Is there a movie that changed your life?

stacilayne

Hey, fellow Zep heads! Some of you might remember me from my rather spotty postings here, over several years. Or not. Anyway, since I love Led Zep, and I love Led Zep fans, I thought I'd post my little Call for Submissions here.

Would you like to write a short chapter for my upcoming book?

The Movie That Changed My Life is a collection of stories written by people from all walks of life (doctors, store clerks, astrologers, chefs, woodworkers, truck drivers, etc.) about a film that touched their lives in some significant way.

These anecdotes need not *all* be earth-shattering or profound. Some will be laugh-out-loud funny or maybe centered around crazy experiences while a certain movie was playing; they can be about a movie you didn’t know changed your life until later (first-date movie with spouse-to-be, perhaps?); the first film you ever saw; a movie that made you decide to go into a certain profession, or made you realize it was time to quit your job, etc. These stories can be centered around any kind of feature film – documentary to horror, silent to animated, noir to giallo, and everything in between.

It will be a fun, fast read. Kindle to start, and maybe print-on-demand in the future.

I cannot pay you for your contribution, but I am giving 25% of net sales to Reel Grrls. At Reel Grrls, girls ages 9 - 21 learn production skills through hands-on workshops and classes taught by female media professionals and educators. Reel Grrls is a 501c(3) non-profit organization.

= = =

Here’s what I need:

Your name, your profession. (Student or Retired is OK, too.) Your email address (for my use only, not to be published).

The story. From 500 – 750 words. Somewhere in your story, you must include the name of the movie, what it’s about, and talk about a scene from it that stuck with you. The story must have heart – whether it’s funny or poignant, it has to be entertaining!

A short, snappy bio about you; no more than 3 or 4 sentences. Be as funny or as creative as you can! Boring bios… bad. Please add your twitter, instagram, blog, or website.

= = =

The deadline is July 1, 2015. By sending your story, you agree that you understand: it’s a contribution, and that it may be edited for content and grammar, punctuation, etc.

Send it to me at: BlueStreakProductions@gmail.com

My name is Staci Layne Wilson, and you can check Amazon Kindle for my other books (just so you know you’re not sending your stories into a black vortex of “?”)

• 1 month later...

Closest I can come is Boyz N The Hood.

As a white male, this movie brought me the closest I had ever been to comprehending the circumstances a lot of young Black males face as everyday life.

It was jarring and I truly felt a new and deep sense of empathy for the plight of young Black males in our country.

1339436550_Boyz_n_the_hood_poster.jpg

Closest I can come is Boyz N The Hood.

As a white male, this movie brought me the closest I had ever been to comprehending the circumstances a lot of young Black males face as everyday life.

It was jarring and I truly felt a new and deep sense of empathy for the plight of young Black males in our country.

1339436550_Boyz_n_the_hood_poster.jpg

Good choice. Seems like a few people here need to see this one.

Not really, but there are movies which sort of connect with me or remind me about certain aspects of my life or certain events in my life that it sometimes feels odd

- High Fidelity

- About a Boy

- Fever Pitch

- A Long Way Down

No love for 'Juliet' then.....wait that's only a book.

Good choice. Seems like a few people here need to see this one.

I didn't have to see the movie. Hell, I lived it in Hayward, CA (Princeton by A St.) with drive by shootings, shootouts, gangs, drug dealers, hostage situations and that fucking police helicopter constantly flying over. The rent was cheap, but it was two years of hell.

Well, no movie has changed my life.

But seeing the movie theater presentation of The Planet of the Apes in 1968, as a 12 year old, was a moving experience.

I was 26 when I saw The Thing at a midnight showing, the first week of it's release, in 1982. That was stunning !!

• 4 months later...

I can think of two movies that I was so impressed with, they didn't change my life, but definitely imparted some great lessons.

The Shawshank Redemption.  Even though it is fiction, the fact that the main character hangs on in prison, keeping his "years in the making" escape a secret, and finds a way to invite his friend to join him once he got out, was pretty amazing.  Never give up, never forget your friends.

Stand By Me.  The friendships at that age are just so amazing, and you're peering over the edge: do I jump into adulthood, it looks cool, but there's a lot of neat stuff here that I will be leaving behind. 

• 3 months later...

Archived