after the 1977 tour?

zoso97

if this has been asked before i apologize but i'm wondering did the band or management have any plans after August of 1977?i know there was some larger dates left and possible recording of shows....but maybe another european tour or anything?

None that I am aware of. I think after the completion of the 1977 U.S. tour (had Karac's death not occurred), the first priority would have been to allow Robert to rest his leg. To immediately schedule a European or South American tour would have been pushing it.

Of course, if the band's management at the time was operating at its fullest capabilities the other priority would have been Detoxing the band...particularly Jimmy and Peter.

yeah, i imagine Led Zepp on tour on those times in South America... Argentina and Chile with militars... here in México with scandal and devaluation (like Queen in 1981) and other countries like Brazil or Venezuela....

would these dates have been prob similar to what was considered for fall 1975?

yeah, i imagine Led Zepp on tour on those times in South America... Argentina and Chile with militars... here in México with scandal and devaluation (like Queen in 1981) and other countries like Brazil or Venezuela....

Peter Grant did not elaborate, so we can only speculate. I would say that Mexico and Brazil would have been given strong consideration, if not encompass all of the late Autumn '77 dates. The Rolling Stones were planning to tour Mexico, Brazil and Venezuela in 1975 but those plans fell apart on account of currency fluctuations and security concerns.

• 9 months later...

Jimmy ditching the poppies or dragon stage gear for a poncho and sombrero? Aww too cute
Ha-ha  
:lol:

A South American tour?  I didn't realize had even been on the table for the band to consider.
Led Zeppelin's thug -ish mob-esque security mingling in the late 70s with the drug culture in
Mexico or Columbia? Can't see anything going wrong there. 
:wacko: It would be a regular Kumbaya
atmosphere.  A lovely idea if they were looking to top the Oakland fiasco. 

Zeppelin's entire camp would've needed to be cleaned out.  And Jimmy? O m g 
:o  our Jimbo
was a hot mess who needed to adopt the lifestyle of someone familiar with life in a monastery.

It's not necessarily the 4 guys that would be careless - It's those idiots like Bindon and Cole.  Who
knows what contraband they'd  attempt to smuggle in the bands belongings - i.e. their equipment. 
And it's not like Peter Grant was using common sense at the point.

That tail end of the Zeppelin in the 70s would've been a bad combination for south of the U.S. border.
If everyone had gotten clean, along with Bonzo :( staying with us, then an 80s Zeppelin tour in Latin
America could have been cool I think.

On 19/05/2015 at 7:59 PM, Sue Dounim said:

Good god, Zep in South America? By 1977 that either would have been amazing or a disaster.

:lol:... yeah, but think of the chapter in The Hammer of the Gods  it would have produced; could you imagine the wider Zeppelin entourage circa-'77 running amok in a godforsaken Latin American military junta state?  It practically writes itself; it would have been something akin to Graham Greene meets Hunter S Thompson, alas...

If Zeppelin in '77 had went south o' the border, someone would have ended up either dead or in jail... so maybe it's for the best it didn't happen.  That being said, I seem to remember reading in Trampled Under Foot  that the plan after the '77 U.S. tour was to start work on a new album later that year, I'm sure I read that somewhere if not in Barney Hoskyns' aforementioned book.  Of course, tragic events in England put all of that to rest, whatever was being tentatively planned.

I suspect they could have paid off the appropriate people to facilitate things, which is generally easier to do in one-party states than democracies with competing factions.  Interesting speculation about rock bands in third world countries, esp. in the 70's.  The only story I'm aware of is Deep Purple's nightmare experience in Indonesia in 1975.  (I believe they were also the first to play shows in the Communist bloc, earlier that year.)  Didn't Alice Cooper play a huge show in Brazil in 1974?  That went off without issue, no?

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I suspect they could have paid off the appropriate people to facilitate things, which is generally easier to do in one-party states than democracies with competing factions.  Interesting speculation about rock bands in third world countries, esp. in the 70's.  The only story I'm aware of is Deep Purple's nightmare experience in Indonesia in 1975.  (I believe they were also the first to play shows in the Communist bloc, earlier that year.)  Didn't Alice Cooper play a huge show in Brazil in 1974?  That went off without issue, no?

Big difference, Cooper, though a drunk, was smart as they come and was backed by clean, professional management.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

Not sure if this has already been posted, couldn't find it in 'search'....

