Led Zeppelin Gear Book Due In October

The Pagemeister

"Led Zeppelin Gear: All The Gear From Led Zeppelin And The Solo Careers" is a 600-plus-page monster of a tome, filled with the instrumentation, amplification, effects and accessories that each member of LED ZEPPELIN used throughout their lifetime. Author Jeff Strawman has written the book in a chronological format, beginning with the emergence of the piece of gear was used for each member.

Chapter One, "Jimmy Page: The Grand Sorcerer", which comes from a description from Keith Relf prior to performing "Shapes Of Things" at the Anderson Theatre in New York City, New York on March 30, 1968. From a found Spanish guitar to the Martin D-28 Marquis acoustic guitar that was used by Page on his last live performance in 2011, the reader will learn about Page use of selected pieces of signature gear to create the sound he wanted.

Chapter Two, "John Paul Jones: The Groove", lets the reader learn that Jones is much, much more than just a bass guitarist. He is a multi-instrumentalist that is not afraid to pick up any instrument or have any instrumented crafted to get the music out of his head and projected out through his fingers. Jones had never stopped evolving and transforming sound and was never stuck or felt comfortable in just one genre.

Chapter Three, "John Bonham: The Thunder", chronicles a kid from the Black Country that went from rags to riches in his eighteen-year professional musical career. The world will never see another drummer with Bonham's hard-hitting, technical expertise, being able to stay slightly behind the beat, showmanship and good looks.

Chapter Four, "Robert Plant: The Lion", addresses that skinny, blond, head-strong Adonis who wanted to make it on his terms. He hasn't been linked to only just one genre of music, while still appearing current.

Chapter Five, "Three Hours Of Lunacy", discusses the gear that were used to amplify ZEPPELIN at their gigs, from the earliest days up to their last performance.

Chapter Six, "Magic Studio Days", is a song-by-song analysis of the gear that was used in the studio, both by the members of LED ZEPPELIN, as well by the engineers. Also included is a study of the tracks in each song, as well as a brief history on the songs.

"Led Zeppelin Gear" will be released in hard cover, special edition leather bound and electronic formats on October 6.

http://www.ledzepgearbook.com/

Sounds awesome, hope it details exactly Page's string gauges and such thru the years. There is much speculation and misinformation

around this.

No mystery here. Jimmy has been asked this many times in guitar magazines: Ernie Ball Slinky's .08-.38 and on Acoustic Ernie Ball Earthwoods.

It's a shame no publishing house was willing to take this book on instead of it having to be self-published. I mean, if they can publish Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones gear books, certainly there is a market for a Led Zeppelin gear book.

The Pagemeister: Will there be a section citing sources?

Yes, and it's a BIG section.

It's a shame no publishing house was willing to take this book on instead of it having to be self-published. I mean, if they can publish Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones gear books, certainly there is a market for a Led Zeppelin gear book.

Tis true. I was rejected by 8 publishing houses. The best reply was that Led Zeppelin was not topical. And this was right after the O2 concert and by a publisher that published many books on artists and bands. Alas, this will get published.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/led-zeppelin-gear/x/10908131#/story is the place to go to order.

• 2 months later...

And you can pre-order a copy starting tomorrow!

NewCover.png

Is it just me or does Page look a little like Ritchie Blackmore in this shot? I think it's the angle and his expression. The funny thing is that I've never thought the two men look anything alike.

Is it just me or does Page look a little like Ritchie Blackmore in this shot? I think it's the angle and his expression. The funny thing is that I've never thought the two men look anything alike.

What a Trip!!! The author can write a 600 page tome of Led Zeppelin's Gear but then get it all wrong by using a picture of Ritchie Blackmore tuning up his Double-Neck. Who was the editor and publisher of this book (which I will buy, by the way)?

C'mon guys, ...Ritchie ??? This is Jimmy tuning his double neck. I reckon sometime in 1972 (Montreux?).

Ritchie was no advocate of Gibson ever since he discovered Fender Strats in 1970. (and BTW, Blackmore began loosing hair in his twenties)

No idea. Is that David Coverdale playing tambourine?

It looks like Robert Plant circa 1994. The long blonde ringlets give him away. Speaking of hair...Ian Paice sported long, frizzy waves during his Purple days. His face is also rounder. That's not him on the drums on the book's cover.

What a Trip!!! The author can write a 600 page tome of Led Zeppelin's Gear but then get it all wrong by using a picture of Ritchie Blackmore tuning up his Double-Neck. Who was the editor and publisher of this book (which I will buy, by the way)?

So funny! It is from May 27, 1972 in Amsterdam. Photo by Gijsbert Hanekroot.

• 2 months later...

Archived