Definition of Filler songs

Does anyone else think that too many people nowadays misunderstand what the word Filler means on an album?

It seems like if someone doesn't care for a song they count it as filler. That is not filler.

Filler, IMHO, are songs that you just rush through without any real dedication or inspiration, just to meat a deadline for an albums release, or to quickly capitalize on a singles success, so you throw and album together real quick with that song on it.

Filler does not mean songs you don't prefer.

It's easy to tell the difference. Even if their are songs by Zeppelin, that someone may not care for, if you listen to every Zep album, you can tell they never attempted a filler track. Sometimes people mistake Hot Dog and Candy Store Rock as filler, instead of tributes to early Rock and Roll. No way the music on those are filler,or any other Zep song, for that matter.

Other great bands have had filler early in their careers because of the reasons I mentioned above, or later in their career when they just don't feel like working hard anymore, but not Led Zeppelin.

Many times the so called fillers are great..

Paranoid was written in about 15 minutes because the album, originally to be titled War Pigs was running a few minutes short.. It becomes Black Sabbath's anthem and most popular song.

Beth was the B side to Detroit Rock City and exploded.. I personally love Revolution 9...on a single album it would have been a waste but a double, I thought it was pretty unique. I like avant-garde stuff anyways..

The epitome of a "filler" song is #9 or Rocky Raccoon!

I don't believe Rocky Raccoon to be filler. That's a typical McCartney novelty song. This is the same guy who wrote other tongue and cheek tracks, Yellow Submarine, When I'm Sixty-Four, Your Mother Should Know, Lady Madonna, Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da, Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer and All Together Now.

As for Revolution #9, that wasn't filler to John, he thought it was deep and Iused to hate it but now it's pretty trippy if you listen all the way through.

The Beatles are another band I personally don't think every attempted filler. Even if some of their songs were uneven, I don't think they were trying to just throw something together quickly for the sake of space.

I think in the early days they would do kick ass covers in those situations.

I don't believe Rocky Raccoon to be filler. That's a typical McCartney novelty song. This is the same guy who wrote other tongue and cheek tracks, Yellow Submarine, When I'm Sixty-Four, Your Mother Should Know, Lady Madonna, Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da, Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer and All Together Now.

As for Revolution #9, that wasn't filler to John, he thought it was deep and Iused to hate it but now it's pretty trippy if you listen all the way through.

The Beatles are another band I personally don't think every attempted filler. Even if some of their songs were uneven, I don't think they were trying to just throw something together quickly for the sake of space.

I think in the early days they would do kick ass covers in those situations.

Didn't John literally call some of their songs filler? Little Child always sounded like it was just thrown together, what a lousy pos. Same with Why Don't We Do It in the Road.

Little child, little child

Little child, won't you dance with me?

I'm so sad and lonely

Baby take a chance with me

I'm so sad and lonely

If you want someone

To make you feel so fine

Then we'll have some fun

When you're mine, all mine

So come, come on, come on

I'm so sad and lonely

When you're by my side

You're the only one

Don't you run and hide

Just come on, come on

So come on, come on, come on

I'm so sad and lonely

:rolleyes:

"Why Don't We Do It In The Road?"

Why don't we do it in the road? Mm

Why don't we do it in the road? Ah

No one will be watching us

Why don't we do it in the road?

Ooh

Why don't we do it, do it in the road?

:mellow:

As most of us already know or would probably agree, I think that "Livin' Lovin' Maid" is the only Led Zeppelin song that could be fully described as "filler". I seem to recall reading in some LZ book that even Jimmy used the word "filler" in relation to and describing the inclusion of "Livin' Lovin' Maid" on Led Zeppelin II.

Didn't John literally call some of their songs filler? Little Child always sounded like it was just thrown together, what a lousy pos. Same with Why Don't We Do It in the Road.

I'm so sad and lonely

I'm so sad and lonely

If you want someone

To make you feel so fine

Then we'll have some fun

When you're mine, all mine

So come, come on, come on

I'm so sad and lonely

When you're by my side

You're the only one

Don't you run and hide

Just come on, come on

So come on, come on, come on

I'm so sad and lonely

:rolleyes:

"Why Don't We Do It In The Road?"

Why don't we do it in the road? Ah

Ooh

Why don't we do it, do it in the road?

:mellow:

I don't think Why Don't We do it in the Road is filler, I think it was an idea that Paul just wanted to repeat over and over for artistic reasons. His intensity vocally, I think prevents it from feeling like filler to me. Now Wild Honey Pie some could say is filler, but I think the Beatles were just a little strange and did weird stuff like that. Just like at the end of Abbey Road with Her Majesty.

