Reissues Promotions only by Jimmy Page

Blackdog-z

Can someone shed some light on the subject as to why it is only JP doing the promotion for the reissues. I understand that he has done all the work on them, but I would think that RP & JPJ would have gotten together at some point for a conference or radio talk show.

I have not found anything by the other members even talking about it. I saw the thread on Jason talking about the tension during the o2 rehearsals (if true or not), but got me thinking that it seems it's all JP.

I wonder if the others make any royalties off the music since I've heard Page owns the catalog. Plus, Plant is always busy with something new. He seems pretty content to leave Zeppelin in the past and continue with his current career.

You know, I really understand that, but still its what gave them the fame they have today. They should at least acknowledge it. I know Robert seems to want to distance himself from anything Zeppelin. What about JPJ? What would his reasons be?

IDK, maybe its just me. Different world today..... I'm old school.

with you all the way i have found the lack of comment by the other two

very puzzling and disappointing.Apart from anything else you only get one

perspective on the re releases. Different world indeed

Plant is too busy Tarmacing driveways and Jones's is parking the car.

Whilst the other two have their own careers Page doesn't have one and is only interested in his back catalogue, endlessly re issuing and re hashing old ground. I maybe the only one on this forum who has not purchased any of the new releases because they ARE NOT new releases, the live Paris show aside. As far as I was/am concerned, the Zenith of anything new Zeppelin was covered on the DVD. Can't get much better than The Albert Hall show IMO

You know, I really understand that, but still its what gave them the fame they have today. They should at least acknowledge it. I know Robert seems to want to distance himself from anything Zeppelin. What about JPJ? What would his reasons be?

IDK, maybe its just me. Different world today..... I'm old school.

Who knows with him. It seems like every time you turn around he's doing something else. He at least was on board with the post O2 reunion tour so I don't think he has the same attitude towards reliving the past as Plant.

Whilst the other two have their own careers Page doesn't have one and is only interested in his back catalogue, endlessly re issuing and re hashing old ground.

That's a shame too since everyone wants something new from him. Even if he just did a solo tour we'd be all for it. I honestly do believe he wants to do something as he has said he is going to so many times it just never seems to pan out.

I wonder if the others make any royalties off the music since I've heard Page owns the catalog. Plus, Plant is always busy with something new. He seems pretty content to leave Zeppelin in the past and continue with his current careerI

There is a lot I don't understand about how the music industry works, but my impression is that if a band member has songwriting credit for a song he is owed royalties unless he sold his rights to the song. In Bonham's case, his estate would receive the royalties. IIRC, Page mentioned during some of the promotion interviews that he contacted both Plant and Jones when he started this latest project. According to Page, Jones never got back to him while Plant told him he trusted his judgement.

Jimmy Page put together those remasters. He have all the knowledge. What could Robert or JPJ say about them other than what they already said?Do you want to hear the story about how ALS was made for the 1000th time? Would RP/JPJ be able to answer questions about how Jimmy did what he did? They were not there with Page so I doubt it. Jimmy Page is capable of doing interviews on his own.

Robert did an interview when III was re-issued in case you missed it.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/26/jimmy-page-robert-plant-how-we-made-led-zeppelin-iii

The whole 'Plant tries to distance himself from LZ as much as possibe'...
You must be reading what you want to read and hearing what you want to hear. When he is asked about LZ (other than reunion) he never avoids answering, he is talking in details and honestly. He performed more LZ songs than JP and JPJ put together. He searched for material for those remaster (lala and songs with JPJ singing)
Why is nobody saying that JPJ is distancing himself from LZ? He is writing an opera, toured with Supersilent (no LZ songs) he didn't cover any LZ songs with TCV either (even though Dave Grohl would probably love that). JPJ was even physically distancing himself from LZ in the 70s.
(For the record I'm not saying he is now.)

It's frustrating when most people agree that they made the right choice in 1980 and then bad-mouth Plant for sticking to that choice or when Jimmy Page is asked whether there could be LZ without John Bonham and he says it would be impossible, that he would like the other band members to do the same if he died, that LZ was an affair of the heart but at the same time says it's Plant's fault that there was no reunion. It's hypocrisy.

In that interview with Jason, the question was whether JPJ is a lovely man. Jason didn't confirm, he seemed uncomfortable for a second and then said about how great musician JPJ was but not how lovely man he was. He instead recalled the situation from o2 rehersals.

It's not JP and JPJ vs RP.
It's just three adult men with different visions of how they want to spend the rest of THEIR lives.

