'La La' On Zep II Companion Disc

I'm new (on the forum) so I honestly haven't looked to see if this has been mentioned at all but can I say that I can NOT stop playing 'La La'? With all the boots I have on vinyl. cassette, and CD, I have to admit I never caught this one so it was actually a nice surprise hearing it for the first time! Man, what a groove! It starts off with a Three Dog Night-ish flavor which I completely dig and Jimmy's solo catapulted into my top 5 at first listen! I also get a bit of Who vibe in a couple parts before the solo as well. NOT saying anything was "lifted" at all but my first thought was maybe they were trying to "say" they can write a "Pop" hit blindfolded. Kinda like 'Wearing and Tearing" showed the Punk genre that they could still hang. Thoughts, if any?

^ I agree, it almost seems like they were playing around and made a song which jumped from just about every popular genre in music at the time to show they could do so if they wanted to. I even hear a Moby Grape vibe in a section as well.

Great song, very infectious.

I'm new (on the forum) so I honestly haven't looked to see if this has been mentioned at all but can I say that I can NOT stop playing 'La La'? With all the boots I have on vinyl. cassette, and CD, I have to admit I never caught this one so it was actually a nice surprise hearing it for the first time! Man, what a groove! It starts off with a Three Dog Night-ish flavor which I completely dig and Jimmy's solo catapulted into my top 5 at first listen! I also get a bit of Who vibe in a couple parts before the solo as well. NOT saying anything was "lifted" at all but my first thought was maybe they were trying to "say" they can write a "Pop" hit blindfolded. Kinda like 'Wearing and Tearing" showed the Punk genre that they could still hang. Thoughts, if any?

You should try and find a copy of A minor Sketch. You will love it.

• 3 months later...

The first section, at first listen was very unusual, when thinking of zep music. I was like yeah, far out, 1969. Then jimmy page's soloing was very enjoyable, like travellin riverside blues, page never soloed a lot like that on zep records. The strumming is lately the coolest part to me. It makes me reflect on jimmy pages strumming on shining in the light, midnight moonlight, over the hills, sth, down by seaside, bron yraur, the choppy timed acoustic piece on it might get loud and emerald eyes.

With the lead guitar throughout la la, it again made me jump to walking into clarksdale first, with, when the world was young and blue train, then make or break, midnight moonlight. With zep, the rover, i guess would be my fav example of that too.

With us finally hearing this song now, sorta shows how they were more interested in concrete riffs and song ideas...that they didnt drift into songs like this...or risk a song like this on an album.

• 1 month later...

Jones is totally jamming on that organ on "La La", and how about that killer, fast Bonzo roll around the kit on the first break...I also can't get over how slick the drums and bass are on "St.Tristan's Sword", what incredible swing, funk, all in one. Led Zep redefined thinking outside the box.

Archived