Favorite instrumentals on companion discs

kirchzep27

I agree with the rough consensus here. For me St. Tristan's, 10 Ribs, and TSRTS are at the top, the first two because they are my favorites of the tracks that are true instrumentals, as opposed to backing tracks for songs that eventually got vocals added; and the latter because it's definitely a grail - "The Campaign" as originally conceived by Page, a long instrumental overture before The Rain Song.

But I also would add Sick Again from the PG companion disc. A completely different performance, and a real revelation given that it clearly is the template for the Rover-Sick Again mashup the band did on the '77 tour. Plus th it sounds like you're right there in the room with Page and Bonham.

In addition to those, I would say my Top 5, errr 6, would be rounded out by Jennings and Walter's Walk. Had Jennings not already been available in bootleg form (and in very good sound quality), I think we all would've lost our minds with surprise and joy when it showed up on the Zep III companion disc. 

And I find the instrumental Walter's Walk to be fantastic, better than in the album version with vocals. I like Plant's vocal, but because it's from 1982 IMHO it doesn't quite match the rawness and heaviness of the backing track. And Page also added guitar overdubs in '82 that definitely made it sound more finished and modern, but also took away from the raw power.

I also think Evermore is gorgeous and really enjoy a lot of the other instrumental tracks too, especially La La, Friends, Over the Hills, and Going to California.

• 4 weeks later...

The bass drum on bathroom sound is so good, then jimmy takes it somewhere cool too

I agree on "Bathroom Sound." It's a very cool sound without the vocals. I almost like it better as an instrumental. 

I like "Out on the Tiles", but the music alone makes me like the track even better now. 

And YES....Bonham's drumming on the track is so good. So fluid and powerful at the same time. 

Jennings is spectacular, but I say it is a missed opportunity. I really do wish Mr Page had added the guitar noodling with Bonham's bluesy wail at the start as a lead in al-a the bootleg, take 1. It is only a few seconds, but it is phenomenal. Having said that, it's still brilliant!

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2015 at 4:12 AM, rm2551 said:

Jennings is spectacular, but I say it is a missed opportunity. I really do wish Mr Page had added the guitar noodling with Bonham's bluesy wail at the start as a lead in al-a the bootleg, take 1. It is only a few seconds, but it is phenomenal. Having said that, it's still brilliant!

Total agreement there! 

I don't want to say that TSRTS would have been better as an instrumental because I like the lyrics and it is one of my favorite songs. But it may have been better served as an instrumental going right in to The Rain Song.

The instrumental is a hard winter, perhaps one endured by a soldier on a campaign, then a return for winters yield to the spring time of my loving....... yep, it's getting late.

I program my CD player to play the instrumental as a prelude to the Rain Song sometimes. I like it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Friends is a good one. I've always loved that track. It's such a unique song. It has a spookiness to it, very haunting. The best instrumental though has to be Pod. It's a pity no vocals were added. It could have been a great song had it been on Presence.

3 hours ago, poortom88 said:

Friends is a good one. I've always loved that track. It's such a unique song. It has a spookiness to it, very haunting. The best instrumental though has to be Pod. It's a pity no vocals were added. It could have been a great song had it been on Presence.

What do you mean, it is a good song, after all Phil Collins used a good portion of it for We Said Hello Goodbye (see my post above).

Am I the only person who doesn't think 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod)  song fits with the
album Presence ?   Each Zep album had it's own formula and for me personally I don't hear
the Pod song as a track on Presence.   I'm not saying I dislike it,  I don't mind it  -  just
questioning how it would or would not have suited Presence.   I know it was a bonus track,  
but for some reason it feels more like something that would relate better on  In Through The
Out Door. 
  Jonesy keys on Presence were hidden and locked away in the attic for that album,  
so maybe that's  weighing in on my opinion

Oh well we can't be choosy.  Who am I to question what tracks go where. :lol:  You take the bonus
releases from this band when you get them. Haha!! :D 

On 6/27/2015 at 11:09 PM, Glyn said:

The Song Remains the Same. A close second would be No Quarter, followed by Jennings Farm Blues.