One press conference or radio show with all three members would probably generate a lot of unnecessary gossips and click-bait headlines. Nothing more.

That's a shame too since everyone wants something new from him. Even if he just did a solo tour we'd be all for it.

Not me, I much rather him continue to empty the Zeppelin vaults. I mean, has anything he's done post-Zep been that great? Death Wish soundtrack was ok, and Page/Plant and The Black Crowes stuff was good, but mostly comprised Zep-related material. I actually liked the idea of him and Robert doing some acoustic stuff, but apparently Jimmy wasn't interested in that.

...In that interview with Jason, the question was whether JPJ is a lovely man. Jason didn't confirm, he seemed uncomfortable for a second and then said about how great musician JPJ was but not how lovely man he was. He instead recalled the situation from o2 rehersals...

Maybe JPJ isn't a lovely man and Jason Bonham didn't want to just come out and say so.

I'm actually glad that Jimmy's done all the promotion for the reissues.

I'm interested in Jimmy's thoughts and memories about it all and we've had more interviews with him in the last year than in the last decade!

It's all good.

I think Gabrielle said many wise and truthful things. Still, most other groups that have done projects like the reissues have all

come out somewhat. I find this all a bit sad. There was some legitimate story that after 2008/9 and Page's rehearsals with Jones

and various musicians that there was some falling out between Page and Jones. And Robert saying, well, "I trust his judgement"

sounds much more like a disclaimer than a vote of confidence, although certainly Robert trusted Jimmy to not trash the Zep

"brand". And I believe Jimmy will come around with a album and tour, but don't hold your breath.

Why is nobody saying that JPJ is distancing himself from LZ? He is writing an opera, toured with Supersilent (no LZ songs) he didn't cover any LZ songs with TCV either (even though Dave Grohl would probably love that). JPJ was even physically distancing himself from LZ in the 70s.

(For the record I'm not saying he is now.)

Just to give a response to this, it's not that we are all missing the fact that JPJ is distancing himself from LZ, it's just what his past projects have been couldn't interpret any Zeppelin into them; unlike Plant. No way in hell could he play any Zeppelin in Supersilent, Josh Homme of TCV is not a Plant or Page stand-in, nor could he write an opera and throw some LZ in there. JPJ has been as open to different projects as Plant is, except what Plant does can include some Zeppelin, although not how most of us prefer it. When JPJ was doing his solo tours in the very early 2000's, he had a few Zeppelin songs in the mix of his solo material. Not to start a quibble with ya, I just wanted to share my opinion with what you said, I do see the "for the record" at the end. ;)

From what I've read, the three of the members are three ends of the spectrum for reuniting:

Page is a resounding yes (although he recently said he's given up trying, he still would want it.)

JPJ is neutral about it - he said he'd join Jimmy if he was asked

Plant is a resounding no - he's said it over and over that he's done with the past.

In November 2009 Ross Halfin published on his site: (and deleted the same day)
"I was also told by an Editor that Them Crooked Vultures will not shoot with me. 'Why?'
Apparently because John Paul Jones has a problem with me because of (and I quote)
'being Jimmy's photographer and friend'. How pathetic..."

Halfin is a hack (in my opinion) so I understand why John didn't want to work with him but he gave an explanation
that it's more because of his friendship with Jimmy so...

JPJ is the mysterious one. The more I read about him the less I understand.

Zeppelin-esque Opera would be the end of the world :D

In November 2009 Ross Halfin published on his site: (and deleted the same day)

"I was also told by an Editor that Them Crooked Vultures will not shoot with me. 'Why?'

Apparently because John Paul Jones has a problem with me because of (and I quote)

'being Jimmy's photographer and friend'. How pathetic..."

Halfin is a hack (in my opinion) so I understand why John didn't want to work with him but he gave an explanation

that it's more because of his friendship with Jimmy so...

JPJ is the mysterious one. The more I read about him the less I understand.

Zeppelin-esque Opera would be the end of the world :D

Per Ross Halfin himself (on CBS Sunday Morning show) , Robert Plant didn't want him to be the photographer of Page, Plant and Jones for the promotion of Celebration Day. He stated that Robert didn't like him very much. That makes two!

I remember Ross Halfin from his days as 'Gross Halfwit' in the early 80s.

Robert's antipathy goes back to those days, long before Halfin became Jimmy's mate.

Ross thinks Robert simply took an immediate personal dislike to him.

Thinking about it, Halfin always came over as a poisonous old toad even then, so Robert's judgement was probably sound!

Jimmy clearly rates and trusts Halfin as a photographer, though, so...awkward!

Archived