Top 5 live albums

renounce

Just a few more worth getting and I will keep looking through my collection to see if I can come up with more. If you can find them on vinyl I highly recommend, but most can be found on CD as well:-)

James Brown - Live at The Apollo (1963)

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison

The Guess Who - Live at The Paramount

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Live Alive

Bob Marley and The Wailers - Babylon By Bus

Credence Clearwater Revival - Live in Europe

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Live Bullet and also Nine Tonight

The Band - Rock of Ages

Elvis - ANYTHING LIVE:-)

:peace:

Good thread! I'm gonna exclude Zeppelin and have my top 5 favorites (in no particular order):

1. Tame Impala - Live Versions. The songs chosen for the Record Store Day vinyl release were picked because of their differences with their counterpart studio version. This shows how the band can be as spectacular live as they are in the studio. The songs differ from the studio versions, but in the best way possible. The album includes some great flexibility from the band, and even some improvs in-between. Never tire of this masterpiece.

2. Queens of the Stone Age - Over the Years and Through the Woods. The only official live album by QotSA. They just finished their new lineup after the release of 2005's Lullabies to Paralyze, and this new lineup has a very eerie vibe. Released on both a CD and DVD, the live album really shows me how tight this lineup of the band was 10 years ago. Josh Homme sounds and plays stellar. The concert released is warts and all, although there weren't many warts during the shows. Lots of great songs and an amazing setlist. Definitely check out.

3. Pink Floyd - PULSE. One of the greatest live DVDs of all time! David, Rick, and Nick really shine on this release. First set is Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason material, while disc 2 is Dark Side & and ton of cool encores. Although Roger isn't there, they more than make up for his absence. Really awesome versions of "Run Like Hell," High Hopes," "Shine On," and a lot more. The visuals for the Division Bell tour were insane. Earls Court is decked out with lights and visuals and props that make watching it really an experience.

4. The Raconteurs - Live at Montreux. Really awesome band, and a really awesome live album. Killer rendition of "Blue Veins," and "Level." The band sounds really great and the atmosphere is awesome. I don't have much to say for this one but check it out!!

5. Blues Pills - Blues Pills Live. A not-so well known band from Sweden, they're very San Francisco psychedelic rock with a girl on lead vocals. She's got PIPES and this live album totally shows it. They've only got one studio album that came out last July, but this live album takes up a solid hour. Really underrated and they need to be recognized more! Absolutely killer album and I highly recommend this and their studio album!

It really kills me that some of my favorite bands don't have official live albums out, so I'm going to give a shoutout to my favorite bands that don't have a live album in their catalog. Also throwing in some honorable mentions and ideas for live albums from bands:

Bands without live albums:

1. Reignwolf

2. Them Crooked Vultures

3. The Tea Party (from the early 90's)

4. The Beatles (from 1966)

Honorable Mentions:

5. Pink Floyd - BBC Rock Hour 1970 & BBC Sessions 1974

6. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

7. The Who - Live songs off of the Deluxe Edition of Who's Next

8. David Gilmour - Live in Gdánsk

9. The Who - Live at Leeds

Thanks a bunch for these great lists Icondo 123. In my ignorance I'd never even heard of Tame Impala before, but have their 'Live Versions' playing on Spotify right now and it's blowing me away. So refreshingly different. No wonder all their upcoming west coast shows are already sold out.

Thanks a bunch for these great lists Icondo 123. In my ignorance I'd never even heard of Tame Impala before, but have their 'Live Versions' playing on Spotify right now and it's blowing me away. So refreshingly different. No wonder all their upcoming west coast shows are already sold out.

Oh man, you're going to love them! There's really nothing like these guys out there and it's truly a spectacle watching them live (of which I had the honor to experience on June 4th!) Let me know whatcha think of their studio stuff!!

Oh man, you're going to love them! There's really nothing like these guys out there and it's truly a spectacle watching them live (of which I had the honor to experience on June 4th!) Let me know whatcha think of their studio stuff!!

Tame Impala as far as I'm aware is a him not a them.

Excluding Led Zeppelin AND this would be my top 5 for this week:

- The Tea Party Live In Australia 2012: The Tea Party

- Slade Alive 1972: Slade

- Delicate Sound of Thunder 1988: Pink Floyd

- 30th Anniversary Edition Mott The Hoople Live 2004: Mott The Hoople

- Live in Japan 1992: George Harrison

Last night and this morning it changed:

Running Back Thru Canada 2000: The Guess Who

The Road Goes Ever On 1974: Mountain

Live Baby Live 1991: Inxs

4 Nights At the Palace Royal 1999: Sloan

At the Hollywood Bowl 1977: The Beatles

Tame Impala as far as I'm aware is a him not a them.

Correct! Tame Impala is Kevin Parker's solo project, as he plays every instrument on all of the three albums. Kevin does have a live band that tours with him, and I was referring to his live band as doing a great job interpreting Kevin's studio work into a dynamic live performance. I shoulda clarified a bit, but thanks for reminding me about that!

