Live Aid 1985

I'm well aware that Zeppelin like to act as if this never happened but it did. I was 15 and in all honesty, I don't remember anyone at the time talking bad a bout it. Sure, now we can see it on YouTube and realize how poor it was, but in it's proper contexts it's not nearly as bad. This is one of those performances that you would never show a new Zeppelin fan or hope they wouldn't see early in their journey. It's the Zeppelin moment that fans always need to try and defend. That being said, I personally have come to appreciate it for what it was. A reunion for a good cause that wasn't handled nearly as seriously as it needed to be. I won't even comment on the Phil Collins debacle. Let's just be glad Tony Thompson was there. I also won't go into why the cameramen acted as if JPJ didn't exist. Still, as far as Page and Plant go, I can't help as a fan, to find Jimmy being that wasted on stage, somewhat amusing. I know I shouldn't. But It just strikes me as funny every time I see him with that stupid look on his face
(that never seems to change for three songs) and the cigarette in his mouth. Even Plant seems to make some faces of humor knowing how messed up Jimmy was. Plant's voice needed to be warmed up for Rock and Roll and Whole Lotta Love and it obviously wasn't. I'm sure he felt since he had been active during this period that he was okay. But the sound on the stage really was poor in their defense. As for Plant's obvious 80s shirt and hair, it represents a time in a place in pop culture history, just like his hair and dress of the late 60s and then his style of the 70s did. Regardless, I wish Jimmy, or whoever has the power, would release a touched up version of it. If for no other reason, because it's so heavily viewed in VHS transferred copies on YouTube anyway. It's not like all the Zep fans haven't re watched it many times, as well as the haters. They could have placed it on the 2003 DVD with an explanation intro. I understand them not wanting it on a non Zep DVD, like the official Live Aid release, but It wouldn't have decreased the value of the 2003 release for the fans, IMHO. Like I said, the talk in 85 wasn't about how bad they sucked, it was about how cool it was to see the remaining members on stage together again. Remember, in those days, without Zep being together, and not having old videos to rotate on Mtv, and no YouTube, 6 years since ITTOD album and almost a decade since TSRTS film, is a lot longer time back then, then it is today. Nowadays, a decade or 5 years seems much more recent. But in 85, with all the new music being pushed out on Mtv and the limited Zeppelin footage, Zeppelin seemed like forever ago.

I'm well aware that Zeppelin like to act as if this never happened but it did. I was 15 and in all honesty, I don't remember anyone at the time talking bad a bout it. Sure, now we can see it on YouTube and realize how poor it was, but in it's proper contexts it's not nearly as bad. This is one of those performances that you would never show a new Zeppelin fan or hope they wouldn't see early in their journey. It's the Zeppelin moment that fans always need to try and defend. That being said, I personally have come to appreciate it for what it was. A reunion for a good cause that wasn't handled nearly as seriously as it needed to be. I won't even comment on the Phil Collins debacle. Let's just be glad Tony Thompson was there. I also won't go into why the cameramen acted as if JPJ didn't exist. Still, as far as Page and Plant go, I can't help as a fan, to find Jimmy being that wasted on stage, somewhat amusing. I know I shouldn't. But It just strikes me as funny every time I see him with that stupid look on his face

(that never seems to change for three songs) and the cigarette in his mouth. Even Plant seems to make some faces of humor knowing how messed up Jimmy was. Plant's voice needed to be warmed up for Rock and Roll and Whole Lotta Love and it obviously wasn't. I'm sure he felt since he had been active during this period that he was okay. But the sound on the stage really was poor in their defense. As for Plant's obvious 80s shirt and hair, it represents a time in a place in pop culture history, just like his hair and dress of the late 60s and then his style of the 70s did. Regardless, I wish Jimmy, or whoever has the power, would release a touched up version of it. If for no other reason, because it's so heavily viewed in VHS transferred copies on YouTube anyway. It's not like all the Zep fans haven't re watched it many times, as well as the haters. They could have placed it on the 2003 DVD with an explanation intro. I understand them not wanting it on a non Zep DVD, like the official Live Aid release, but It wouldn't have decreased the value of the 2003 release for the fans, IMHO. Like I said, the talk in 85 wasn't about how bad they sucked, it was about how cool it was to see the remaining members on stage together again. Remember, in those days, without Zep being together, and not having old videos to rotate on Mtv, and no YouTube, 6 years since ITTOD album and almost a decade since TSRTS film, is a lot longer time back then, then it is today. Nowadays, a decade or 5 years seems much more recent. But in 85, with all the new music being pushed out on Mtv and the limited Zeppelin footage, Zeppelin seemed like forever ago.

It was crap then and it's still crap.

I remember exactly where I was and when they came on I cringed, whilst a lot of people in the room laughed. A poor reflection and one that should be binned along with The Atlantic records show - which equaled Live Aid in it's dreadfulness.