As for Little Child, it's still a cool little tune and I can see why it could be seen as filler, along with other tracks from With the Beatles, like I Wanna Be You Man and Hold me Tight. So Year on that album it probably is some early filler, but I don't think there is any on the Please Please Me album or any that follow With the Beatles.

As most of us already know or would probably agree, I think that "Livin' Lovin' Maid" is the only Led Zeppelin song that could be fully described as "filler". I seem to recall reading in some LZ book that even Jimmy used the word "filler" in relation to and describing the inclusion of "Livin' Lovin' Maid" on Led Zeppelin II.

That's crazy if Page called Living Loving Maid filler. I agree it has a radio friendly feel to it but it's got great chords and Plant brings it. I know they never played it live but I think it's a kickin track.

Many times the so called fillers are great..

Paranoid was written in about 15 minutes because the album, originally to be titled War Pigs was running a few minutes short.. It becomes Black Sabbath's anthem and most popular song.

Beth was the B side to Detroit Rock City and exploded.. I personally love Revolution 9...on a single album it would have been a waste but a double, I thought it was pretty unique. I like avant-garde stuff anyways..

Yep, Paranoid is one of the best rock songs ever imo!

I think some of the songs on Pink Floyd's "Meddle" are definitely filler. They spent a lot of time getting nowhere on that album originally, hit on some brilliant ideas that took even more time to fully develop, and decided to throw in a few dull numbers and a dog howling to finish it up. Yet they made up for it by coming up with a good dog howling song on "Animals". Way to redeem yourselves!

• 2 weeks later...

A filler song is basically fluff. It's not bad, it's not good, it's just there. For me, a good example is Royal Orleans. It's not a bad song, it's not a great song, it's just a song. From that same album, Tea For One would be an example of the opposite of a filler song.

But do you believe filler is intended as such by the band? For example, I personally wouldn't call Royal Orleans filler because we know it's based on real events. I'm not sure that Zep just said screw it and threw it together for space purposes. I could be wrong. I feel like Candy Store Rock fits the Presence filler role more.

But do you believe filler is intended as such by the band? For example, I personally wouldn't call Royal Orleans filler because we know it's based on real events. I'm not sure that Zep just said screw it and threw it together for space purposes. I could be wrong. I feel like Candy Store Rock fits the Presence filler role more.

Whether something is filler or not is not predicated upon what the band thinks. No group or artist puts out an album knowing only a handful are really great tracks with the rest just taking up space to fill the time. Filler is strictly subjective, and it's the fans who come up with it. You don't think Royal Orleans is filler. I do. There you have it. What LZ thought is immaterial.

I think some of the songs on Pink Floyd's "Meddle" are definitely filler. They spent a lot of time getting nowhere on that album originally, hit on some brilliant ideas that took even more time to fully develop, and decided to throw in a few dull numbers and a dog howling to finish it up. Yet they made up for it by coming up with a good dog howling song on "Animals". Way to redeem yourselves!

Pink Floyd is my favorite band, but I couldn't agree more. Meddle is basically One Of These Days, A Pillow of Winds, Echoes, and then crap. In my opinion.

Pretty much all of PF's early albums, after Piper, had elements of what you're describing. But songs like Seamus, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, and "Several Species..." led to many other effects and song expansions used in their epic releases. So I feel they were essential in molding the band.

I think bands like The Stones had filler - but Zeppelin, no way! Everything had its purpose, imo.

Whether something is filler or not is not predicated upon what the band thinks. No group or artist puts out an album knowing only a handful are really great tracks with the rest just taking up space to fill the time. Filler is strictly subjective, and it's the fans who come up with it. You don't think Royal Orleans is filler. I do. There you have it. What LZ thought is immaterial.

Okay this is where I certainly disagree with you. During the 50s and 60s, albums were often released by artists, of all genres, with known filler, to just take advantage of a successful single or to meet deadlines set by the record company for a new album. The single would sell well, then the album would come out either titled after the single title, or it would have that single listed right on a sticker, or the band had to rush through recordings to please the crunch created by the label. The entire idea of the word filler is just that, to fill up space. Now, it does become subjective, I agree, when we are deciding which ones are filler and which ones aren't. This is whee I feel like only the band knows. I have a sneaking suspicion that Page sees Living Loving Maid as filler. I love the track, but he hates it, and no surprise, that Zep II was recorded in all sorts of locations to meet the need for new material for their growing popularity as a live act.

• 2 months later...

^ I guess if the songs on Coda were recorded at the time earlier albums were being assembled, but not used - then they weren't even good enough to be "filler", in the band's mind. That's just one of the things that is so amazing about Zep - you can play just about all of their original albums all the way through, without thinking about skipping a few songs. I can't really say that about any other band, off the top of my head.

Archived