What's Worse: May 3, 71 or July 23, 79...

...between two versions of a consistently top favorite song of mine: Misty Mountain Hop? 1971 is the first version and they're feeling it out, get lost a little early and late, but you have to love the enthusiasm. But first Copenhagen 1979 date, it's like Jimmy playing the TYG solo in Oakland EXACTLY two years earlier to the date! Terrible!

Or, is there a Japan 72 to MSG NY 1973 only time frame played live version that is even worse? 1988, 2007 do not count.

My vote: I can forgive '71 first attempt.

This is what amazes me about Mr. Page. The Copenhagen July 23rd show was amazing (as was the 24th) and is considered by many as two of their best shows period. Page plays some of his best runs on both nights (TYG from the 24th is out of sight) but then completely fucks up one of the easiest solos of any Zeppelin song during MMH. Huh??? How do you go from throwing out one of the best versions of Achilles (very difficult song) to completely blowing it on a play by the numbers MMH?

One of the many mysteries of Mr. Page.

So, I have to agree, the Copenhagen 23rd, 79' version sucks much more ass than the 71' version.

One thing that must be pointed out is that even besides the awful solos on the 71' and 79' versions Page is really playing some

amazing different stuff thruout the 71' version. Perhaps others would know other shows where Jimmy goes off like that in Denmark,

but I have never heard a version like that.

Archived