A big part of me agrees with you. It is what is (or was, rather). However, I think Celebration Day makes it so irrelevant that an official release would seem puzzling. It's not quite Zeppelin-esque to release things, with any sort of in depth explanation on it flaws or context, just look at the remasters (which i do love very much). More so, I have imagine that if i was in their shoes, i'd look back and say, "yeah that was a bad idea. Shoulda, coulda, woulda did this, that and this." I think that's why they all brought up the importance of rehearsing for weeks in regards to the O2.

I think for the real die hards like us, it's a great glimpse into where they were at that time period. They were all kinda floating about, Robert with his very "product of the time" solo career (that's not an insult), Jimmy was obviously dealing with some things, and JPJ was the unfortunate after thought. Again, to bring up Celebration Day, i have to say that knowing the story behind Live Aid and the Page/Plant in the 90s, just makes it that much sweeter and triumphant to watch it.

Great topic, really got me thinking all sorts of things now haha!

I look at it this way. Live Aid served it purpose for raising much need cash at the time. I think Led Zeppelin were no more or less poor than the majority of the acts playing that day but no where near their high standards.

I wonder how long a normal LZ sound check would last but no one seemed to get more than 15 mins to half and hour to prepare which was going to be an issue right away. If you note Queen getting praise I seem to recall that the band seemed to be taking cues directly off each other rather than the monitors; I think that helped them hold their gig together.

Many other acts who kindly gave their services where no way ready/suitable for stadium gigs and were still at the arena level. (this was notable in the UK section) Stadium gigs are something rather unique.

Led Zeppelin were no better or worse than the other acts but in their instance I think they held their hands up almost immediately knowing what could have been. I still think the idea of Phil Collins playing both the UK and US legs as some kind of add on record attempt was a flawed concept and was never going to work.

I enjoyed it for what it was at the time knowing that this was not the majestic band that held court over and over again

I was there. In person it was incredible. To feel the entire stadium literally shake when they came on was something to behold. The vibe and seeing them together onstage outweighed the performance IMO. They had very little rehearsal time and most of it was taken up with Tony Thompson trying to learn the beginning of Rock and Roll. Phil Collins took a flat out drizzling shit on the whole thing and should have been removed from the stage with a hook. If he "didn't know the songs", I imagine he shouldn't have played them.

Plant's voice needed to be warmed up for Rock and Roll and Whole Lotta Love and it obviously wasn't. I'm sure he felt since he had been active during this period that he was okay.

Robert has said he was already hoarse from performing in Detroit the night before.

In person it was incredible.

This...and it was certainly a catalyst for renewed interest in them.

Just around 8 p.m. as the sun was setting.

Yes, the organizers had them go on about 8 p.m. to coincide with the start of tv's prime time viewing period/ratings.

I must say, Looking back, I think Robert was most to blame for Live Aid being such a train wreck..

Invited Jimmy, but didn't invite JPJ..JPJ had to invite himself..

Had his solo bass player, Paul Martinez (who was quite good) clanging away on Stairway To Heaven, and it sounded awful.

Had his buddy Phil Collins sit in on drums..who, as mentioned didn't know the songs..

But poor old Phil for the most part stayed out of the way.

His overall performance wasn't very good. I don't care much that his voice was off, but he came in early on the end of STH..

I feel he was very self conscience about doing it and going back on his word..

Jimmy was ok not great.

Tony Thompson was good not great

JPJ was flawless..

To be fair, Jimmy was by far the weak link at The Atlantic 40th, that and the fact that there were no keyboards on the tv audio of Kashmir.

Robert was excellent at Atlantic 40 .. twice.. his Now and Zen band had a stellar set..

I wasn't there, but when they came on, EVERYONE where I was quieted down and paid rapt attention.

No one at the time shit banged the show, except to say Plant couldn't hit the high notes.

Looking back, to me, it is still better than most of the other acts that day because it was Zep!

Like others said(I just saw it on TV)right at the time It really wasn't that heavily criticized. In fact I remember many reviewers calling it

raw but energetic. I believe the next day ??? Page and Plant were asked about a reunion and actually Plant was so blown away

by the crowd response that he wasn't negative about it. But just a few years later, sure, the reunion was considered a major

embarrassment.

I believe the next day ??? Page and Plant were asked about a reunion and actually Plant was so blown away by the crowd response that he wasn't negative about it.

Afterward they were asked backstage about additional activity together (at 5:15 in the clip below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlkIKr0t6Tk

Phil Collins' involvement in London & Philadelphia was an idea advanced by the organizers and Phil Collins, not Robert.

OK. Fair enough. He pc said he wanted to play with Eric and Robert. Either way.. Robert or Jimmy should have vetoed it.. JPJ invited himself so he couldn't have vetoed anything.

"It was a disaster, really. Robert wasn’t match-fit with his voice and Jimmy was out of it, dribbling. It wasn’t my fault it was crap. If I could have walked off, I would have, but then we’d all be talking about why Phil Collins walked off Live Aid — so I just stuck it out.”

“You could sense I wasn't welcome. I thought it was just going to be low-key and we’d all get together and have a play, but something happened between that conversation and the day — it became a Led Zeppelin reunion. I turned up and I was a square peg in a round hole. Robert was happy to see me, but Jimmy wasn’t”.

-- Phil Collins

(November 2014)

Archived