The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

With regard to Jimmy's comments about limbering up on the touch lines, I wonder if he's been asked to do something for Wyman's 80th birthday gig. I know Percy is doing a couple of songs with the spoons and washboard. Didn't the Rhythm Kings support Zep at the O2 renunion? Anyway, could be a good one for Page to get back out there, build confidence, and relight the creative fires.

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

With regard to Jimmy's comments about limbering up on the touch lines, I wonder if he's been asked to do something for Wyman's 80th birthday gig. I know Percy is doing a couple of songs with the spoons and washboard. Didn't the Rhythm Kings support Zep at the O2 renunion? Anyway, could be a good one for Page to get back out there, build confidence, and relight the creative fires.

IMHO, Robert already being on the bill further diminishes the remote chance he would agree to participate, let alone attend.

8 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

IMHO, Robert already being on the bill further diminishes the remote chance he would agree to participate, let alone attend.

You're probably right, but they both did a cancer benefit at the Albert Hall once once, in different bands, on the same night. So, it's not out of the question. 

With the post in the master forum about Jimmy trying to put out material from his Yardbirds era I further get the sense he's not going to put together a band or record material... And by the time hes done with that, technology will have advanced enough to warrant another Zep remaster lol... 

...I'm in the camp that feels Jimmy owes us nothing but also in the camp that he needs to stop talking about a band/recording hes been planning on doing... And year after year nothing... I know I'm repeating what other people have been writing on here but I'm with them and their frustration... If Jimmy wants to retire he's earned it but just come out and say it...

...something that fueled this rant was listening to Jeff Becks recent album and how it felt rather refreshing and is on point with what a lot of good rock n' roll was all about back in the 60s which was all about saying... Fuck the man!!!

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 4:35 PM, Boleskinner said:

You're probably right, but they both did a cancer benefit at the Albert Hall once once, in different bands, on the same night. So, it's not out of the question. 

Sure, but that was 14 long years ago. It's not out of the question, but highly unlikely. Odds are a million to one against it.  

And after the Yardbirds remasters perhaps there will be some live Neil Christian and the Crusaders, and that will be especially taxing as high or even medium fidelity tape may not even exist. Or Jimmy getting up on stage at the Marquee with

Alexis Korner ??? Could exist........

What exactly is the big deal with Jimmy receiving a credit for producing?  It's not like helping
with production would be stepping on another members toes or shifting the balance on the
writing credits.  McCarty and Dreja would have a lot say on what goes into the final product,  so
I fail to see the problem.   Meh I guess I'm missing something?
:unsure:

45 minutes ago, KellyGirl said:

What exactly is the big deal with Jimmy receiving a credit for producing?  It's not like helping
with production would be stepping on another members toes or shifting the balance on the
writing credits.  McCarty and Dreja would have a lot say on what goes into the final product,  so

Seems like egos talking to me.  After all, this album was released without Jimmy's okay in the first place, and the production included embarrassing fake cheering, cocktail glasses clinking, etc.  Seems to me Dreja-McCarty should be happy that Jimmy wants to put it out properly, with his usual attention to detail and quality.  They would benefit financially and the band would receive some deserved buzz.

2 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

It's a conflict fueled by band politics, ego and vanity, for the most part. Essentially a production credit for Page would further cement the Page era of The Yardbirds (and by extension Jimmy Page himself) overshadowing the band itself. You can believe me when I say there are some who still fight tooth, fang and claw to this day maintaining their position that The Yardbirds are one of the most important and influential bands of all time on their own merits. Part of that argument is founded on the premise had there been no Yardbirds there would have been no Led Zeppelin. Of course, they point out the band vectored, if you like, no less than Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy's Page towards super stardom. However, the counter argument to all of that is were it not for those guitarist's involvement in The Yardbirds the band would be at best a footnote in the history of popular music. Additionally, it doesn't help that it was Page who insisted upon destruction of the original album parts, lacquers and masters (ultimately accomplished in February 1977)...and then apparently came out the legal proceedings at the time with physical possession of the performance master tape. 

If Jimmy ever gets a producer's credit, some will say "first he stole the band's name, then he stole their live album"...LOL!    

Ha Ha that is so right about the remaining Yardbirds almost being as spiteful and petty as can be, over what from other's

perspective looks senseless. Don't know how the credits(production) should be allocated, still beyond me. And I myself

am also mystified how the Yardbirds came to be so absolutely necessary for the further evolution of rock. Yes the three

pivotal guitarists, but many of the songs are bland or lame English blues or strange mixes of pop and psychedelia.

