Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Charles J. White

The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

296 posts in this topic

He'll get to it when he gets to it.. He's a 72 year old multimillionaire music lengend that hasn't a thing to prove to any of us.  So why waste your time bitching about it. I'm sure he's not going to the local music shops just to get it in the rumor mill that he went there. Think of what you're saying. Too many assumptions... 

I wish he'd stop with the vague answers that he gives too. But until I see an official statement, it doesn't mean much. 

Edited by the chase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler
  •  

Disregard the spoiler. A mistake. Right, Page is very likely looking for something interesting in those guitar shop visits.

He has a ton of guitars, but maybe he's looking for something totally un-Zep, or is checking out some boutique amps,

as this market has grown exponentially in the last 10 years. Who the hell knows ?? Of course the shop owners are

likely silenced.. This thread should really be called Jimmy Page's Black Hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, the chase said:

He'll get to it when he gets to it.. He's a 72 year old multimillionaire music lengend that hasn't a thing to prove to any of us.  So why waste your time bitching about it. I'm sure he's not going to the local music shops just to get it in the rumor mill that he went there. Think of what you're saying. Too many assumptions... 

I wish he'd stop with the vague answers that he gives too. But until I see an official statement, it doesn't mean much. 

It's Jimmy's own fault for repeatedly saying he's going to do something year after year for the last x years. 

Anyway, we're allowed to speculate and discuss things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

It's Jimmy's own fault for repeatedly saying he's going to do something year after year for the last x years. 

Anyway, we're allowed to speculate and discuss things.

Of course you're allowed. I'm allowed to say i think a lot of the speculations I see here are very far fetched.. 

 It's almost like everyone gave him a reprieve during the copyright trial. A week or so after it ended... "Now where were we? Oh yeah. Now I remember... When the EF is Page gonna do something.." 

and saying "I hope to be seen playing" is exactly what it is.. I don't think he's lying. And I put very little weight into it at the same time. I'll patiently wait for an official press release.. Until then... Whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way to hear new JP music is to fly to England, buy a guitar, head to Jimmy's home, sit on the walk and strum your guitar,  hope he hears it, takes pity on you, answers his door, offers you a guitar lesson during which you ask "show me the new riffs you've written since 98'."   I'm sure he would and that the rest of us will be listening to it on youtube until end time.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Page has been known to decline playing in some such situations, so don't count on that. There is a surefire way to almost

guarantee Page not only coming back, but really doing some possibly great stuff-- mean, but take away 95% of his 

money. I don't believe he has no energy, his hands are bad, etc..Slowed down a bit, sure. You'd see how quick he'd

put something or various projects going when he couldn't live like a king anymore(not that he doesn't deserve it).

Of course none of this will ever happen, but Jimmy would "match-fit" in record time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What's that man movin' cross the stage?

It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page...

You've got rock and roll at the Hollywood Bowl"

Will Jimmy Page jam with Jeff Beck tonight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago said:

"What's that man movin' cross the stage?

It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page...

You've got rock and roll at the Hollywood Bowl"

Will Jimmy Page jam with Jeff Beck tonight?

Jeff Beck is far to good to share his stage with an out of practice has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way around that. In fact many fans puzzlement about these things go back even to Zep 77' till now. I was around

for the 77' tour(12,13) but it really wasn't known by laypeople about Jimmy's addictions until HOTG came out in 85'.

Famous players, industry people, insiders knew about this, but that is partially why after Zep Jimmy was looked upon

suspiciously by many. Yes, XYZ project, Death Wish ll. And after Jimmy quit smack, he became really cranky. So even

back then , despite Page's "marketability" and guitar slow rehab, he was a bit "radioactive". Fans scratch their

heads, "not more soundtracks" ???, "not more cameo's??". So also Page since Zep has never really been a daily

practicing musician( maybe for a few months, but daily year in, year out, NO WAY !!!). So now there's a huge layoff

And Page has his baggage. Why doesn't he whip up some short intense piece that showcases his "legend", and post

it ?? I can already gaze into my crystal ball, if not deleted, and see the responses to this question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JTM said:

Jeff Beck is far to good to share his stage with an out of practice has been.

Wow!  Tell us how you really feel, JTM! :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walter said:

Wow!  Tell us how you really feel, JTM! :lol: 

Sadly, it's true. Though I really do wish he'd get off his arse and do something other than re-visiting Led Zeppelin. Given his age, after being out of performance for so long he may have a fear of failure that's holding him back, maybe he just does not want to admit he has lost his MOJO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to check out Beck's new release.  I see you've rated it very highly - over in his thread.

Jimmy and Jeff at the RnR HoF, performing Immigrant Song and Beck's Bolero was a great moment...too bad there weren't more of them together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Walter said:

I'll have to check out Beck's new release.  I see you've rated it very highly - over in his thread.

Jimmy and Jeff at the RnR HoF, performing Immigrant Song and Beck's Bolero was a great moment...too bad there weren't more of them together.

JB's playing is outstanding as usual though the vocals and in particular the lyrics took a few listens to get into. Now after a dozen or so plays Loud Hailer is the album of the year so far for me, a phenomonal album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2016 at 0:18 PM, JTM said:

Jeff Beck is far to good to share his stage with an out of practice has been.

Out of practice? Yep.. 

