Presence Reiusse

Zeppy98

^Actually, the more I listen, the more it sounds like Bonzo IMO.

I agree. Not to argue what Jimmy Page says, but to me it sounds like Bonzo... Same kind of raspy, crunchy voice I can hear in banter like the whole diarrhea "he's the only drummer with a commode for a stool" bit (Earls Court?).

Anyone agree?

Edited by SummerOfMySmiles

I agree. Not to argue what Jimmy Page says, but to me it sounds like Bonzo... Same kind of raspy, crunchy voice I can hear in banter like the whole diarrhea "he's the only drummer with a commode for a stool" bit (Earls Court?).

Anyone agree?

I know what you're saying man, I call it his 'Pirate voice'. On steriods, lol.

Anyone agree?

No doubt , it sounds like Bonzo to me...it gives the tune as a whole a P Funk vibe

"10 Ribs..." is a wonderful track. It certainly doesn't mesh with the rest of the Presence material. To me, it sounds like an early precursor to All My Love. Both keyboard-driven pieces unlike much else in the Zeppelin canon. Jimmy's guitar tone on the lead over the acoustic is similar too.

Definitely, one of the most striking and important new tracks. Great find by Jimmy. Bizarre title though.

"10 Ribs..." is a wonderful track. It certainly doesn't mesh with the rest of the Presence material. To me, it sounds like an early precursor to All My Love. Both keyboard-driven pieces unlike much else in the Zeppelin canon. Jimmy's guitar tone on the lead over the acoustic is similar too.

Definitely, one of the most striking and important new tracks. Great find by Jimmy. Bizarre title though.

Jimmy stated in a recent interview the initial plan was for Robert to add/record lyrics later and for the song to possibly make it on the next album - which of course turned out to be ITTOD - but they had already written enough material for that album by the time they got to Polar Studios in November 1978 and thus '10 Ribs...' ultimately was forgotten about until Jimmy unearthed it recently for the companion disc. I really wish they had finished that song, it's a beautifully wistful number very reminiscent of 'Ten Years Gone' that would have been a great addition to either ITTOD or (more likely) Coda.

What I find really intriguing was the 20-minute instrumental that Jimmy mentioned in a taped 1977 interview you can find online, he had written it for the Presence recording sessions, but was unable to record because of time constraints, what a great pity he never did end up putting it on tape...

The whole remastered campaign has been nothing short of spectacular; stellar sound, quality presentations, unreleased gems, and a whole new generation introduced to the joys of Zep (me included!)... it's been a hell of a year, pity it has to end.

Can we talk about that Earl's Court live album now Jimmy :D...?

10 Ribs almost sounds like an unfinished Joni Mitchell tune with Zep as band with a hint of Motown...very un-Zeppelin & interesting, I really love this tune. Funny, this song would have been great as is used in a movie, like the last scene of Say Anything or even Singles.

The whole remastered campaign has been nothing short of spectacular; stellar sound, quality presentations, unreleased gems, and a whole new generation introduced to the joys of Zep (me included!)... it's been a hell of a year, pity it has to end.

Agreed. Many people have criticized the companion material, perhaps justified in some instances. I appreciate the opportunity to own all these tracks with such exemplary sound quality. Even if one only considers it to be "bonus" material...what a bonus. I would have been overjoyed with the remastered catalogue, brand new vinyl, hi-def downloads and all the other great visuals in the box sets. The companion discs are oh-so-sweet icing on the cake.

Listening to the RO ref mix, what a gas! That is most likely Bonham singing, regardless of what Jimmy says and Bonham is hilarious on this...they should have kept this version for the album, funny as hell.

Listening to the RO ref mix, what a gas! That is most likely Bonham singing, regardless of what Jimmy says and Bonham is hilarious on this...they should have kept this version for the album, funny as hell.

Sounds like Jimmy Durante, maybe he was brought in for the session. His "swansong" before he died in 1980. ;-)

Also sounds like a precursor to the death metal cookie monster vocal style.

I just finished the album and CD of the companion audio. I also had a great pair of headphones. So far my take and only my opinion:

The vinyl is not to different than the CD, except the album did have a more true surround sound.. I hope that makes sense:-)

1. The Ones Are Won (Achilles Last Stand)

It is a little more toned down. Bonham's drums on this are prominent. Well done!

