Top 5 live albums

renounce

Let's face it, you just can't beat a great live album. They usually capture the real essence of the band/artist much more successfully than their studio albums and are often a whole lot more exciting and intimate.

Like many, I'm always on the look out for killer live music I haven't heard. So I thought I'd post my top 5 in the hope that some of you kind folks may do the same.

Would appreciate a short comment on each album as to why you like it so much. Hopefully this will make for a good thread.

So...my top 5 (until even better things appear) are;

1) Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same. Why? To my ears, definitive versions of STH, Dazed, The Ocean, and '73 NQ. Sure there were better shows before and after, but I just love the overall feel of these '73 shows at MSG and would take this over How the West Was Won without hesitation. For a long time this was the only live Zep out there, so I was kind of raised on it.

2) Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Concerts. Highlights from many different shows. No slack or sloppy moments but absolutely jaw-dropping from start to finish. Always leaves me thinking 'Just how could anyone possibly play guitar that damned well!'

3) U2 - U22. A fanclub-only release of the best of their 2009-2011 360 tour. Astonishing sound quality and intensity. Well worth seeking out.

4) Neil Young - Unplugged. Perfectly performed and paced set of Neil's quieter side.

5) The Grateful Dead - Sunshine Daydream. Recorded at a festival in Oregon in '72 in 110 degree heat. The whole band just seem to meld into one mesmerizing and fascinating musical unit here. In the right mood, this is one beauty of a journey.

Thanks in advance for any of your recommendations.

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

The Who - Live at Leeds (deluxe edition)

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Excluding Led Zeppelin, my Top 5:

1. Allman Brothers Band "Live at the Fillmore East"...Musical perfection. Blistering guitar leads from Duane Allman and Dickey Betts and solid grooves throughout. If I have listened to it once, I have listened a thousand times and I never tire of it.

2. Duke Ellington "Complete Live at Newport 1956"...The concert that resuscitated Duke Ellington's fortunes after a post-WWII ebb. The two key tracks: "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue" where Paul Gonsalves caused pandemonium with a sax solo lasting 27 choruses...and "Jeep's Blues" featuring the slinky sax of Johnny Hodges.

3. Judy Garland "Live at Carnegie Hall"...One of the concerts I dearly wish I could have been alive to witness in person. I sit with a bottle of wine and listen to Judy stir my heart and bring tears to my eyes with achingly perfect renditions of "Do It Again", "The Man That Got Away", "A Foggy Day", and "Over the Rainbow". Equally stirring is the rabid response Judy rouses in the normally staid Carnegie Hall crowd.

4. Iron Maiden "Live After Death"...Unlike some other "live metal albums" such as Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous", Judas Priest "Unleashed in the East", and "Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo", there's nothing fake about Iron Maiden's live album. The fact that I attended two of the 1985 Long Beach Arena shows recorded for this album gives this album sentimental value. Scream for me Long Beach!!!

5. Neil Young "Live Rust"...A great mid-career summation of Neil Young's catalogue up to that point(1978). Perfect setlist balanced between acoustic and electric Neil, performed with passion by Neil and his best backing band Crazy Horse in their prime. Another live album with sentimental value because I saw Neil on this tour, although not this particular concert.

10 Honorable Mentions:

AC/DC "If You Want Blood, You've Got It"; James Brown "Love Power Peace: Live at the Olympia 1971"; Benny Goodman "Live at Carnegie Hall 1938"; Jimi Hendrix "In the West"; Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus"; Otis Redding "Live at Monterey Pop"; Robin Trower "Live"; UFO "Strangers in the Night"; The Who "Live at Leeds"; Yes "Yessongs"

I know this subject was already vastly covered in another thread, probably long buried.

Since I'm a big Hot Tuna fan, I will throw in their first acoustic album, simply titled "Hot Tuna" - and "Double Dose", which is both acoustic and electric.

Bands like the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers, there are so many to choose from - and other than song selection, are all very good.

Definitely agree with "Live at Leeds" and "Yessongs".

Not sure why "Song Remains the Same" was the only live Zep available for so long? Even though I've had it and enjoyed it since it came out, there could have been better song selections. Just my opinion, though.

Excluding Led Zeppelin, my Top 5:

1. Allman Brothers Band "Live at the Fillmore East"...Musical perfection. Blistering guitar leads from Duane Allman and Dickey Betts and solid grooves throughout. If I have listened to it once, I have listened a thousand times and I never tire of it.