Has been? F#ck No.  Page is possibly more relevant these last few years than since Zeppelin's existence.. 

Beck is a phenomenon on guitar that would welcome Page to share his stage any day he wanted to.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the chase said:

Out of practice? Yep.. 

Has been? F#ck No.  Page is possibly more relevant these last few years than since Zeppelin's existence.. 

Beck is a phenomenon on guitar that would welcome Page to share his stage any day he wanted to.. 

 

His public profile has certainly been higher in recent years, with the remasters media junkets, but I wouldn't say he's more relevant. 

I would def say that Page, and Zep, are definitely more appreciated now, especially by the critics. That reappraisal began after the 1990 Remasters and has steadily grown since then. 

But Page has not recorded anything new or done anything that has made him more contemporary. He's more like a grand old sage amassing plaudits and gongs for his services to rock.

He'll never say he's retired to maintain the mystique, but he's got one slipper on with the other warming beside the fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I you walk the streets and ask young people if they've heard of Led Zeppelin many would say yes. Ask those same people if they know who Jimmy Page is and some would know most wouldn't. Ask them who Jeff beck you'll draw a blank.

Jeff's fan base consists of mainly those who have followed him since the 60's with  young new fans added sporadically while every year Zeppelin adds many young new fans to the base.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, juxtiphi said:

I you walk the streets and ask young people if they've heard of Led Zeppelin many would say yes. Ask those same people if they know who Jimmy Page is and some would know most wouldn't. Ask them who Jeff beck you'll draw a blank.

Jeff's fan base consists of mainly those who have followed him since the 60's with  young new fans added sporadically while every year Zeppelin adds many young new fans to the base.

 

Ask those same people to give you a few bars of "Hi Ho Silver Lining " and they will sing away, ask for a few bars of "Kashmir" and you'll get nada...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTM said:

Ask those same people to give you a few bars of "Hi Ho Silver Lining " and they will sing away, ask for a few bars of "Kashmir" and you'll get nada...

 

I don't  think so, Page's collaboration with Puff Daddy reintroduced Kashmir to the world. Hi Ho silver lining is known only to the old Jeff beck fans. That song hasn't been played in the radio since the 60's.  Kashmir is heard everywhere all the time from radio to TV shows to sporting events even news channels. Hi Ho not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, juxtiphi said:

I don't  think so, Page's collaboration with Puff Daddy reintroduced Kashmir to the world. Hi Ho silver lining is known only to the old Jeff beck fans. That song hasn't been played in the radio since the 60's.  Kashmir is heard everywhere all the time from radio to TV shows to sporting events even news channels. Hi Ho not so much.

Maybe so in the USA but here in the UK "Hi Ho..." is often on BBC Radio, as for Puff Daddy , Who?.....I heard his "collaboration once when I watched whatever film soundtack it was on...

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can all appreciate that there are musicians who are superb, but not well known.  And there are others who are not that great, but superbly well known.

Given Page's last 20 years of output, he is superbly well known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JTM said:

Maybe so in the USA but here in the UK "Hi Ho..." is often on BBC Radio, as for Puff Daddy , Who?.....I heard his "collaboration once when I watched whatever film soundtack it was on...

 

There ya go! I'm in America so there is a big difference in who listens to what and why.

Although Puffdaddy helped bring Zeppelin to a whole new fan base (his),

For my money CWM is the biggest pile of steaming shit I have ever heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding parallels between Beck and Page. Beck is probably still very active because, partially, he needs the money. He doesn't have Zeppelin royalties to keep him in a life of luxury. Another difference is that Beck never played in a massive band like Zeppelin (he was in the Yardbirds for a bit admittedly, but not the same level). These two things may have a significant bearing on why he is still out there and Page is less active. Not completely, but these two things are a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Regarding parallels between Beck and Page. Beck is probably still very active because, partially, he needs the money. He doesn't have Zeppelin royalties to keep him in a life of luxury. Another difference is that Beck never played in a massive band like Zeppelin (he was in the Yardbirds for a bit admittedly, but not the same level). These two things may have a significant bearing on why he is still out there and Page is less active. Not completely, but these two things are a factor.

 

true

 

Zeppelin has a massive core fan base so does Jeff, but Zeppelin's periphery and extra peripheral fan numbers are much larger than Jeff's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Regarding parallels between Beck and Page. Beck is probably still very active because, partially, he needs the money. He doesn't have Zeppelin royalties to keep him in a life of luxury. Another difference is that Beck never played in a massive band like Zeppelin (he was in the Yardbirds for a bit admittedly, but not the same level). These two things may have a significant bearing on why he is still out there and Page is less active. Not completely, but these two things are a factor.

Nah. JB is touring to promote an album, what makes you think he needs the money. After all Jeff Beck is the greatest (known) living guitarist on the planet. He's giving his fans what they want, unlike Page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beck has been touring practically every other. year since the 90's. Usually he'd be paired up with Santana or  other

guitar monster and they would be playing to large attendances. Of course he is nowhere as rich as Page, but to say

he needs the money, no way. Beck and Page together would be cool, but people don't realize that the RARHOF jam

Page hardly played anything. No lead guitar, no cool fills, barely backup guitar even. Page would need a good 9 mos-1 yr

daily dedication just to play reasonably well. This situation is so far apart and Page, unless he's been secretly practicing for

a while, forget it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now