Swan Song (the unreleased track)

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that in fact Plant had heard this and was kind of neutral about it. I think the track is cool but

even with a full Zep treatment IMO the track needs trimming or more focus, even the eventual Firm version. I think the other Zep members

showed excellent judgement at times not just blindly accepting whatever Page threw at them("Shake My Tree") is another. Zep expert

Steve could probably elaborate on this.

Although I like The Firm I listened mostly for Jimmy. Personally I don't think Paul and Jimmy go together as well as Jimmy and Robert and because Paul's singing style was so different it feels like Jimmy had to use a shoehorn on Paul's vocals to fit with his timing and it wasn't a good fit. Now, If you add Roberts vocal style the song would have had a better flow from section to section.

Very astute observation about Jimmy's timing not quite jiving with Paul's, Juxtiphi. Actually "Mean Business" managed some tracks

with Paul having to step out of his comfort zone. But even Jimmy commented after the Firm folded that he loved Paul's voice but he was

trying to push Paul into more experimental areas without much success. There are many reliable sources that have said that Paul

could be a nightmare to work with. And supposedly Paul is playing guitar on some of the first album !!! Maybe that explains come of the

rather generic rhythm playing on that album.

I don't actually believe that Plant would even try to sing over most of the Firm material; when Robert went to go see Jimmy play

in the Firm, he loved Page's solos and still potent stage presence, but he also mentioned the cliched and overly conventional

nature of most of the songs.

Very astute observation

but he also mentioned the cliched and overly conventional

nature of most of the songs.

Thanks, I blame all of that on Paul. I like The Firm, but Paul is just too stodgy and is ultimately why The Firm didn't reach higher goals.

I love Midnight Moonlight and i love Paul Rodger's bluesy voice but now with all the comments above I am now visualizing what it would be like if Plant had sung on it.Yes this track is out of Paul 's comfort zone but he handles it well and his rich tone is unparalllelled but i feel Rob would have added more dynamics to it especially at the end.

I think the mood the song sets is very evocative and really, I have never heard another song like it. I don't know why, but for some

reason besides some small sections found in live WS/BMS as far back as 70', a lot of this IMO sounds like some fairy opium

dream. It seems hazy and some of the parts really seem to emit a sort of luminous glow, my strange take. But Page was messing

about with the type of opiates that could lead to a song like this. I have a hard time believing somebody straight could come up with

this.

• 11 months later...

By choosing not to include swan song with the recent campaign might serve a couple of purposes.

It's saved for another day

maintains the sense of mystery, the thought of what might have been or might be to come.

It all keeps us salivating over the prospect and the pressure on to fill the demand. 

Just a thought. 

17 hours ago, JAP said:

By choosing not to include swan song with the recent campaign might serve a couple of purposes.

It's saved for another day

maintains the sense of mystery, the thought of what might have been or might be to come.

It all keeps us salivating over the prospect and the pressure on to fill the demand. 

Just a thought. 

Stick to your boot cos your'e NEVER going to hear it any other way.

:-(

ive only listened to it through you tube. There's one or two different clips . I remember hearing one where someone had put what sounded like an RP vocal fill in. Can't find that one anymore? 

I suppose those don't count as boots. What's the best way of hearing it? 

1 hour ago, JAP said:

:-(

ive only listened to it through you tube. There's one or two different clips . I remember hearing one where someone had put what sounded like an RP vocal fill in. Can't find that one anymore? 

I suppose those don't count as boots. What's the best way of hearing it? 

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

Several excerpts from Swan Song surfaced on the Studio Magik set. Having heard those, I'd have to say that all of the best parts were used in Midnight Moonlight. 

is there a difference in sound quality between what is available on you tube or a copy of the studio magik set?

It's variable, really - the Studio Magik excerpts aren't all of the same quality. Some are really clear, some less so. And my Studio Magik is all cd-r copies, so that might not be helping! Someone with a better hi-fi set up should be able to answer this, though?

• 1 month later...

Mystery why Swang Song never became a fully-fledged song. Can only speculate that Plant couldn't come up with a melody line. Had all the makings of a zep classic. Sadly, if Jimmy was asked in an interview we'd get a cryptic answer and be none thew wiser! ha ha.

3 hours ago, JAP said:

Now with the "complete BBC sessions" announcement I reckon the likely hood of us seeing swan song being given some kind of official treatment is a little bit higher.

No chance, never not ever...

If it was ever going to get an official release, the recent Physical Graffiti  companion disc was the time and place... but it didn't happen, so it likely won't ever now.  Interestingly, in a 1977 interview with Dave Schulps (that you can hear online very easily), Jimmy talks about a twenty-minute instrumental he had planned to record during the Presence  sessions in November 1975, but ultimately didn't have time because of having to lay down overdubs... I'm wondering if 'Swan Song' was that instrumental (because supposedly it was about twenty minutes long in it's original incarnation) or an entirely different track altogether?

If it isn't, it's a pity Jimmy never got around to that Presence  instrumental... but like so much with Zeppelin, it's what could have been that continues to fascinate and tantalize as much as what was.

Archived