The instrumental TSRTS is just incredible, possibly my favorite of all the companion tracks so far.

If we're talking strictly instrumentals, then I'd rank true instrumental tracks over backing tracks.

In that spirit, I agree with Glyn on TSRTS - it gets my vote for the best instrumental because it's been a kind of holy grail for so long, and it's not just a backing track that lacks vocals and some of the final overdubs. Rather, it is (AFAIK) unique among the companion tracks in that it's an instrumental version that ultimately had instrumental parts removed in the officially released version. So it's one of the rare tracks where we're hearing new instrumental overdubs we've never heard before. And it's just a great piece of music, in which this instrumental version is different, but IMHO fully the equal of the official vocal version.

After that, I'd say St. Tristan's Sword is fantastic, and Jennings Farm Blues is essential. And in 4th place I'd put 10 Ribs/Carrot/Pod/whatever - a beautiful track. (I like La La too, but I'd rank the other four above it.)

As far as the backing tracks, my favorites probably are Thank You, Bathroom Sound, Battle of Evermore, and Going to California.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2015 at 10:56 PM, middlezep said:

For me it's over the hills and far away, with jennings farm blues a close 2nd. What's your favorite?

The Song Remains the Same.  My appreciation for Pages wizardry improved if that was possible, after hearing that version.  It just so happens to be the one song that Plant wishes he could "have back" and do again. 

Also love Going to California as you can hear the guitars more clearly as they blend and dance without the vocals drawing your attention.

I can't say I dislike any of the instrumentals.

However, I have enjoyed the Song Remains The Same the most. IMO, I think it would have better as an instrumental  prelude to Rain Song. The sped up vocal is a bit nasal sounding. I often play the instrumental in place of the album track.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:18 PM, Canadianzepper said:

The Song Remains the Same.  My appreciation for Pages wizardry improved if that was possible, after hearing that version.  It just so happens to be the one song that Plant wishes he could "have back" and do again. 

This is interesting. What was Plant's regret ? The lyric or the vocal, or both ?

Personally, I feel the vocal leaves something to be desired. The sped up tape makes it sound a bit nasal.

Lyrically the song is very good but I never got how SRS and Rain Song "fit" together.

Jimmy's guitar part is incredible especially on the new albums it just rings so clearly but the Bass line is another wonder all its own . Easily some of JPJs best studio playing.

3 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

I can't say I dislike any of the instrumentals.

However, I have enjoyed the Song Remains The Same the most. IMO, I think it would have better as an instrumental  prelude to Rain Song. The sped up vocal is a bit nasal sounding. I often play the instrumental in place of the album track.

This is interesting. What was Plant's regret ? The lyric or the vocal, or both ?

Personally, I feel the vocal leaves something to be desired. The sped up tape makes it sound a bit nasal.

Lyrically the song is very good but I never got how SRS and Rain Song "fit" together.

Jimmy's guitar part is incredible especially on the new albums it just rings so clearly but the Bass line is another wonder all its own . Easily some of JPJs best studio playing.

He didn't go into details.  Two times I heard him speak about that song either offering it himself or asking which songs he wasn't happy with.  On one occasion he said "Song Remains the Same, I'd like to have that one back" and another time he suggests that he regretted that performance and felt it deserved better.  My assumption is that he is referring to the vocal delivery rather than the lyrics, but I can't say for sure.

Coincidentally, Page wrote it with the intention of it being an instrumental. 

Thank you. I was aware that Jimmy wrote SRS with the intention of it being an instrumental. They played it a lot in Japan and it seemed the band was unsure of a title for the song. To my knowledge it was never played live without a vocal....too bad, it would have been cool.

I do remember reading (Steven Davis' Book ?) that when Plant heard the instrumental he quickly got lyrics together for the track. Lyrically it's not Plants best effort but I wouldn't call them bad. If I had to guess it would probably be the sped up vocal.

Is anyone else able to shed light on this?

Archived