2. For Your Life

Bass is strong on this. Hearing more cymbals, and tambourine and Jimmy is sliding the neck (just sounds a little more like that to me). Robert's vocals are also a little more clear. They are tight as hell on this!

3. 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod

Freakin AMAZING!!!! The piano is stunning and I just went on this journey like an enchanted forest to such a beautiful and peaceful place. This is certainly going to be in my top three of the additions we gave got. I heard more of JPJ and Ice Fishing At Night from his Thunderthief album.

Edit to add: The acoustic guitar on this is also amazing! Fits perfect. This is such a wonderful new piece to hear and it took this long to get out!!

4. Royal Orleans

Totally different, almost reggae. A Blast of a song and I must say it does sound like Bonzo if I had to pick from them.

5. Hots On For Nowhere

Roberts vocals are very strong. JPJ and Bonzo just killing it as a rhythm section. Jimmy bringing in the guitar just right and the ending is great.

Edited by Deborah J

"Presence", especially in 24/96, has got to be the cleanest, punchiest mix of any Zep album, and that's saying alot. The air on "Tea For One" is sublime, it really breathes and moves, it's some of the best blues you will ever hear, never mind Clapton, SIBLY and TFO are blues played with inspiration and imagination, not just some rehashed 12 bar blues that'll put you to sleep (pretty much any Clapton album)...Page breathes life into the blues, rather than staying in the cliched blues "boxes". I can't get enough of "Royal Orleans" and "Candy Store Rock"! Page did a great job on these, this is how you guard a legacy...RESPECT.

Edited by Tea41

Yup, that's definitely Bonzo singing.

As many others have already expressed, 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod is amazing. The song starts out kind of sad and mournful, then it moves into a hopeful sound. By the end of the song there is pure joy, so uplifting it makes me want to cry!! I will be listening to this one a lot, so happy this track saw the light of day! I'd love to know the story behind the title, to me the title 'Everybody Makes It Through' is a perfect title. I know that one's already been used, but it just fits this song perfectly.

I am also digging Royal Orleans on the companion disk, great vocals...and a little cat growl on For Your Life that I hadn't noticed before.

I bought Presence in the cut-out bin for $4.99 a couple years ago, but that didn't stop me from buying another.

Biggest difference to me on disc 1 is "Royal Orleans" and "Candy Store Rock". Much better separation and space in both. The end of CSR especially.

Really like "Achilles" on the companion disc. You get some good insight in to the over-dubs by eliminating a few. Jimmy was a genius, and how he went about structuring this song proves it. I couldn't help but ponder his comments about over-dubs and how one must know when 'enough is enough'. Even with some missing, it's tough to count them all. Guitar Army indeed.

I'm sure I'm dating myself here, but I've heard some people compare the "Royal Orleans" vocal to Dr. John. Lol...sounds like Moms Mabley to me. WTF ? Perhaps it is John and Jimmy and Robert are having a little fun at our expense ?

"The Vegetable Song" remins us all why this was the greatest rock band ever. There were no limits to what direction this band could go. It's why I love Presence. After PG, it was the least likely direction I expected them to turn, and they did it under duress. "Hammer of the Gods" indeed !

I understand why people think Bonzo is singing on RO, because it sounds like him, but I don't think it is. I think it is Robert and I say this because for all intents and purposes, apart from the sound of the voice, the song is delivered with virtually the identical inflection and intonation of the album version. For this to be Bonzo, he would have had to memorize Robert's vocal, and then make efforts to deliver it in the same way, without really making it his own. I don't see that happening, nor do I see the point of him even trying. I certainly stand to be corrected, but it seems rather implausible that Bonzo is singing, and that Page got it wrong. Its also implausible that there wouldnt have been some credit heaped on Bonzo for his inauspicious vocal debut.

Edited by The Dark Lord

I agree Dark Lord. I thought the same thing after first listening to it. He does sing it with the same emphasis and inflection for sure. Maybe it's Robert's impression of him. It certainly wouldn't be the first time Robert ragged on Bonzo. I guess if Robert did any press for the release he could've been asked about it....

Edit: Damn auto correct!

Edited by Walter