:blink:

That may have been when the LP was released. ('77) In fact, that one makes my list, too - Beatles live at the Hollywood Bowl. I love that LP, and I don't think it's ever been released on CD, other than some knock-off imports

Other four: Queen-Live at the Rainbow, Bob Marley Live!, Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group-LIve, Rolling Stones 'Stripped'

HTWWW makes my top 5. Considering how much TSRTS influenced my over-all view of the band in my youth, I've often thought how different that would have been if this performance took it's place. What's amazing is that HTWWW flew under the radar of older fans. When I play it for those who have lost track of such things, they are amazed. Usually I get, "When the hell did this come out ?"

"Rust Never Sleeps". Saw the show, and it's in my top 5, so this should be too.

J Geils "Full House". I don't think any album captured the energy of a band's live effort better than this one. The transition from "Whammer Jammer" to "Hard Drivin' Man" can stlll raise the hairs on my neck. They struggled in the studio, but never on stage. Saw them too many times to count. Peter Wolf is still one of the most under rated personalities of rock. In his youth, not even Jagger could touch him.

Live Bullet....Totally prejudiced opinion here. Lived it, and probably makes every Detroiter's list. "You just can't have it all folks. We're all beautiful losers in a way.

"Get Your Ya Yas Out". Still listening for 45+ years. Always liked "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Oh Carol". Still the definitive live Stones album.

^ It's odd that Neil Young had influence and collaboration with Devo. Mark Mothersbaugh does some really strange stuff, and at times does not seem to have an ounce of instrumental talent. I do like some of Devo's output, such as "Whip It" - but has anyone ever seen when Devo and Neil did "Hey. Hey, Out of the Blue" together?

Thanks a lot everyone for your lists and responses. This thread has done exactly what I'd hoped; introduce me and others to a whole load of great live stuff I'd never heard of or ignored, and unearthed a few real gems. Got enough here to keep my ears busy for some time but keep 'em coming if you can.

^ It's odd that Neil Young had influence and collaboration with Devo. Mark Mothersbaugh does some really strange stuff, and at times does not seem to have an ounce of instrumental talent. I do like some of Devo's output, such as "Whip It" - but has anyone ever seen when Devo and Neil did "Hey. Hey, Out of the Blue" together?

Never saw them together, but I did see Neil do the Devo voice routine a couple times. One was The Trans Tour, the other The Garage Tour...82 & 86 I believe. He was doing "Sample and Hold" with the devo glasses as mechanical roaches ran around the stage floor. Quite a trip.

You mean "Rust Never Sleeps" or "Live Rust"? One has that killer version of "Cortez the Killer"...the other doesn't.

Live Rust of course...my mistake. With Decade, Comes a Time, and both of the above, Neil had some heavy and quality exposure during my late teens. Still own them all. The second coming, and it was much appreciated. :)

Not that odd if you listen to Trans, Landing On Water, and consider NY changes direction with every album and every tour.

From the timeless epic Human Highway -

Jimi Hendrix Jimi Plays Monterey

Neil Young Time Fades Away

Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous

UFO Strangers In The Night

Motorhead Golden Years Live EP

or

The Doors Alive She Cried

Bob Dylan Hard Rain

Iggy & The Stooges Metallic KO

Rush Exit...Stage Left

Nirvana MTV Unplugged

or

Grateful Dead Live/Dead

Grateful Dead Europe '72

Blue Oyster Cult On Your Feet Or On Your Knees

Kinks One For The Road

Iron Maiden Maiden Japan

or

Santana Lotus

Frank Zappa/The Mothers/Captain Beefheart Bongo Fury

Bruce Springsteen Live 1975-85

Judas Priest Unleashed In The East

The Misfits Evillive

or

Free Live!

KISS Alive!

Black Sabbath Live Evil

Ozzy Osbourne & Randy Rhoads Tribute

Alice In Chains MTV Unplugged

or ...

Neil Young always follows the road less travelled. Taken in the context of what he was doing at that time, it made perfect sense to hook up with Devo.

Devo is far far more than "Whip It". If that's all you really know about Mark Mothersbaugh, then you are not really qualified to judge his instrumental talent or lack thereof. Besides his work with Devo and his visual art, the man has composed the scores of more films, tv shows, and video games than I can count. You don't get that job without having instrumental talent. I suggest you look into his oeuvre a little more carefully.

One of the local theatres here had Shakey Film Fest recently, where they showed films such as "Journey Into the Past", "Rust Never Sleeps", and the pièce de résistance, "Human Highway"!!! It was a total gas...Dennis Hopper, Russ Tamblyn, Laraine Newman, Dean Stockwell join Neil & Devo for one of those insane cultural artifacts that never get appreciated in their own time. Pray that your local bijou schedules a midnight screening soon!

