Your parents' music?

jimmie ray

What music did your parents enjoy listening to? Did you enjoy it then, or now? Did it influence your tastes?

My parents grew up in a time where swing bands were popular, but it seemed they liked to play old time country and quirky music:

Eddie Arnold

Johnny Cash

Roy Clark

Vaughn Monroe

Sons of the Pioneers

Jimmie Rodgers

Roger Miller

Spike Jones

Hey Jimmy,

I always loved music, for as long as I can remember I soaked everything in. My father loved swing and 50's rock, then got into jazz. My mom was into country, liked the 60's era the most in country. I used to enjoy Sunday mornings with my dad when on WGN Chicago all the old B&W movies were on, the Crosby & Hope road movies, Laurel & Hardy, even the silent movies. This exposed me to classical, jazz, swing, opera, and my favorite the Andrew Sisters. Listening to the music of my parents, their family and peers, the elderly, and of course immigrants from exotic India & Ireland gave me one hell of a musical education.

The other day I was taking my mom to dinner and on my iPod some Jimmy Dorsey came on, my mom looked at me and said the last time she heard that song was when she was 15. Could not believe I liked that music being as old as it was. I told her if she wanted to hear old I would put on Ordo Virtutum.

I feel very lucky and blessed to love and appreciate so many diverse forms of music from all periods. Most people are very provincial in their views overall but especially in regard to music. I thank my upbringing in such a ethnically diverse family, Slovenians on one side, Polish and Italian on the other, and four generations with my parents generation being the first born in America.

For some reason I feel like some La Boheme, Maria Callas as diva, and a jockey of bourbon.

My parents have never been particularly huge music lovers, but they did really like (and still really like) Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. Individually, my father loves Richard Wagner and my mother loves Englebert Humperdinck and -- to a certain extent -- Johnny Mathis. (To this day I share a deep appreciation/love for each of the above-mentioned artists).

Nice topic!

My parents were a lot cooler about music than I ever realized when I was younger. First of all , they'd let me and all of my friends blast them out of the house all of the time jamming in the basement. Never complained.

My Father used to drive me crazy because he would play all of this stale WJIB, WSSH awful elevator music in the car. Later, I find out he loved all of this great Big Band, Swing and Dixieland music. I had no idea. I wish I was exposed to more of THAT when I as a kid. But, that's Ok. He was always supportive, always at my gigs and had a blast.

My Mother was into Bobby Darin, Soundtracks; some great, West Side Story and some awful. She loved, (still does, she's alive and well).. The Mamas and Papas, Neil Diamond, Bill Withers, Jim Croce, Sonny and Cher and Top 40 of the day.

My parents are, lucky for me, big music lovers.

As a child I remember both my parent singing in the church choir.

My mom later sang in a choir called The young chapel singers. They became a big thing when they worked with composer Tom Parker (known for The New London Chorale, making classical music more popular with his Young Mozart and Young Verdi and such projects). My mom had already left the choir when they went on tour with Tom Parker.

My parents have a very broad taste in music, both classical and popular music.

My mom loves classical music, but she also likes rock a lot, when she was young she used to love bands like The Who, The Kinks and later also Queen.

She also loves SImon and Garfunkel and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

Appart from classical music, my dad is a huge Beatles fan.

Too bad that unlike my parents, I'm not quite the singer. However, playing an instrument like the guitar will also do just fine.....

Glad you all found this a nice topic. I feel bad for so many families these days, where only the TV blares mindless reality shows. Fortunately, I grew up in household where only the late news or Sunday night Disney was put on. Otherwise, the turntable was usually stacked with old records, or my dad would be playing harmonica out on the patio.

My father played classical records on the stereo, so my first favorite artist was Mendelssohn.

My mother liked folk and some folk rock, especially Judy Collins. I went to an Arlo Guthrie concert and some bluegrass concerts with my parents as a teen.

I believe my mother was a closet rock and roll fan; she grew up in the 50s with Bill Haley and the Comets etc. For some reason my father hates rock music, and my mother was always the dutiful obedient housewife who believed she had to follow the man's lead...it's sad.

