What was Jimmy thinking?

Although this is old, I still don't understand how Jimmy could've collaborated with Puff fucking Daddy!!! I feel like he sold out since. Sure, I appreciate the fact that he wanted to experiment, but the result was crap. Ladies and gentlemen, this is how you ruin a classic. Not only was Puff Daddy's rapping annoying, but the instrumental was ludicrous. I have nothing against rap, I actually like some rap, and some rap rock collabs, but not that atrocious song. For instance, I love Aerosmith and Run DMC's Walk This Way and Public Enemy ft. Anthrax, but Jimmy Page and Puff Daddy? Nightmare. What do you guys think?

Nah...

People make way too big a deal out of it. The way it was recorded was a breakthrough in its time.

They were thousands of miles apart in different studios. Besides, a collaboration between Jimmy Page, Puff Daddy and Tom Morello sounds too interesting to not try it.

I thought their performance at NetAid was good.. As well as SNL.

Also, I appreciate that it was re-recorded and not a Kashmir sample.

I don't see how it could be a sellout. Page has taken a lot of crap for it over the years.. It was not a popular decision. Selling out to me would be not doing something he wants to do because he cares what people think.

This might be why he's not rushing to put out new stuff. Maybe Come With Me would be looked at more favorably if Godzilla 1998 wasn't so bad.

I respect the Aerosmith / Run-D M.C. collaboration and its cultural importance. But I think it's over rated as a piece of music.

Bring On The Noise as good as it is was, according to Scott Ian was pieced together in the studio.

Nah...

People make way too big a deal out of it. The way it was recorded was a breakthrough in its time.

They were thousands of miles apart in different studios. Besides, a collaboration between Jimmy Page, Puff Daddy and Tom Morello sounds too interesting to not try it.

I don't see how it could be a sellout. Page has taken a lot of crap for it over the years.. It was not a popular decision. Selling out to me would be not doing something he wants to do because he cares what people think.

This might be why he's not rushing to put out new stuff. Maybe Come With Me would be looked at more favorably if Godzilla 1998 wasn't so bad.

I respect the Aerosmith / Run-D M.C. collaboration and its cultural importance. But I think it's over rated as a piece of music.

Bring On The Noise as good as it is was, according to Scott Ian was pieced together in the studio.

As I said before, I don't mind when rock legends try new genres, that's, in fact, great. However, some things plainly suck. I'm sure Jimmy kind of regrets what he did. I know that he wanted to make his son happy, but it was just a failure. I might have liked it, if it hadn't been Puff Daddy. To be frank, I think he deserved to have taken a lot of crap for it. That song, I believe, really did disappoint most fans. When I was writing this thread, I was so pissed off that I called Jimmy a sellout, which isn't true. It was just like McCartney and West at The Grammys this year, too awkward and ridiculously paired.

Nah...

:goodpost:

Never knew Tom Morello played on that track, thanks for that bit of trivia the chase.

I like the instrumental. The arpeggio bits from 1:54-2:32 are actually a nice addition, I like to play those parts when I play Kashmir, add some new dynamics.

The thing is, most artists who have been around long enough have sooner or later done at least one thing "silly" or "stupid".

I mean, how many can you name ??? Zappa ?? Springsteen ??? Neil Young ?? Eddie Vedder ??? I'm sure they have all

stepped into quicksand at one point or another, however unpublicized.

Archived