The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

That's a great quote from Les Paul.

Honestly, I just don't think Jimmy wants to put in the work.

His post Zep playing peaked in 98-99 after 5 solid years of live playing and studio work etc.

He doesn't have 5 years of solid work in him, he looks good, but he is frail.

I'm just being a realist, I'm also a guitar player and musician I'm not just talking out my ass. Getting your chops back, especially after a essentially 16 year layoff, gonna take time and Jimmy doesn't have a lot of that.

How long do you think it would take a rock guitarist to get his chops back after a lengthy layoff? Would it take months or years? Would practice alone do the trick or would the guitarist need to perform in public and/or jam with a band.

As for my other question, please disregard it. It was both inappropriate and obtrusive. Sometimes my nosiness gets the better of me.

IF he ever does it and I don't hold my breath..of course l love some of the singers you mentioned Charles ( especially Paul), but honestly I would love to see an acoustic album with maybe two heavy riffs and no vocals, just guitar. He would not even have to tour as I truly believe people would by the album in droves. He has new music, we heard that played in It Might Get Loud.

If it makes him happy and his heart is in it...I guess we shall see:-) If not, we still have so much music:-)

He's only delivered one concert length performance in sixteen years so it's hard to say.

5 hours of practice / 6 days a week for 6 weeks and you will tear heads off. That's prior to rehearsing with fellow musicians.

No one can say for sure Page hasn't been playing his guitar. I think he enjoys massaging the truth.

5 hours of practice / 6 days a week for 6 weeks and you will tear heads off. That's prior to rehearsing with fellow musicians.

No one can say for sure Page hasn't been playing his guitar. I think he enjoys massaging the truth.

We can say for certain he has delivered one concert length performance in sixteen years, one solo album in seventy one years.

That sounds a lot easier than I had expected. Five hours a day is a lot but, you could break it into chunks to make it more manageable. Even if it took twice as long as you estimated that would still only be three months. From what other posters wrote, I was fearing it would take Page a year or more of solo practice just to get to the point where he was ready to start working with other musicians.

How so?

That's what I'd like to know. He's a great great drummer, good singer, guitarist, songwriter and band leader. Probably the most successful musician in hard rock today. He's great. A little over exposed, but listen to his drumming on QOTSA Songs For The Deaf or TCV and then tell me he's overrated. I don't agree at all.

He'll be back.

So what. Solo albums or group albums. Only time will tell. I'd rather encourage the guy to play again that fold my arms and say he's washed up. That's lazy and negative.

+1

No one is saying he's washed up, just saying he has Hung it Up.

Then why wouldn't he just say he's retired? He intends to get out there. He's come back before.

According to a recent article in Rolling Stone magazine, Jimmy is claiming that he will now be a solo artist. Not sure to what degree, but the one thing he does mention is that there may not be vocals involved, which would be a huge mistake. I think Joe Satriani is an amazing guitar player, but after about 20 minutes, I lose interest, hoping Jimmy doesn't follow down that path.

According to a recent article in Rolling Stone magazine, Jimmy is claiming that he will now be a solo artist. Not sure to what degree, but the one thing he does mention is that there may not be vocals involved, which would be a huge mistake. I think Joe Satriani is an amazing guitar player, but after about 20 minutes, I lose interest, hoping Jimmy doesn't follow down that path.

I'd rather him go that route and get experimental.. Singers tend to take too much control.. Rodgers, Coverdale, and even RP.. Lyrics can make or break a song.. I'd rather have no lyrics than bad lyrics..

I like the Outrider instrumentals much more than the vocal songs.. and I love DW2..

I'd rather him go that route and get experimental.. Singers tend to take too much control.. Rodgers, Coverdale, and even RP.. Lyrics can make or break a song.. I'd rather have no lyrics than bad lyrics..

I like the Outrider instrumentals much more than the vocal songs.. and I love DW2..

I agree with the point about Outrider. This might be the best Instrumental I have ever heard IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally disagree with Charles White, albums with different singers on every track have little cohesion. The first Slash album, compared to what he has done with Myles Kennedy are different ends of the spectrum. Also listen to the Iommi solo album, then listen to Fused with Glenn Hughes singing, same thing. You need one singer straight through, very few bands can pull this off, only the Eagles, some Queen with Roger and Brian singing lead on a few, and Triumph with Rik and Gil trading off.

I hope it's something a bit experimental. Some of his most interesting post-Zeppelin stuff was the synth guitar stuff on Death Wish 2. Playing-wise, he was probably at his guitar-army best on Coverdale-Page, but I really dug his new-wave, Fender b-bender stuff in the early to mid 80s. That was fresh and new-sounding. I just hope he does release something. He's been going on about doing something since the demise of Page and Plant and has never delivered. It wears a bit thin after a while. I don't mind if he doesn't want to do anything, he's 71, but don't keep dangling that carrot Mr P.

As a by the way, it's now September 2015.

...27 years, three months since releasing his first and only solo album...

...15 years, one month since his last concert length performance as a solo artist...

...7 years, ten months since his last concert length performance...

and to follow on from SAJ's points

13 years (approx.) of him saying that "next year" he'll be either releasing an album or playing live. haven't seentoo much evidence of wither have we?

if someone says they're going to do something "next year" for well over 10 years, and they don't then regardless of who they are (Page included) I class them as a bulshitter. maybe he thinks we're daft and that by the time each successive year's new promise arises we've forgotten last years empty one

We all know the facts about the length of time he has been promising to play and not delivered. I guess the key question is why hadn't he done it?

Is it just hype to keep us interested in him (and buying his extortionately priced photo book and stuff from the vaults), is her scared of a putting out a lemon and tarnishing his legacy, or he has actually tried but couldn't find the correct personnel.

Personally, I think it's more of the first two. Finding people to play with shouldn't be a problem. Younger musicians would be queuing up to play with the legendary Page in some kind of "comeback" project, and some new musicians a la The Black Keys could rejuvenate him. Look at the album they did with Doctor John. And material isn't a problem, he has stuff he did with the Zep post-O2, Domino from Page/Plant and two songs he debuted on It might get loud.

I would like to see him do something with Beck, but I doubt it would ever happen. Beck's playing is very precise and I think the two styles of play would be an interesting counterpoint. 

So yes, we all know about the how, but why???

As a by the way, it's now September 2015.

...27 years, three months since releasing his first and only solo album...

...15 years, one month since his last concert length performance as a solo artist...

...7 years, ten months since his last concert length performance...

Really, the main point to remember is early in 2015 he said "new music and live converts in 2015, probably later in the year rather than earlier".  And as Mr. Jones points out, we are now in Sept.  Unless he has secretly recorded a whole album of material, there is zero chance of new music and live shows in this calendar year, given his working pace.

Archived