My grandmother was a stage actress/singer so I also listened to a lot of show tunes growing up.

^ Don't feel sad, Scarlet. I wasn't allowed to go to any Rock concerts, until I was over 18. Obviously, I missed out on a lot of great groups in their heyday. My dad used to sing some Elvis tunes, but my mom still thinks the Beatles stole all their music from classical artists. I have no bad feelings about any of that - only the good memories.

nice topic, my father is just like me, Rock and Blues ! He love the Rolling Stones, Bruce springsteen, Led Zeppelin. He shook the hand of Bob Dylan and BB king, how awesome is that ! we went to one of the last Johnny Winter performance together, it was my first concert.

My mother is way more into french music (I'm from France), she like music of artist like Gainsbourg, Balavoine, Bardot, Goldman ...

My mom liked country classic and 90s me and my sis always remark that we were country when country wasnt cool lol but at the same time mom balanced that with a good dose of classic r&b and soul music... My dad loved rock and roll but in the 80s when he met my mom it was country music so for a lot of my youth it was sappy 90s country and my dad would listen to a little golden oldies... Then one day my dad in a magical moment turned on classic rock and the dial has been there ever since... He taught me about great music Steppenwolf, The Guess Who, and my moms fav (sarcasm) Jethro Tull and to this day i could not tell u what made this change happen... When my dad introduced me to Get The Led Out at 8pm on Arkansas' Magic 105 (gone now clearchannel gobbled it up and ironically turned it into a classic country station lol) it was a bond that will never be broken...

Russian folk, academic music, old school Russian pop.
British rock is not welcomed in my family. If you are raised in a half-cultured family where mother is a grammarian with a high level of morality and full of patriotism...classic british rock is almost forbidden.
My mother knew only two rock groups: Beatles and Rolling Stones. But she liked Ian Gillan's opinion about illegal immigration and multi-kulti policy, herewith she heard DP only once...

NO Rock'n'Roll in my house -- from my parent's records.

They liked Big Band music, some Al Hirt, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, and crooners like Andy Williams.

There was a "Beautiful Music" station in the area, and that's what they listened to in the car.

My mother loathed Elvis Presley. She did all she could to keep him out of the house. But, there was no way for my parents to keep rock'n'roll out of the house, with the arrival of The Fab Four, The Beatles. My mother, after talking with her "PTA" friends, tried to kindly lecture me on how "The Beatles were just a fad, and that I shouldn;'t get that worked up about it". But I knew different. I knew that The Beatles were going to be the biggest splash in popular music that there ever was ! Catching and riding The Beatles invasion, was like a surfer, catching and riding a once in a century massive super-wave, that eclipsed Elvis and all that had come before, including Frank Sinatra...

• 3 months later...

My mom's favorites are Zeppelin and The Beatles, my dad's is the Stones. Fair to say I take more after my mom in the music department. Funnily enough, around age 15-16 when I started getting into classic rock, she started to get into the alternative rock stuff that I grew up on! (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, etc.)

My mom is a huge fan of 70's pop and disco bands such as ABBA and the Bee Gees. She also loves calypso music (one of her favourite singers being Harry Belafonte). She is also a massive fan of 60's Garage Rock, Garage Surf and Garage Punk! I owe her (big time!) for introducing me to bands like 'The Ventures', 'Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet', 'The Treytones', as well as for introducing me to so many brilliant Garage Punk compilations through the years, such as the 'Garage Punk Unknowns' series and the 'Boulders' series! :D

I owe my dad (big time!) for introducing me to hard rock bands such as 'Led Zeppelin', 'The Rolling Stones' and 'The Who', progressive rock bands such as 'Queen' 'Yes' and 'Pink Floyd' and brilliant psychedelic / blues rock bands such as 'The Jimi Hendrix Experience'! :D

On a side note, both my parents are huge fans of the Beatles :) 

I am honestly, incredibly thankful for my parents' taste in music! B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Except for Little Richard and the Doo Wop groups my folks are very anti Rock n` Roll. They both like gospel, Ruth Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, James Brown and very early Motown. My father likes any Soul and R&B from the 50's til the early 90's.

Archived