Good thread! I'm gonna exclude Zeppelin and have my top 5 favorites (in no particular order):

1. Tame Impala - Live Versions. The songs chosen for the Record Store Day vinyl release were picked because of their differences with their counterpart studio version. This shows how the band can be as spectacular live as they are in the studio. The songs differ from the studio versions, but in the best way possible. The album includes some great flexibility from the band, and even some improvs in-between. Never tire of this masterpiece.

2. Queens of the Stone Age - Over the Years and Through the Woods. The only official live album by QotSA. They just finished their new lineup after the release of 2005's Lullabies to Paralyze, and this new lineup has a very eerie vibe. Released on both a CD and DVD, the live album really shows me how tight this lineup of the band was 10 years ago. Josh Homme sounds and plays stellar. The concert released is warts and all, although there weren't many warts during the shows. Lots of great songs and an amazing setlist. Definitely check out.

3. Pink Floyd - PULSE. One of the greatest live DVDs of all time! David, Rick, and Nick really shine on this release. First set is Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason material, while disc 2 is Dark Side & and ton of cool encores. Although Roger isn't there, they more than make up for his absence. Really awesome versions of "Run Like Hell," High Hopes," "Shine On," and a lot more. The visuals for the Division Bell tour were insane. Earls Court is decked out with lights and visuals and props that make watching it really an experience.

4. The Raconteurs - Live at Montreux. Really awesome band, and a really awesome live album. Killer rendition of "Blue Veins," and "Level." The band sounds really great and the atmosphere is awesome. I don't have much to say for this one but check it out!!

5. Blues Pills - Blues Pills Live. A not-so well known band from Sweden, they're very San Francisco psychedelic rock with a girl on lead vocals. She's got PIPES and this live album totally shows it. They've only got one studio album that came out last July, but this live album takes up a solid hour. Really underrated and they need to be recognized more! Absolutely killer album and I highly recommend this and their studio album!

It really kills me that some of my favorite bands don't have official live albums out, so I'm going to give a shoutout to my favorite bands that don't have a live album in their catalog. Also throwing in some honorable mentions and ideas for live albums from bands:

Bands without live albums:

1. Reignwolf

2. Them Crooked Vultures

3. The Tea Party (from the early 90's)

4. The Beatles (from 1966)

Honorable Mentions:

5. Pink Floyd - BBC Rock Hour 1970 & BBC Sessions 1974

6. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

7. The Who - Live songs off of the Deluxe Edition of Who's Next

8. David Gilmour - Live in Gdánsk

9. The Who - Live at Leeds

Checked out Blues Pills too. Man, these guy's are the real thing! Totally agree with you that they are very underrated. Some decent full shows on You Tube too. Have ordered the live cd. Let's hope they tour the States before too long.

The Raconteurs and Queens albums are proving more difficult to track down to check out.

Grateful for your recommendations. You have excellent taste (ie. similar to mine!)

Checked out Blues Pills too. Man, these guy's are the real thing! Totally agree with you that they are very underrated. Some decent full shows on You Tube too. Have ordered the live cd. Let's hope they tour the States before too long.

The Raconteurs and Queens albums are proving more difficult to track down to check out.

Grateful for your recommendations. You have excellent taste (ie. similar to mine!)

Awesome! Blues Pills really kicks some ass, she's really got some pipes! I hope they get over here soon, I believe they are currently touring the UK.

Queens has been out of print for 10 years, but If you're looking for physical copies of the CDs, amazon should have both. If not, YouTube is always a great start to feel things out. Queens gets pretty dark if you've never listened to them before, and the Raconteurs gets Jack White heavy! Hope you enjoy those as well!

Hi renounce!

I can usually find what I am looking for at: http://www.cduniverse.com/

They have just about every format also:-) :stereo:

Thank you Deborah J! Looks like a useful site. Tend to use Spotify these days, worth sacrificing some sound quality for the convenience and range, not to mention to save the $$s, but will keep this site in mind for the stuff you just have to own.

Awesome! Blues Pills really kicks some ass, she's really got some pipes! I hope they get over here soon, I believe they are currently touring the UK.

Queens has been out of print for 10 years, but If you're looking for physical copies of the CDs, amazon should have both. If not, YouTube is always a great start to feel things out. Queens gets pretty dark if you've never listened to them before, and the Raconteurs gets Jack White heavy! Hope you enjoy those as well!

Thanks for posting these. Will definitely check them out. You mentioned the absence of a Them Crooked Vultures live album. There is an excellent FM broadcast from Sydney available to download on the net if you know where to look. PM me if you can't find it.

Thanks for posting these. Will definitely check them out. You mentioned the absence of a Them Crooked Vultures live album. There is an excellent FM broadcast from Sydney available to download on the net if you know where to look. PM me if you can't find it.

For sure! I've got that release as well as the DVD of their show from the Palladium in Koln. Both killer live albums. If you're into TCV then there's a good chance you'll like some of the newer stuff from Queens, specifically ...Like Clockwork, as Josh Homme is in both groups. Grohl also plays drums on Clockwork.

Archived