Best Heartbreaker Live

The Rover

What's Jimmy's best Heartbreaker live, regardless of the quality of the recording?

I guess my favorite would be from Ft. Worth, on August 22nd, 1970. There's no boot, but it is my favorite. It was the opening number, to my first Led Zeppelin concert, my first rock concert. 2nd best, and still very enjoyable, was the Heartbreaker from the Dallas March 3rd, 1975 show. Having Jimmy and the band come out and do that for an encore was pretty special.

I consider the Berkeley September 14th 1971 rendition of Heartbreaker as the penultimate one. For Jimmy, but also for JP...his furious 'up and down the fretboard ' is just mind-blowing.

A second one would be the Listen to this Eddie version from 77.

Heartbreaker really comes to life on stage, I think.

March 7th, 1970 ...

That is indeed a killer version.

Also, the Jan 9 1970 Royal Albert Hall performance of "Heartbreaker" only exists as a partial tape, the first 3-1/2 minutes, but based on that, it sounds like it was one of the best ever.

Blueberry hill...great young jimmy

BBC...great sound quality

Zurich...i had the original zurich from the 80s where it cut off with the fucked up kashmir and had read about the heartbreaker being so good...i finally bought it on, silver coated rails, which was like 3 songs from earls court, 3 from some other show and 3 from zurich 80, rock and roll, heartbreaker and whole lotta love. When your contemplating the price of a bootleg and see some combination cd like that, ya gotta fucking buy it. Well, the sound quality was nowhere near the original zurich and they cut the funk 80 jam completely from wll....so i was bummed out yet happy...and thats the bootleg world.

• 2 years later...

I agree with others here about 9/14/71 and 9/29/71. Exceptional playing from Jimmy. 3/16/73 needs to be mentioned as well. (Heavy. As. Shit.) My "sleeper" pick is the first night in Osaka, 9/28. Okay, the sound quality isn't as good as the next night, and Jimmy flubs a few notes when he does the hammer-ons, but listen especially to the part after the rest of the band joins back in. Jimmy seems to be improvising and experimenting a lot and absolutely kills it!

In addition to Long Beach 3-12-75 and Vienna 3-16-73 already mentioned, I'd add Detroit 7-12-73, NY 7-28-73 (probably 29th as well), and Hampton '71 (esp. because of the heaviness of the soundboard recording).  Despite the bad audience recording, I'd give consideration to Buffalo '73 also.  

• 4 weeks later...

Anytime Bonzo did the drum lead in (mostly 73) with the crowd anticipating what are they gonna play next and then BAM right into the riff of all riffs!!! FKN KILLER!!!! Unfortunately Jimmy usually had to put his guitar over his head and try to play the solo stuff and 2 out of 10 times he would nail it. . 

Archived