Looking past the next three albums...

Does anyone know if all of the remasters will be put together and sold in a box set, like the remasters in '93? I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and see or just buy the albums now. (Don't worry fans, I have all the albums already)

Also, any possibility of concert releases? Not just vinyl/CD but DVD and/or blu-ray. I would love to see Royal Albert Hall '70 on blu.

I would think eventually they will release a complete studio recordings box set with the new remasters, but no idea if they would put companion tracks with it or not, possibly do 2 box sets with and without companion tracks. Who knows...

But from my view, I own the complete studio recordings box set as well as the 6 remastered CDs with companion audio that have been released, and I highly recommend purchasing the deluxe albums (cd + companion cd) over a box set that may or may not come out. Each individual release simply comes with superb packaging similar to the original vinyls, but the back is reverse artwork rather than the original backs, you can choose the original album without companion audio if that's what you prefer. But you get a nice 15 page booklet of pictures from the time of recording and what not, which is pretty cool to me, I've really appreciated it rather than most albums where you don't get a damn thing. Plus who can pass up the spin wheel on III and the cool box with Physical Graffiti?! But you're not going to hear a huge difference between the previous remasters and these, but they definitely sound clearer, and the whole loudness wars don't apply to these. And while some see these companion discs as a wasted opportunity, I think they are fantastic all around. What's wrong with an instrumental version of Going To California and Thank You, the music on tracks like that is beautiful and vocals cover part of that. I know many were disappointed with Brandy & Coke (early recording of Trampelled Underfoot) because it's "similar" to Trampelled Underfoot, but it's quite different and I personally think its much better. I think that anyone who has been disappointed with the companion discs is simply spoiled from the variation of what Zeppelin did live, some fans don't realize that Zeppelin didn't work on their songs for years prior to release which they did work on their songs for years live. I know a lot of fans have been disappointed with the lack of unheard material, but I really do think that anything worthy that hasn't been released will be on Coda. Page knows that he needs to do something or another to get Coda to sale better than it has and unheard material is the best way to do so, plus he has stated in an interview that he's going to extended to the original idea of Coda... But anyway, I've been very pleased with what we have got so far with these remastered CDs and companion albums, well worth $14 each to me. And remember this is just my opinion, you might think they're a waste of money since you already own the albums.

As far as a possibitly of live releases, all we can hope for is there will be something in the future. Zeppelin has so much great material (mainly audio, not much video exists) that deserves to be released, but nothing has been stated yet. Page said recently that he would like to perform and possibly create new material (with a different band since Plant doesn't want to be part of Zeppelin) after these are all released, but many say that's doubtful. I would really like a complete audio release of RAH '70, I still don't get why Page hasn't release it as well as Earl's Court 5/24-5/25/75 and Knebworth 8/4-8/11/79, seems quite odd to me because I rarely watch Zeppelin videos but I always listen to their music.

I have the deluxe editions in my iTunes library (they're worth it) but I would also like a CD copy (of the original albums) in case my computer dies, just so I have a backup. If I were financially comfortable, I would just buy all of the deluxe box sets and we wouldn't even need this conversation. As far as video material, something besides TSRTS on blu-ray please. I understand there isn't a lot of live material (I like that actually, it adds to their myth/legend), I just think the video that is out there should be updated for the times as well.

I have the deluxe editions in my iTunes library (they're worth it) but I would also like a CD copy (of the original albums) in case my computer dies, just so I have a backup. If I were financially comfortable, I would just buy all of the deluxe box sets and we wouldn't even need this conversation. As far as video material, something besides TSRTS on blu-ray please. I understand there isn't a lot of live material (I like that actually, it adds to their myth/legend), I just think the video that is out there should be updated for the times as well.

If you already purchased them on iTunes then I would just recommend burning them onto CDs or you can buy a jump drive for $10 or less and upload all of your music on there. I purchased a jump drive a while back just to keep all of my music on incase my computer crashed or someone were to steal my CDs, I've had bad luck with computers at times so I've learned the hard way to prevent losing music. But I'm not entirely sure if you can even transfer music purchased on iTunes to a jump drive, iTunes is really odd with trying to tell people how to own music that they purchased from them, but maybe you can. But burning them onto CDs is very nice, I always copy my CDs so that if I accidentally scratch it I'm not out on $14. And yeah, I wish I had the money to purchase the deluxe box sets, maybe after these are released the price will go down and I will.

