Favorite instrumentals on companion discs

kirchzep27

The Song Remains the Same. A close second would be No Quarter, followed by Jennings Farm Blues.

The instrumental TSRTS is just incredible, possibly my favorite of all the companion tracks so far.

• 2 weeks later...

After the last three arrived yesterday I burned a compilation of instrumentals. 10 ribs and st Tristans sword stand out, but Poor Tom and Walters Walk fare very well as instrumentals. TSRTS, Four Sticks and No Quarter all have film soundtrack qualities. What a great band!

In order to complete the picture I added Swan Song, Hey Hey and Kashmir to my instrumental compilation...did Jimmy skip Swan Song because it was reworked as 'Bird on a wing' by the Firm?

• 2 weeks later...

Ehh hard to tell because there are quite a few all in all and they are all fantastic IMHO! But after thinking about it for quite some time and after hearing the last 3 remasters for over a month I finally narrowed it down to 3 in no particular order...

Thank You. Being my favorite song for many years, how could an instrumental not be one of my favorites?! The music is simply beautiful and Jonsey's organ isn't covered up by any beautiful vocals which it's great to have both!

Going To California. Perhaps the most beautiful instrumental I have ever heard. I always thought that Plant's amazing vocals made this song so great, but it's almost better without his vocals covering up some beautiful guitar and mandolin. As said above "It's great to have both!".

St. Tristan's Sword. I have never heard this song until July 31, and refusing to look at the track listing until after I heard the album I had no idea what song I was listening to, but it was great (that whole 3rd disc was soooo great!! I was completely stunned when I heard every song, but Bring It On Home was the biggest surprise because I figured all the material on II was used). St. Tristan's Sword has some really cool music! However, I really wish we had a performance with Plant singing on it, unless there is a bootlegged copy..? I wonder what lyrics would be in it.. A great instrumental nonetheless!!

• 2 months later...

Archived