June 16 Rollingstone Page Previews Final Zeppelin Reissues,Closes Band Vault: Page plans to return to active guitar playing, once

Megalodon

"Looking at the whole bootleg scene and knowing how much live material had already come out, and pretty good stuff at that, dealing with the studio outtakes seemed to be a more satisfying project," he said. "I knew the chronology and the quality of what was going to turn up so I could really visualize it a lot easier than all the [live] bootlegs that are out there. This is what needed to be done – the whole Led Zeppelin world in the studio needed to be dealt with properly and seriously."

So...by the looks of this he has not ruled out future live releases, but they aren't exactly hot on his mind either. I guess the market can't now absorb any new Zeppelin product until the 2020s.

Well whatever Page says about the releases, barring any fantastic revelations from the final three, IMO as a whole all the releases as

a whole are not really up to the Zeppelin brand. Maybe Page did spend thousands of hrs blah, blah, but I just don't see it in the final

product.

As far as Page returning to active playing, I realize many have been frustrated and disappointed with his inactivity.

And still more patience may be required, but I am 100% certain he will return, and then I will be laughing at those who were

100% certain he was absolutely retired, yet scrambling for good seats when he does come around. I know as a musician for Page

to get tip-top is not really the problem; assembling a good band with chemistry and playing the right songs is a much more

daunting problem.

"Looking at the whole bootleg scene and knowing how much live material had already come out, and pretty good stuff at that, dealing with the studio outtakes seemed to be a more satisfying project," he said. "I knew the chronology and the quality of what was going to turn up so I could really visualize it a lot easier than all the [live] bootlegs that are out there. This is what needed to be done – the whole Led Zeppelin world in the studio needed to be dealt with properly and seriously."

So...by the looks of this he has not ruled out future live releases, but they aren't exactly hot on his mind either. I guess the market can't now absorb any new Zeppelin product until the 2020s.

They've done a live release about every five years since 1997.

If there's another my bet is Earls Court boxed set by early 2017.

1997 - Live at the BBC

2003 - How The West Was Won

2007 - The Song Remains The Same (remastered)

2012 - Celebration Day

Usually this kind of talk from Page (putting a band together and touring again) is usually a pipe dream for him, but he has mentioned it an awful lot recently, more than usual. I wonder if he IS going to do do it.

Talk is cheap. Last year he said it would be the latter half of this year. Well, it's already mid-June and there's still no band and no plan. Forget it.

They've done a live release about every five years since 1997.

If there's another my bet is Earls Court boxed set by early 2017.

1997 - Live at the BBC

2003 - How The West Was Won

2007 - The Song Remains The Same (remastered)

2012 - Celebration Day

Earls Court box set / 3cd set would be the most likely thing I agree, especially as Kevin Shirley has confirmed that the masters from all 5 nights exist and there has been no hint that Jimmy has anything else significant multitracked that isn't already out. As for the timing, 2017 would be great but I won't hold my breath. I would imagine that market forces will dictate that new Zeppelin product is given another lengthy rest after this current spate of re-issues. Maybe Jimmy will need a rest too, quietly forget about his new musical direction, get a little bored, and then decide to look seriously at the EC tapes. And when/if he does, that will no doubt turn into another long, long process.

Don't forget 2023- possibly a six(6!!)CD release of the 77' LA Forum shows. If he is alive, of course.

Well, that would certainly be nice, but I for one can't imagine Jimmy ever releasing 'official' boots. Reckon Percy wouldn't be too hot on this idea too.

Earls Court box set / 3cd set would be the most likely thing I agree, especially as Kevin Shirley has confirmed that the masters from all 5 nights exist and there has been no hint that Jimmy has anything else significant multitracked that isn't already out. As for the timing, 2017 would be great but I won't hold my breath. I would imagine that market forces will dictate that new Zeppelin product is given another lengthy rest after this current spate of re-issues. Maybe Jimmy will need a rest too, quietly forget about his new musical direction, get a little bored, and then decide to look seriously at the EC tapes. And when/if he does, that will no doubt turn into another long, long process.

A tantalising prospect - Shirley has confirmed all 5 nights of EC have been converted to 24 bit/96kHz, so they are just sitting there waiting to be released. Come on Jimmy, just agree to have them all uploaded to HD Tracks and avoid all the messing around with a physical release, and we can all die happy

A tantalising prospect - Shirley has confirmed all 5 nights of EC have been converted to 24 bit/96kHz, so they are just sitting there waiting to be released. Come on Jimmy, just agree to have them all uploaded to HD Tracks and avoid all the messing around with a physical release, and we can all die happy

see that would be quite interesting, the question then becomes does it become a CD/DVD package given they have video footage? We know the footage exists and have in fact SEEN a great deal of it, just depends on Page's outlook. Honestly though I wouldn't expect a box set, that's not how Pagey rolls, but rather a compilation that has every track performed in its running order (same setlist all 5 nights) with obviously whatever splices and changes page chooses to make to create a "best" version of any song. WE all know how he loves to pop in whatever makes the song sound optimal, see Stairway from HTWWW containing the keyboards from the Southampton show on the intro.......

honestly, i think we'll see Earl's court get out there for the world to see. Knebworth not so much as the DVD seemed to clearly show that Page heavily favoured just one of the days and overall the performance hasn't historically been judged to have as much oooomphhh as the earl's court shows. Seems nothing from 77 will ever see the light of day too.......we shall see.

see that would be quite interesting, the question then becomes does it become a CD/DVD package given they have video footage? We know the footage exists and have in fact SEEN a great deal of it, just depends on Page's outlook.

It took a really tremendous effort just to salvage the film footage that has been used officially thus far. To try to bake, splice and edit together some semblance of a full show for official release would be a tall order. If I'm a betting man, Jimmy would let bootleg videos suffice and just focus on producing a definitive audio release.

It took a really tremendous effort just to salvage the film footage that has been used officially thus far. To try to bake, splice and edit together some semblance of a full show for official release would be a tall order. If I'm a betting man, Jimmy would let bootleg videos suffice and just focus on producing a definitive audio release.

It's a sure bet that all of the available video/film and audio sources will have been committed to a digital medium, considering the poor condition most of it was in at the time of DVD/HTWWW and the increasing scarcity and reliability of some of the playback equipment. You can only really bake tapes once reliably - once the adhesive that holds the magnetic media to the mylar/whatever substrate has started to denature and you've baked it to firm it up again, you only get one or two passes to get the information off of that media. Not sure what the deal is with film, but I'm betting it's a similar story.

The other thing is, when this stuff is too far gone there's no getting it back, so it would have been foolish in the extreme not to store all of that information on an alternative format whilst they were restoring it, whether they were going to use it or not. Add to that the fact that digital editing of video and audio is far quicker and easier than using tape or film, and best of all it is non-destructive (there's no actual cutting of tape/film going on) - plus the transfer process lets you deal with audio & video that's as near as dammit 1st generation.

I think the issue will be more whether there is a will to do it, and that will has to come from all 3 remaining members. Considering the almost total lack of comments from JPJ & RP during the latest bout of remasters, I doubt if that will is there.

We know from Jimmy & Kevin Shirley that there are technical issues with some of the multitracks - one night is missing the kick-drum for example - so that limits what would be usable.

I think it's possible we'll see an EC audio release at some point, but I'm not sure if we'll see it while all three remaining members of the band are still about, and frankly if Jimmy has any music left in him I'd rather see him commit to that than any new Zep releases.

Archived