2. Duke Ellington "Complete Live at Newport 1956"...The concert that resuscitated Duke Ellington's fortunes after a post-WWII ebb. The two key tracks: "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue" where Paul Gonsalves caused pandemonium with a sax solo lasting 27 choruses...and "Jeep's Blues" featuring the slinky sax of Johnny Hodges.

3. Judy Garland "Live at Carnegie Hall"...One of the concerts I dearly wish I could have been alive to witness in person. I sit with a bottle of wine and listen to Judy stir my heart and bring tears to my eyes with achingly perfect renditions of "Do It Again", "The Man That Got Away", "A Foggy Day", and "Over the Rainbow". Equally stirring is the rabid response Judy rouses in the normally staid Carnegie Hall crowd.

4. Iron Maiden "Live After Death"...Unlike some other "live metal albums" such as Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous", Judas Priest "Unleashed in the East", and "Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo", there's nothing fake about Iron Maiden's live album. The fact that I attended two of the 1985 Long Beach Arena shows recorded for this album gives this album sentimental value. Scream for me Long Beach!!!

5. Neil Young "Live Rust"...A great mid-career summation of Neil Young's catalogue up to that point(1978). Perfect setlist balanced between acoustic and electric Neil, performed with passion by Neil and his best backing band Crazy Horse in their prime. Another live album with sentimental value because I saw Neil on this tour, although not this particular concert.

10 Honorable Mentions:

AC/DC "If You Want Blood, You've Got It"; James Brown "Love Power Peace: Live at the Olympia 1971"; Benny Goodman "Live at Carnegie Hall 1938"; Jimi Hendrix "In the West"; Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus"; Otis Redding "Live at Monterey Pop"; Robin Trower "Live"; UFO "Strangers in the Night"; The Who "Live at Leeds"; Yes "Yessongs"

Many thanks for this list and your comments Strider. A lot that I'm familiar with here, but plenty that I'm not. Intrigued about the Judy Garland album, particularly amongst a rock-orientated list. Great live music is just great live music no matter what genre it's labelled as eh. Will definitely check this and others on your list out.

I saw Maiden in the mid-80's too and it still ranks as one of my most memorable shows; they were absolutely on fire and totally feral. 'Doctor, Long Beach f***ed up my ears man!' Priceless.

You reminded me of good old 'If You Want Blood' which was a big facvourite in my teens but haven't heard for literally decades. As luck would have it the whole AC/DC catalogue has just appeared on Spotify, and even at 160kbps this sounds fresher than ever right now.

Made in Japan-Purple,All the Worlds a Stage -Rush,Live at Leeds-Who,At the Rainbow-Focus,SpaceRitual-Hawkwind.Special mention-Slade Alive,my first album that I bought and introduced me to all things noisy.

Hi renounce!

Just a few of my picks aside from the ones that already been mentioned.

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Traffic - On The Road

The Band - The Last Waltz

CSNY - 4 Way Street

I am sure I can think of more..and good for you for wanting to discover new music.

As of right this minute...rock only and excluding Led Zeppelin..

Deep Purple -Made in Japan

Robin Trower - Live

Scorpions -Tokyo Tapes

UFO - Strangers In The Night

Mothers - Roxy and Elsewhere

Honorable mention

Rainbow - Onstage

Hi renounce!

Just a few of my picks aside from the ones that already been mentioned.

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Traffic - On The Road

The Band - The Last Waltz

CSNY - 4 Way Street

I am sure I can think of more..and good for you for wanting to discover new music.

Thank you Deborah J for your list. Some nice picks here. Agreed CSNY 4 Way St is a standout, and way better than CSNY 1974 for my money. Never heard any live Traffic so will put it on my 'to listen' list.

Good thread! I'm gonna exclude Zeppelin and have my top 5 favorites (in no particular order):

1. Tame Impala - Live Versions. The songs chosen for the Record Store Day vinyl release were picked because of their differences with their counterpart studio version. This shows how the band can be as spectacular live as they are in the studio. The songs differ from the studio versions, but in the best way possible. The album includes some great flexibility from the band, and even some improvs in-between. Never tire of this masterpiece.

