acoustic instrumental favorites

ScarletMacaw

I don't play my acoustic guitar that much due to tendonitis, but I am looking for a tune to learn. When I picked up the guitar again after a 30-year hiatus in 2013, I went about re-learning Stairway to Heaven and Tangerine, and learned Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Over the Hills and Far Away (which I actually prefer to play on electric because it's easier). I've been trying to learn Bron-yr-Aur but the tabs I have are not accurate and Page plays it so fast that I am having trouble figuring it out. Now I'm looking for some non-Zep acoustic instumentals to learn...which are your favorites to play?

I guess people missed the part where I said I only started playing again two years ago and have tendonitis...no way will I ever be able to play "Spanish Fly." "Winter Solstice" sounds like it has an overdub or a second guitar and some of it is over my skill level. "Badger" is nice, sounds Black Mountain Side-ish...maybe a little slower. In truth the first tune mentioned sounds very repetitive to me.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I can figure some things out by ear, but not complicated tunes.

I guess people missed the part where I said I only started playing again two years ago and have tendonitis...no way will I ever be able to play "Spanish Fly." "Winter Solstice" sounds like it has an overdub or a second guitar and some of it is over my skill level. "Badger" is nice, sounds Black Mountain Side-ish...maybe a little slower. In truth the first tune mentioned sounds very repetitive to me.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I can figure some things out by ear, but not complicated tunes.

Do you use tabs? They are exceptionally useful. There's plenty of them around and they can help to iron out the kinks.

some more great acoustic tracks (most with words, although I know you said instrumental in the title):

Coil by opeth

brother by alice in chains

With twilight as my guide by the mars volta

Cannonball by damien rice

The foundry by gravenhurst

Is there anybody out there by pink floyd

Road tripping by the red hot chili peppers

End of a holiday by fairport convention

Dust In The Wind - came out of a finger exercise Kansas guitarist / songwriter Kerry Livgren was messing around with.

Yes, great super easy tune to learn yet very impressive sounding. I am working on Steve Howe's Mood for a Day which is really just a mash up of six different pieces.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found some tabs on ultimateguitar.com....their "Dust in the Wind" doesn't sound totally accurate to me and am having trouble getting the rhythm right...found a tab for "Orchid" by Black Sabbath that sounds mostly correct and the rhythm is easier plus I like it a lot better than "Dust in the Wind"...probably will work on that for awhile....

Archived