Swan Song (the unreleased track)

33 minutes ago, The Old Hermit said:

If it was ever going to get an official release, the recent Physical Graffiti  companion disc was the time and place... but it didn't happen, so it likely won't ever now.  Interestingly, in a 1977 interview with Dave Schulps (that you can hear online very easily), Jimmy talks about a twenty-minute instrumental he had planned to record during the Presence  sessions in November 1975, but ultimately didn't have time because of having to lay down overdubs... I'm wondering if 'Swan Song' was that instrumental (because supposedly it was about twenty minutes long in it's original incarnation) or an entirely different track altogether?

If it isn't, it's a pity Jimmy never got around to that Presence  instrumental... but like so much with Zeppelin, it's what could have been that continues to fascinate and tantalize as much as what was.

Yes the PG release would have been the place for it. If that's our lot. Sunshine woman would have been great on the coda release but it's even better as part of the complete BBC sessions. All this mystery is first rate entertainment for me.... 

7 minutes ago, JAP said:

Yes the PG release would have been the place for it. If that's our lot. Sunshine woman would have been great on the coda release but it's even better as part of the complete BBC sessions. All this mystery is first rate entertainment for me.... 

So true.  It's interesting that 'White Summer'/'Black Mountain Side' is finally getting a proper 24/96 release on the new BBC Sessions... I couldn't understand why Jimmy inexplicably left it out on last year's remastered Coda... now I know why, I wonder if the new BBC set was being planned at that time?

Jimmy Page, ladies and gentlemen; the man of mystery, hiding in the shadows and peeking around corners B).

Oh, and I do believe 'Swan Song' and the instrumental Jimmy mentioned to Dave Schulps in 1977 were indeed one and the same track; Paul Rodgers reminisced in an interview about Jimmy bringing in a nineteen-minute instrumental recorded on cassette (dating back to Zeppelin) during production of the first Firm album, so they were, in all likelihood, one and the same.

I do suspect the BBC thing was put together around  the same time. To me it would make sense to pick everything (within reason) from every tape reel in one long job then assemble sets from the results, then plan order of release then remaster selected tracks inline with the release schedule So there's a logic to it all. less likely to look back and think I wish I had included this or left off that etc.

I think this is mentioned somewhere that Swan/Midnight has a close cousin in Ten Years Gone therefore not on PG.Both the jazzy mid sections,the quiet guitar interludes,the loud bits,etc.I liked the Firm a lot and bought the albums when released.Paul is notoriosly fiery but he is a great blues belter.I compare him to the late Jimmy Deware of Robin Tower fame.I think he cops a lot of flak because he is a completely different singer than Plant as was the case with Sir Frederick.Yes Paul did play rhythm guitar most notably on Radioactive,a song I didn't go much on and released as a single.I think Page and Rogers sounded great together despite what others say.No,there was no Immigrant Song or Stairway but there was Midnight Moonlight which was their best.

I think the song is interesting but is B-material and that's why Plant wasn't blown by it. The song is certainly distinctive

but even though Jimmy was playing parts of it live as early as70', for some reason in my mind the song is encrusted

in a hazy opium fog. Cool that there are Firm fans out there, But for me ( And Page has even said this) the band was 

mainly Jimmy's guitar skill rehab project. Each to their own.

I'd say it's far more interesting than Boogie with Stu and Black Country Woman which are derivative, throw-aways. And Down by the Seaside, aside from the bridge, has always been a snooze for me. Would have liked to have seen it on the record and BWS and BCW, or Night Flight, taken off.

ive only ever had access to the 5 mins or so that you can pick up on you tube so it's in this form that I evaluate it and enjoy it. I think I read somewhere, perhaps on here that it was intended that it was to bel based on the four seasons . So I missing 15 mins worth . Clearly page had bigger ideas for this beaut  and therefore regards it differently to  the 5 min riffathon on YouTube. An except from it might have been good on the PG disc , but at 20 mins    It could support itself

12 hours ago, JAP said:

ive only ever had access to the 5 mins or so that you can pick up on you tube so it's in this form that I evaluate it and enjoy it. I think I read somewhere, perhaps on here that it was intended that it was to bel based on the four seasons . So I missing 15 mins worth . Clearly page had bigger ideas for this beaut  and therefore regards it differently to  the 5 min riffathon on YouTube. An except from it might have been good on the PG disc , but at 20 mins    It could support itself

To me all the outtakes are essentially the same albeit with different levels of doneness.

Page has said in an interview that he felt Swan Song was too unfinished to be released as a companion disc track (on PG, I suppose, or possibly on Coda). I interpret that statement to mean that since it became a full-on track recorded by a different band (The Firm), he's not inclined to think of it as a Zep song, but rather an idea he had, which he didn't develop into a song until The Firm.

On a related note, he's said many times - including in the documentary It Might Get Loud - that the original long instrumental thing he was working on was indeed called Swan Song, that it was a suite of course, and that it's also where the basic riff from Kashmir came from.

Yeah, don't be misled. There are no "done" versions, but on various studio boots all the takes together, maybe 30 min

or more. If iI'm wrong, correct me. I think Jones plays keys on a little. My boots are all disorganized. Did Bonzo play on 

some of it ?? Thought so, maybe not.

• 2 months later...

To me the basic offbeat rhythm sounds not too dissimilar to that on For Your Life. Perhaps the band developed it further and eventually parts of it inspired FYL; acoustic --> Presence heavy. Just a thought.

Archived