2. Queens of the Stone Age - Over the Years and Through the Woods. The only official live album by QotSA. They just finished their new lineup after the release of 2005's Lullabies to Paralyze, and this new lineup has a very eerie vibe. Released on both a CD and DVD, the live album really shows me how tight this lineup of the band was 10 years ago. Josh Homme sounds and plays stellar. The concert released is warts and all, although there weren't many warts during the shows. Lots of great songs and an amazing setlist. Definitely check out.

3. Pink Floyd - PULSE. One of the greatest live DVDs of all time! David, Rick, and Nick really shine on this release. First set is Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason material, while disc 2 is Dark Side & and ton of cool encores. Although Roger isn't there, they more than make up for his absence. Really awesome versions of "Run Like Hell," High Hopes," "Shine On," and a lot more. The visuals for the Division Bell tour were insane. Earls Court is decked out with lights and visuals and props that make watching it really an experience.

4. The Raconteurs - Live at Montreux. Really awesome band, and a really awesome live album. Killer rendition of "Blue Veins," and "Level." The band sounds really great and the atmosphere is awesome. I don't have much to say for this one but check it out!!

5. Blues Pills - Blues Pills Live. A not-so well known band from Sweden, they're very San Francisco psychedelic rock with a girl on lead vocals. She's got PIPES and this live album totally shows it. They've only got one studio album that came out last July, but this live album takes up a solid hour. Really underrated and they need to be recognized more! Absolutely killer album and I highly recommend this and their studio album!

It really kills me that some of my favorite bands don't have official live albums out, so I'm going to give a shoutout to my favorite bands that don't have a live album in their catalog. Also throwing in some honorable mentions and ideas for live albums from bands:

Bands without live albums:

1. Reignwolf

2. Them Crooked Vultures

3. The Tea Party (from the early 90's)

4. The Beatles (from 1966)

Honorable Mentions:

5. Pink Floyd - BBC Rock Hour 1970 & BBC Sessions 1974

6. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

7. The Who - Live songs off of the Deluxe Edition of Who's Next

8. David Gilmour - Live in Gdánsk

9. The Who - Live at Leeds

My favorite Zep live album bar none is Live in Osaka 1971.

Excluding that one, my top 5 is

Miles Davis Quintet, Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965

Little Feat, Electrif Lycanthrope WLIR Hempstead 1974

Rolling Stones, Brussels Affair 73

The Who, Live at Leeds 1970

Talking Heads, Stop making Sense

The Song Remains The Same is a soundtrack to the movie, so i'll skip that. My top 5's are:

Deep Purple: Made in Japan

The first Purple album I ever heard in @ 74. It still gets air time and is an absolute classic. Brilliantly produced and mixed it is the benchmark of live albums. Never have a band sounded so good

The Allman Brothers: Live At The Fillmore East

Oh to be in on the west coast in the early 70's. Again loads of memories for me as it was the summer and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" blasts out whilst we roll fat cones on the lawn

Little Feat: Waiting For Columbus

The groove that the Feat get into is never bettered on this double platter of loveliness. From the Opener of "Fat Man in The Bathtub" we travel along a journey of slick playing and the rhythm section of Richie Hayward/Kenny Gradney is pure heaven.

Gong: Live etc

A tough choice because I was going to go for Steve Hillages "Live Herald". This double album of avant garde jazz/rock fusion is a difficult listen at times but if you get past Daevid Allen's weirdness there are some wonderful free form moments. Hillage's guitaring is tremendous as is the whole band

AC/DC: If You Want Blood....

No nonsense pure hard rock from our antipodean cousins. Recorded in Glasgow in 1978 this single disc is a no brainer when it comes to annoying your neighbours. Played loud, it is the soundtrack to many a long hairs journey through the late 70's. Are there still any virgins in Glasgow?

Excluding Led Zeppelin AND this would be my top 5 for this week:

- The Tea Party Live In Australia 2012: The Tea Party

- Slade Alive 1972: Slade

- Delicate Sound of Thunder 1988: Pink Floyd

- 30th Anniversary Edition Mott The Hoople Live 2004: Mott The Hoople

- Live in Japan 1992: George Harrison

In no particular order these are a few of my many favourite live vinyl albums.

The Road Goes Ever On - Mountain Live

Leslie West a very underrated guitarist.