RE: Brasil 1975

Google translation According to Peter Grant, Led Zeppelin would come to Brazil in October 1975 for shows in Sao Paulo (Anhembi), Rio de Janeiro (Maracanãzinho), Brasilia (unspecified location) and perhaps other capitals. Grant said, the magazine Pop, who wanted to bring the group to Brazil since 1972, but could not come here to negotiate. And he assured at the time that the presentation would be 'standard gringa'.

'One thing I want to make clear: whether in the United States, in London or in Brazil, do not allow a drop in quality of our presentations. The Led Zeppelin is not a slot machine, but a group that has the greatest respect for your audience. [...] We will use a giant screen projection films, slides, laser effects, thunder, etc. There will come to Brazil to fool the kids and put money in your pocket. Do we need this kind of stuff, "said Grant.

To get a sense of spending, Peter Grant revealed the necessary structure. 'Just for the transportation of instruments , stereo, light and special effects, we have to charter a plane. Relying on lodging, tickets to twenty people, etc., is around US $ 250,000 (2 million cruzeiros), "he said.

http://whiplash.net/materias/biografias/251714-ledzeppelin.html

Pop - July 1975:

pop-9-75_1.jpg

pop-9-75-b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Grant was a scary looking dude, that's for sure.

Has there ever been any discussion of how (or if) the set-list would have evolved in late '75?  I imagine they would have previewed some material from Presence.

Not possible, Presence was written as a result of the cancellation of the remaining tour dates due to Robert's injuries. If the accident never happened and the tour moved forward, who knows if and when Presence would have been written.

On 10/28/2016 at 11:55 PM, sam_webmaster said:

Not sure if this has already been posted, couldn't find it in 'search'....

RE: Brasil 1975

Google translation According to Peter Grant, Led Zeppelin would come to Brazil in October 1975 for shows in Sao Paulo (Anhembi), Rio de Janeiro (Maracanãzinho), Brasilia (unspecified location) and perhaps other capitals. Grant said, the magazine Pop, who wanted to bring the group to Brazil since 1972, but could not come here to negotiate. And he assured at the time that the presentation would be 'standard gringa'.

'One thing I want to make clear: whether in the United States, in London or in Brazil, do not allow a drop in quality of our presentations. The Led Zeppelin is not a slot machine, but a group that has the greatest respect for your audience. [...] We will use a giant screen projection films, slides, laser effects, thunder, etc. There will come to Brazil to fool the kids and put money in your pocket. Do we need this kind of stuff, "said Grant.

To get a sense of spending, Peter Grant revealed the necessary structure. 'Just for the transportation of instruments , stereo, light and special effects, we have to charter a plane. Relying on lodging, tickets to twenty people, etc., is around US $ 250,000 (2 million cruzeiros), "he said.

Very interesting. So they would have perhaps played Brazil in October 1975 before the return to Scandanavia in November 1975. We know even The Rolling Stones could not make Brazil happen in 1975, but it seems this also means Led Zeppelin would have been that much more determined to make Brazil happen in Autumn 1977 as Peter alluded to in 1979. If I recall correctly, Jimmy did take Charlotte and Scarlet with him to visit Jim Capaldi's family in Brazil circa 1978. There is a press clipping (captioned photo) from that visit but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

Not possible, Presence was written as a result of the cancellation of the remaining tour dates due to Robert's injuries. If the accident never happened and the tour moved forward, who knows if and when Presence would have been written.

Jimmy plays the intro to Tea for One after Tangerine at Earl's Court on May 25th, I'd have to think they had some material fleshed out by summer of '75, although obviously not all of it.

3 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Jimmy plays the intro to Tea for One after Tangerine at Earl's Court on May 25th, I'd have to think they had some material fleshed out by summer of '75, although obviously not all of it.

I stand corrected, it was *before* Tangerine (on the 25th).  But they clearly play it (a snippet of Tea for One).

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I stand corrected, it was *before* Tangerine (on the 25th).  But they clearly play it (a snippet of Tea for One).

Is that on the Court of King James release or was that on the 24th?

7 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Is that on the Court of King James release or was that on the 24th?

The version on my phone that I listen to is Physical Express Rocket (or something like that), it's definitely the 25th.  It's referenced here as well:

http://www.theyearofledzeppelin.com/2008/09/day-212-5251975-london-england.html

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 5:14 PM, Strider said:

Of course, if the band's management at the time was operating at its fullest capabilities the other priority would have been Detoxing the band...particularly Jimmy and Peter.

Peter Grant was the bands management.  I highly doubt he would publicly announce that his "other priority would have been Detoxing the band"... particularly him being one of them. 

11 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Doubtful. They spent June & July travelling and living in tax exile. There are no known recording sessions for 1975 until November.

Archived