more convenient to place the blood of the victim in the Triangle — the idea being that the spirit might obtain from the blood this subtle but physical substance which was the quintessence of its life in such a manner as to enable it to take on a visible and tangible shape. 

Those magicians who object to the use of blood have endeavored to replace it with incense. For such a purpose the incense of Abramelin may be burnt in large quantities. Dittany of Crete is also a valuable medium. Both these incenses are very catholic in their nature, and suitable for almost any materialization. But the bloody sacrifice, though more dangerous, is more efficacious; and for nearly all purposes human sacrifice is the best. The truly great Magician will be able to use his own blood, or possibly that of a disciple, and that without sacrificing the physical life irrevocably. An example of this sacrifice is given in Chapter 44 of Liber 333. This Mass may be recommended generally for daily practice.

How are these quotes supposed to show that aleister crowley was a nice guy and had a sense of humor?!?! Maybe blasphemous and homo erotic, but not nice, clever, or funny

“One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously; but to take it seriously one must be already mad.” — Liber ABA, Part II, Chapter XVI

"some men are born sodomites, some achieve sodomy, and some have sodomy thrust upon them…” — The Scented Garden of Abdu

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, Cruzsan said:

satan is the father of lies

I'd have thought that your "god" is actually the father of lies, given that he is supposedly all powerful. if he's unhappy with "satan" telling lies why doesn't he do away with him? In terms of numbers of people killed by "satan" or "Satanists" I expect that fall far far behind the number killed by our friendly caring "god" you know, the one who killed everyone with a flood except for one small family. plus all the other killings listed quite clearly in the bible

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So, was Sandy Denny's symbol ever identified?

Sandy's symbol appears in “The Book of Signs” by Rudolf Koch and is said to refer to “the Godhead”. Koch states that nothing beyond this is known however, it is clearly a trinity symbol and is likely to refer to a female trinity, having the V or “cup” shape which is regularly used to denote the feminine.