Felix Pappalardi produced Cream's Disraeli Gears and Hot Tuna's Double Dose and played bass.

Wheels On Fire - Live Cream

Pappalardi also produced the studio album of the same name.

Cream at their prime.

One For The Road - Lyrnyrd Skynyrd.

Superb versions of all their best songs.

Weld - Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

Enough said.

The Mothers Live at The Filmore with Flo and Eddie.

Classic.

David Bowie Live.

The Thin White Duke had some killer versions on this with Sweet Thing/Candidate a stand out.

Honourable mentions,

Rock n Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live.

I saw this line up in the '70's.

Space Ritual - Hawkwind.

Free Live with Andy Frazer playing the best bass guitar solo ever on Mr Big.

Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs Live at Sunbury.

Made In Japan - Deep Purple

Black Sabbath Live at The Olympique.

My favorite Zep live album bar none is Live in Osaka 1971.

Excluding that one, my top 5 is

Miles Davis Quintet, Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965

Little Feat, Electrif Lycanthrope WLIR Hempstead 1974

Rolling Stones, Brussels Affair 73

The Who, Live at Leeds 1970

Talking Heads, Stop making Sense

-Osaka 71 is like a movie for me. All the on stage banter; "Where's Bonzo...f**k you, mate"" Jimmy can't go over there because there is big hole",...."Me limbs are like jelly"... "You're too slow, too fast a sleep". And then Bonzo directing the band throughout the medley "Fortune Teller". I know this recording for forty years and it never fails to move me.

-Miles is the same story. Recorded in a Chicago club and you can hear the cash register...and that loudmouth in the audience commenting on Ron Carter's basslines, "Yeah Miles"..."

-the 74 Little Feat set blows away Columbus. And Yep, it's a show before a small selected audience (15 or maybe 20 people?). Exceptional playing by Lowell and his band. Highly recommended.

-The Brussels Affair show was high on the list to be released officially if it wasn't for contractual hassles with the Stones' previous company DECCA. Now it's liberated as an official download. Last month I treated myself with the silver (Japan only) release together with Marquee 71. Superb playing and a perfect set.

-Live at Leeds in it's original 6 song format was already a ball crusher: hard rocking, straight ahead....and what a cool album cover. I didn't mind the removing of the crackles in the early nineties though, nor the inclusion of several extra tracks.

-Stop making Sense generally gets lesser reviews than "the Name of this band is TH", but I think it just flows and flows. Crosseyed and painless RULES

So I hope this will wet your appetite!

Judas Preist - Unleashed in the East (Japanese version with 5 extra tracks)

Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won

Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

Kiss - Alive

Three way tie: Queen - Live Killers

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same

-Osaka 71 is like a movie for me. All the on stage banter; "Where's Bonzo...f**k you, mate"" Jimmy can't go over there because there is big hole",...."Me limbs are like jelly"... "You're too slow, too fast a sleep". And then Bonzo directing the band throughout the medley "Fortune Teller". I know this recording for forty years and it never fails to move me.

-Miles is the same story. Recorded in a Chicago club and you can hear the cash register...and that loudmouth in the audience commenting on Ron Carter's basslines, "Yeah Miles"..."

-the 74 Little Feat set blows away Columbus. And Yep, it's a show before a small selected audience (15 or maybe 20 people?). Exceptional playing by Lowell and his band. Highly recommended.

-The Brussels Affair show was high on the list to be released officially if it wasn't for contractual hassles with the Stones' previous company DECCA. Now it's liberated as an official download. Last month I treated myself with the silver (Japan only) release together with Marquee 71. Superb playing and a perfect set.

-Live at Leeds in it's original 6 song format was already a ball crusher: hard rocking, straight ahead....and what a cool album cover. I didn't mind the removing of the crackles in the early nineties though, nor the inclusion of several extra tracks.

-Stop making Sense generally gets lesser reviews than "the Name of this band is TH", but I think it just flows and flows. Crosseyed and painless RULES

So I hope this will wet your appetite!

Ha I see you reviewed it on Amazon man !! This is also available in all it's wonderfulness on Spotify as "Live at Ultrasonic Studios 19 September 1974" Set list is very similar to Columbus and "The Fan" is available on Hoy Hoy. In fact there are a few tracks from this set on Hoy Hoy. Anyway great choice as Little Feat are one of my all time favourites

Archived