A few questions about In Through The Outdoor

Does does anyone think the mixes of In the Evening and Carouselamba have Plant's voice too much on level with the music to the point that you have a difficult time hearing the lyrics? I can't imagine how this must have been for listeners before quick access to lyrics online.

It's strange because other tacks on ITTOD don't have this issue.

Also, anyone wonder why the track listing on the 80s cd release has South Bound Saurez listed as the 6th track instead of the 2nd.

And did anyone ever used to think it was Jimmy page on the album cover?

And finally, What are some of the reasons you think this album was so huge upon release. Obviously, it being Zeppelin. But I think the fact that it had been over 3 years since any new music from the band, and almost 3 years since TRTS soundtrack, as well as a new interest in the band may have built with the many midnight showings of the film that were big around that time.

Love every note of ITTOD, and wouldn't change a thing. As a guy who bought it on release day, it was a massive seller; it was totally relevant and cutting edge; and it offered so much hope of a rejuvenated Zeppelin heading into the 1980's. Today's criticisms of the album are revisionist, because some claim that it sounds dated. As far as I'm concerned, that's the beauty of it. Of course it's dated (and spectacular), it's a 36 year old creation. It seemed that everywhere I went back then, someone had, or was playing, a copy. 10/10.

You know, price, just because you're new here doesn't mean you have to hole yourself up in the newbie section. There has been a long and winding discussion about "In Through the Out Door" going on in the Forum for some time.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21184-ittod-why-is-this-the-most-disliked-album-of-led-zeppelin/page-15#entry799926

You'll find all of your questions and more addressed at length...many by The Dark Lord himself.

You know, price, just because you're new here doesn't mean you have to hole yourself up in the newbie section. There has been a long and winding discussion about "In Through the Out Door" going on in the Forum for some time.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21184-ittod-why-is-this-the-most-disliked-album-of-led-zeppelin/page-15#entry799926

You'll find all of your questions and more addressed at length...many by The Dark Lord himself.

Oh okay, thanks, lol. I posted something once and it got moved to newbie so I wasn't sure. I'll check it out :)

Love every note of ITTOD, and wouldn't change a thing. As a guy who bought it on release day, it was a massive seller; it was totally relevant and cutting edge; and it offered so much hope of a rejuvenated Zeppelin heading into the 1980's. Today's criticisms of the album are revisionist, because some claim that it sounds dated. As far as I'm concerned, that's the beauty of it. Of course it's dated (and spectacular), it's a 36 year old creation. It seemed that everywhere I went back then, someone had, or was playing, a copy. 10/10.

I agree about revisionist in many areas of pop culture. They tend to make things far more spectacular than they were or far more worse. The ones you live through yourself, you can always comment on and say whether they are exaggerating or not.

Well he makes some veiled statements at Jimmy and JPJ for skipping his son's funeral and it is possible it was either done by Page... or done by Plant himself to not be so in your face. I know Page apologized to him afterwards because somewhere...live? I cant recall... Plant changed a couple lines aimed at Page

Well he makes some veiled statements at Jimmy and JPJ for skipping his son's funeral and it is possible it was either done by Page... or done by Plant himself to not be so in your face. I know Page apologized to him afterwards because somewhere...live? I cant recall... Plant changed a couple lines aimed at Page

The original lyrics ("Where was your helping, where was your bow?) were occasionally changed to something more conciliatory during the Page/Plant era, however it is pure conjecture to suggest it stemmed from an apology. The jury is out on if an apology was ever deemed necessary, let alone tendered.

I guess I assumed the change was from an apology but it is true I do not know if one occurred... Was it necessary? I guess only 3 people know for sure. The utterance "they had to stay!" always made me me believe there were hurt feelings but Jimmy was struggling with his own challenges at that time so we will never know for sure....

I guess I assumed the change was from an apology but it is true I do not know if one occurred... Was it necessary? I guess only 3 people know for sure. The utterance "they had to stay!" always made me me believe there were hurt feelings but Jimmy was struggling with his own challenges at that time so we will never know for sure....

There's no question their absence was hurtful at the time (per Robert's comments) but primal human emotions - particularly grief - are seldom as simple as so many suggest.

The I Need You Love parts I can hear just fine, but the verses are too blended in to the music. I just haven't ever experienced that with any previous Zep albums. It's weird cause it's not all the songs on ITTOD, but even the tracks on Coda, that are from the ITTOD sessions, border on it as well. Even though they are more clear than Carouselambra and In the Evening, they aren't as clear as pre ITTOD session tracks.

Do we know who the engineer was for those sessions?

I honestly can't believe they boys never felt this way. I mean listen to Plant's vocals on South Bound Suarez, Fool in the Rain, Hot Dog and All My Love. They are perfectly clear and I can understand every word but not on the one's I mentioned. I'm Gonna Crawl is borderline.

Am I crazy? lol or does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Archived