The Anderson Theatre gig(deleted release) certainly has Page in fine form, but Keith Relf is awful(out of key) I imagine

that auto-tune would be vital here. I regard only Roger the Engineer as a good studio album from the Yardbirds, Beck's

exoticism is an immense help here, yet still there are "bum" tracks. Page extends the false myth by saying he definetly

would have liked to continue on with them, but the enthusiasm had run out for the other members. And of course 

Zep's members were like 20 times better in the vocals and rhythm section than the Yardbirds. A grand illusion for

sure, the cosmic importance of the Yardbirds.

5 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Don't know how the credits(production) should be allocated, still beyond me.

My opinion through the years has been the best way to move forward with a re-release is to bring in a third party to produce it and let Dreja/McCarty handle all of the promotional duties. Page wins because the material sees the light of day again, and The Yardbirds win because the release introduces the band's music to a new generation of fans within the context of "this is just one era of the band's history".  

28 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

... the release introduces the band's music to a new generation of fans within the context of "this is just one era of the band's history".  

...and that is it.

they are still butt hurt over being leveraged into the title being "Live The Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page" that one didn't go down easy and still makes them chafe.

3 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

...and that is it.

they are still butt hurt over being leveraged into the title being "Live The Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page" that one didn't go down easy and still makes them chafe.

That's a great point. Didn't think of that. Can't say I blame them either. They're probably not too thrilled about Jimmy's past efforts to keep it shelved either. If they rename it and it gets cleaned up, maybe they'll have a change of heart. Obviously Page won't waste much time on it without a go ahead first. 

Has anyone heard if he's planning to remaster Little Games?

9 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Key fact:. The Producer will get significantly more money than other parties from such a release. 

$$$ for sure and more to be made on the publishing/licensing/distribution interests... could name your price

...I didn't see a producer credit on Acoustic Wanderer btw isn't it time for a follow up release?  Live @ The Biltmore would be nice...

Was yanked before, but even letting the other members get more credit, etc., it's not like the live album would go

anywhere near going gold. But not knowing the other members financial standing does make the money path

much more important. Not sure Dreja lives in a mansion and has  a collection of Aston Martin's or Bentley's.

I'm originally from the UK and I can honestly say that no one I know ever said that the Yardbirds were there favourite band, or even second favourite band. The only time they ever get mentioned is in docos about Zeppelin, or Clapton or Beck. They are an interesting footnote in the annals of  classic rock. But that's about as far as it goes.

I'm still hoping for some kind of musical activity from Page this year. If that does not happen, I'm starting to seriously think he's packed it in. You think that his young partner would be egging him on to do something creative. Anyway, fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath...

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

As with the live material, he doesn't have the rights to do anything with Little Games.

A Little Games remaster was previously released in 2003.

Thanks for the info Steve. I have that release.. 

11 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

.....no one I know ever said that the Yardbirds were there favourite band, or even second favourite band. The only time they ever get mentioned is in docos about Zeppelin, or Clapton or Beck..... 

Sad, but VERY true. :yesnod:  Even their Wiki page in the very opening paragraph informs people that
The Yardbirds  launched the careers of those three  - including the fact Jimmy went on to form
Led Zeppelin.  All of that is brought to your attention before naming  any other member.   The
contents are also heavily slanted towards those three guitarists -  especially Jimmy.  

I understand how the other members can become salty when the bands music drops as The
Yardbirds:  Featuring
[insert guitarist name/s]   but it is helping to market  The Yardbirds
product better to the public,  because it can in fact reach out to people who are very aware of
Led Zeppelin,   but unfamiliar with Jimmy's s career before that.   Unfortunately for other
members that could be the difference of  a newbie listener  putting The Yardbirds  in their
online shopping cart!  

What can you do eh?  You wanna sell the music.   Sports teams feature  their "star calibre players"  
in ads and billboards to sell their team,   so why not do it with music.   
The male ego bruises easily -
so I've been told   
:lol:   

• 3 weeks later...

The New JP Album:

Side One:

1) "She just satisfies"    (2016 rap/ guitar version)

2) "I'm Confused"   (acoustic/ sitar version)

3) "LA Drone"   (full unedited 2 minute version)

4)  "Creation"   (violin bow guitar solo duo with Eddie Phillips)

5)  "Page's Bolero"  (Bo Derek -vocals)

Side Two:

1) "Theme from Goldfinger"  (duo with Vic Flick)

2 ) "Hat's off to (Kenneth) Anger"   (missing additional minutes of Lucifer Rising Soundtrack)

3) "Hat's off to (Michael) Winner   (Death Wish III outakes)

4) "Hat's off to (William) Burroughs    (cut-up of above outtakes)

5) "Domino"  (P Diddy version)

6) "Autumn Lake, Part 2"   (TSRTS outtakes, with 5 year old Jason Bonham on drums)

Archived