Jimmy should release an official version of Blueberry Hill?

Maarten

Jimmy should released an official remastered version of their most famous bootleg, Live on Blueberry Hill. I see no reason why he couldn't do this... thoughts?

attachicon.gifblueberry-hill-1.jpg

Yes

I'd like for Page to select a few shows from each tour, polish them up a bit without taking out the between song chatter, and release them. We know Page has all the boots we have, and possibly more.

Jimmy should released an official remastered version of their most famous bootleg, Live on Blueberry Hill. I see no reason why he couldn't do this... thoughts?

attachicon.gifblueberry-hill-1.jpg

Bootlegs don't belong to the band so how can he release it?

It wasn't multi tracked. So as Jimmy is a complete perfectionist, he won't be interested in releasing a soundboard let alone an audience recording

NOPE...waste of time If you ask me. Like asking Martin Parr or Anton Corbyn to wade through your shoebox of personal photographic negatiives and slides in order to digitize and Photoshop them. The masters have better things to do

I absolutely adore the stereo BB Hill audience recordings, but the charm of these raw recordings lie in the fact that you can hear those LA hippies shout....'get off the mic goddamed'

It wasn't multi tracked. So as Jimmy is a complete perfectionist, he won't be interested in releasing a soundboard let alone an audience recording

It could be possible, maybe if he asked for people to send him their tapes like King Crimson founder Robert Fripp did. He is notorious for his hatred of tapers, but he put out the call for people to send him their tapes so he could release them at DGM live, his own music corp. Plenty of tapers obliged. He has also released whole runs from tours spanning the entire history of King Crismon and it's various incarnations from his own sets of soundboard recordings.

On the other hand, I am quite sure Jimmy would remove the bits that would make it feel like you are there, e.g. The long tuneup before Bron Y Aur probably wouldn't make the final cut even though it's a moment that people who love listening to boots would like to have included.

The music doesn't really belong to the bootleggers either...

Either way, JP should release more live stuff. He would have plenty of recordings. And lets face it only 50-60% of the latest 'companion' disc's are really interesting... How The West Was Won is a nice example.

technically, actually the boots do belong to Zep. That's why Peter Grant could walk into any record store in the 70's and take any

unauthorized Zep. Not just his irate manner. Again I wonder if Page has ever seen these forums and sites and ever considered

that so many fans would love many boots just cleaned up slightly(not by Page !!!) and released with some "extras" from Jimmy.

Probably not in his lifetime.

• 1 month later...

If I'm Jimmy, I'm thinking: "It's my band. I brought the manager, found the guys, defined the sound, produced the records, chose the setlists, and rode it till the end; and thanks very much but I'll be the arbiter of how the wider world (not the dudes on bootleg forums) experience my great life project." I've never met the man but as a lifelong admirer and observer of his work, I think his degree of emotional investment is probably too great to allow his grasp to loosen. Which means, just as when the band was active, we are at the mercy of his aesthetic choices.

Kind of like the guitar key change for the riff in the last verses of Black Dog when played live. Kind of a buzz-kill, but we all agree to look the other way out of respect.

If I'm Jimmy, I'm thinking: "It's my band. I brought the manager, found the guys, defined the sound, produced the records, chose the setlists, and rode it till the end; and thanks very much but I'll be the arbiter of how the wider world (not the dudes on bootleg forums) experience my great life project." I've never met the man but as a lifelong admirer and observer of his work, I think his degree of emotional investment is probably too great to allow his grasp to loosen. Which means, just as when the band was active, we are at the mercy of his aesthetic choices.

Kind of like the guitar key change for the riff in the last verses of Black Dog when played live. Kind of a buzz-kill, but we all agree to look the other way out of respect.

Can't argue with that. good post, good points.

Frank Zappa released copies of bootlegs in a series he called "Beat The Boots". He bootlegged the bootlegs and released them on his own label. Same recordings and artwork.

It was HIS music so he had every right to do so. Now with all of it on YouTube, it probably wouldn't do that great, but I think Zappa did pretty well with it at the time.

I agree with your second point. Jimmy probably wouldn't go for it. But Zappa figured, I would think if anyone was going to make money off of his music, it would be him.. His fans knew this and bought them up.

OK, so a lot of the live stuff is only bootlegs - not going to be released by the great man. Fair enough.

The real question then becomes - does Jimmy have multi track live recordings of concerts? Or even better, multi track with professional video?

Now if that was on the shelf.....

Does Earls Court fit that? others???

• 5 months later...

On the other hand, I am quite sure Jimmy would remove the bits that would make it feel like you are there, e.g. The long tuneup before Bron Y Aur probably wouldn't make the final cut even though it's a moment that people who love listening to boots would like to have included.

this.  He would overdub and re-record pieces so you would wind up with a Frankenstein version of the show.  The boot is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely. EC released a great idea, but when a student (I teach guitar, have all "official" releases)asked

me to show him live Ocean from HTWWW, I found a redone solo, two guitars in spots !?!? WTF !?!?

I can't even listen to that release....It is a bootleg all shined up for people who find most boots not

digestible. I thought Page and Co. prided themselves as live without a net.

Archived