Page on Joe Cocker With A Little Help From My Friends

Since Cocker's cover of With a little help from my friends is such a total reinvention of the original, and Page plays on it and, ironically, Page went on to form the band best known for totally reinventing songs, do you think Jimmy had any input on the arrangement of Cocker's version?

I think he did...this is a 'pomp and circumstance' arragement, atypical for a blues and soul belter like Joe. Beck's Bolero is also a magnificent example of this kind of bombast. And Jimmy was in charge of this one too. As much as I love the Beatles, the Joe Cocker version rules! IMHO one of the few covers that outshine the original. jimi's version of All along the watchtower is another cover that is superior to the original

I think he did...this is a 'pomp and circumstance' arragement, atypical for a blues and soul belter like Joe. Beck's Bolero is also a magnificent example of this kind of bombast. And Jimmy was in charge of this one too. As much as I love the Beatles, the Joe Cocker version rules! IMHO one of the few covers that outshine the original. jimi's version of All along the watchtower is another cover that is superior to the original

Yeah, in order to make a cover better you have to make it a different song. The Beatles version serves a totally different purpose in the context of Pepper.

Page only plays rhythm guitar on the track. Lead is played by Henry McCullough.

Track listing[edit] Side one
  1. "Feeling Alright" (Dave Mason) – 4:10
  2. "Bye Bye Blackbird" (Ray Henderson, Mort Dixon) – 3:27
  3. "Change in Louise" (Joe Cocker, Chris Stainton) – 3:22
  4. "Marjorine" (Joe Cocker, Chris Stainton) – 2:38
  5. "Just Like a Woman" (Bob Dylan) – 5:17
Side two
  1. (6.) "Do I Still Figure in Your Life?" (Pete Dello) – 3:59
  2. (7.) "Sandpaper Cadillac" (Joe Cocker, Chris Stainton) – 3:16
  3. (8.) "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Gloria Caldwell, Sol Marcus, Bennie Benjamin) – 4:41
  4. (9.) "With a Little Help from My Friends" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 5:11
  5. (10.) "I Shall Be Released" (Bob Dylan) – 4:35
Bonus tracks (1999 reissue)
  1. "The New Age of Lily" (Joe Cocker, Chris Stainton) – 2:15
  2. "Something's Coming On" (Joe Cocker, Chris Stainton) – 2:15
Personnel[edit]

Page only plays rhythm guitar on the track. Lead is played by Henry McCullough.

Not true. It's all Jimmy on that track. Henry and Jimmy split guitar duties pretty evenly on the album. No song features both on guitar.

I like all of this stuff except for, "She Came in thru the Bathroom Window." The thin guitar sound, terrible production, and general loosy-goosy feel of the track has always been a total turnoff. Not on there, but I take it was recorded around the same time.

Archived