I'm sure you have seen the Led Zeppelin DVD with the RAH show and parts of Earls Court and Knebworth and New York '73, I'm not sure if that is available in blu ray or not. But if not, I would look for that to be released sometime after these. A good release of Seattle '77 would be very nice too, something that sounds really good to set the record straight for the '77 tour.

The Zeppelin DVD released in '03 is not currently available on blu-ray. And from what I've read (I could be wrong), blank CD's that are meant for burning lose their playing ability after a certain amount of time. I do have my music on a portable hard drive but I am always skeptical about their longevity as well, thus why I prefer physical copies.

I'm afraid short of an Earl's Court live album sometime in future - you never know! - the released LZ live canon we have now is all we're likely to get; none of the 1977 shows were given multi-track sound recordings so scrub any idea of audio/video being released of that, and not all of the DVD footage could be remastered for an HD format so forget about a Blu-Ray release of that set.

Quite honestly, I'm more than happy if no other LZ live release is forthcoming, we finally got a definitive live album in the form of HTWWW - how anything could possibly follow that is beyond me - and we got the treasure trove that was DVD... and on the same day too!!! I suspect with the release of both, Jimmy Page was finally able to let go of the frustration he had that LZ never had an official live release that properly showcased what they were fully capable of, problem solved with the two aforementioned releases, and combined with the remaster/remix/re-release of TSRTS (album and film), I think he could finally lay that to rest and move on to new projects.

But we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves here, with the upcoming releases of Presence, ITTOD, and Coda, there's plenty to be excited about, and no doubt plenty to digest and discuss once released... then we can speculate about possible future releases.

The Zeppelin DVD released in '03 is not currently available on blu-ray. And from what I've read (I could be wrong), blank CD's that are meant for burning lose their playing ability after a certain amount of time. I do have my music on a portable hard drive but I am always skeptical about their longevity as well, thus why I prefer physical copies.

What cds would those be? I have cds burnt 15 years ago with plenty of scratches and they still play fine.

I believe that. Many of those blank CDs are likely made as cheap as possible for a pack of 50 costing $10, but the more expensive ones may last as long as the typical cd you buy but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, don't forget that when you purchase music on iTunes if your computer does crash or anything when you put your information on another computer you are able to re-download all of your music and videos that you already purchased for free, I believe you're able to do so up to 5 times per song or video.

I'm afraid short of an Earl's Court live album sometime in future - you never know! - the released LZ live canon we have now is all we're likely to get; none of the 1977 shows were given multi-track sound recordings so scrub any idea of audio/video being released of that, and not all of the DVD footage could be remastered for an HD format so forget about a Blu-Ray release of that set..

Curious, why couldn't the source footage (the film) for the dvd be used for a blu Ray?

im sure there will be some sort of box set regarding these new releases. I sure hope that Jimmy is saving some live later years show for a future live realease...I know he's planning ahead.

Curious, why couldn't the source footage (the film) for the dvd be used for a blu Ray?

because the source is only standard definition 625 line PAL video. You could put it on blu-ray but it would still only be standard definition - meaning the quality we've seen on DVD is as good as it gets.

Honestly, some 1977 live shows would be great, but it depends how many were multi tracked.

Sadly, none of the '77 shows were multi-tracked, they still had seven dates left to play on that tour when it was cancelled because of little Karac's passing away in England, and it's certain that one or more of those dates would have been given multi-track recordings, Jimmy Page all but confirmed this in an interview wherein he stated that LZ usually recorded shows toward the end of the tour, but they simply never got the chance in '77 for aforementioned and tragic reasons.

I know I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight, but considering both how well they played and how much they loved staying in Los Angeles, it's a wonder LZ never recorded at least one of their shows in that city on the '77 tour... it would have captured the band in (probably) their last truly great shows, before tragedy and substance abuse took over, alas...

I just recently bought the deluxe version of Zep I for the Olympia disc and the non deluxe of the other 5 that are out, but purchased individual tracks from the deluxe editions off of iTunes after sampling them and deciding which ones were worth buying. Not wanting to wait for the final 3 disc, I went ahead and purchased them off iTunes as well. When those 3 are released in deluxe and non deluxe hard copy format, I'll decide then if I want to buy them and whether it will be the deluxe or non deluxe. I may just purchase individual deluxe tracks again. I already own the individual 80s and n 90s CDs

Archived