The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

Don't be so literal, princess.  I was being ironic with a hint of silly.  As to the notion presented, because it is just as rational a though of JP producing any sort of new material :)

Silly me!  I get it now.  You made a pun by substituting one guy's name for another guy with a similar name.

That's sophisticated stuff.

I also see that you subscribe to the Alanis Morissette definition of irony.  You know the one - where the only truly ironic thing is that absolutely nothing you wrote actually contains a shred of irony.  I bow before your inestimable humor.  But not low enough to call you names. :-)

Silly me!  I get it now.  You made a pun by substituting one guy's name for another guy with a similar name.

I also see that you subscribe to the Alanis Morissette definition of irony.  You know the one - where the only truly ironic thing is that absolutely nothing you wrote actually contains a shred of irony.  I bow before your inestimable humor.  But not low enough to call you names. :-)

:hysterical: :goodpost:

We can say for certain he has delivered one concert length performance in sixteen years, one solo album in seventy one years.

He says the same thing over and over. From was Stairway stolen to he will do a studio album and tour. Well these have supposedly been in the works since 2013.

I mean not to bust anyone's chops or anything but many would love to see a tour.

>,8-)~

Well I think Slash overall has had some of the same problem Page has had. Take away the legendary

band, and now your'e in a lotta rough waters. Both guitarists have certainly done some very good solo

work, but a far cry from the primary band days. What some don't realize is that as erratic as Steven Adler

was(drummer orig GNR)he was unique and very creative, no doubt sparking Slash until drugs took over.

Page too was so dependent on Bonzo , because he filled up the sound so completely. Page is a nervous

and insecure type, especially now. The guest vocalist thing, let alone auditioning new musicians, may prove

too stressful, 08', sure, he was "ready to go mode". It's been a long layoff.

You miss the mark yet again, princess.  The irony lines in the reference a to prominent, very conservative  politician who is dead with the same name. Nonetheless, your literalist response to my original post by far trumps my attempt at low humor and Morisesettian irony. Bravo, princess.  Bravo.

You miss the mark yet again, princess.  The irony lines in the reference a to prominent, very conservative  politician who is dead with the same name. Nonetheless, your literalist response to my original post by far trumps my attempt at low humor and Morisesettian irony. Bravo, princess.  Bravo.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary "irony" is "a figure of speech in which the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed by the words used".

A good example of irony is: "isn't it a lovely day today?", when it is in fact raining.

Another example is one I deliberately used in my previous post.  Perhaps (ironically) you missed it? "I bow before your inestimable humour."  The irony therein being twofold : firstly I did not actually bow before your "humour" (you see the meaning intended is the opposite to the one expressed) and secondly far from finding your "humour" inestimable, I was in fact unable to find any.

I suppose you might think that name-calling counts as "humour", but it's really only children and politicians who think that it's funny or clever, and children tend to grow out of it.  You don't strike me as a politician.  Name-calling is actually a form of abuse and I'm pretty sure that personal abuse is against the guidelines of this forum.

Let's look again at your original statement and see if we can apply the definition of irony to it shall we?

relating, of course, to Jimmy working with Pat Monahan.
So the definition of irony says that "the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed by the words used".

Hm.

So from an ironic point of view you're actually saying that the dead politician (who may be famous in the states, but I'm a Brit and I've never heard of him) isn't dead?  Remember - the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed.
Or are you saying that Pat Monahan, the currently very-much-alive singer is dead?  This is how it looks at first read.  But you post a link to the dead politician, who you say has the same name, but whose surname is actually Moynihan - a name that is both spelled and pronounced differently.  I'm pretty sure there's a great educational program in the States called Sesame Street, and they do a really good informative sketch (with muppets!) about things being 'different' and 'the same'.  I urge you to check it out.
You say I'm taking your statement too literally, but there's really not that much there to fulfill the definition of irony that I can see.
You've also got to take into account that there are quite a few people on this forum for whom English is a second language.  They're going to read your post and think 'Pat Monahan is dead???? OH NO!', and the follow your link and think you've had some sort of break from reality.

What you have actually posted here is, as I stated previously (perhaps you didn't read it properly) a play on words, or a "pun", that you have to be in the know (from an American political stance) to gain any deeper meaning from - the play being that the name Monahan and Moynihan are similar.  However, wiithout any further context how are we supposed to glean the humour from this without asking you, and then immediately being subject to passive-aggressive abuse (name-calling with a smiley).

You go on to say, in your last reply, that "The irony lines (sic) in the reference a to prominent, very conservative  politician who is dead with the same name."  I've got to admit I'm really struggling to apply the definition of irony here.   Is it ironic that he's dead?  No.  Is it ironic that he's got the same name?  His name is similar, but not the same, so no.  Is it ironic that he's a politician?  No.  All this is, is an example of coincidental humour - exactly the same as all of the 'ironic' situations in the Alanis Morissette song that aren't actually ironic.

If you'd actually used irony correctly in your original statement to you could have worded it like this, maybe:
"Jimmy has more chance of recording with Pat Moynihan".  Then the fact that he's a politician (not a singer), that he's dead, (not alive), that his name is similar to Pat Monahan and the chances of Jimmy Page ever working with any musicians at all, then become part of the irony.

I'm sure your reply to this will be as witty, pithy and well thought out as all your previous replies (more irony), so it's a real shame I'll never get to read it.  Shortly after I post this I shall be putting you on my ignore list.

Have a nice day (did you spot the irony there?).

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Oxford English Dictionary "irony" is "a figure of speech in which the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed by the words used".

A good example of irony is: "isn't it a lovely day today?", when it is in fact raining.

Another example is one I deliberately used in my previous post.  Perhaps (ironically) you missed it? "I bow before your inestimable humour."  The irony therein being twofold : firstly I did not actually bow before your "humour" (you see the meaning intended is the opposite to the one expressed) and secondly far from finding your "humour" inestimable, I was in fact unable to find any.

I suppose you might think that name-calling counts as "humour", but it's really only children and politicians who think that it's funny or clever, and children tend to grow out of it.  You don't strike me as a politician.  Name-calling is actually a form of abuse and I'm pretty sure that personal abuse is against the guidelines of this forum.

Let's look again at your original statement and see if we can apply the definition of irony to it shall we?

relating, of course, to Jimmy working with Pat Monahan.So the definition of irony says that "the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed by the words used".

Hm.

So from an ironic point of view you're actually saying that the dead politician (who may be famous in the states, but I'm a Brit and I've never heard of him) isn't dead?  Remember - the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed.
Or are you saying that Pat Monahan, the currently very-much-alive singer is dead?  This is how it looks at first read.  But you post a link to the dead politician, who you say has the same name, but whose surname is actually Moynihan - a name that is both spelled and pronounced differently.  I'm pretty sure there's a great educational program in the States called Sesame Street, and they do a really good informative sketch (with muppets!) about things being 'different' and 'the same'.  I urge you to check it out.
You say I'm taking your statement too literally, but there's really not that much there to fulfill the definition of irony that I can see.
You've also got to take into account that there are quite a few people on this forum for whom English is a second language.  They're going to read your post and think 'Pat Monahan is dead???? OH NO!', and the follow your link and think you've had some sort of break from reality.

What you have actually posted here is, as I stated previously (perhaps you didn't read it properly) a play on words, or a "pun", that you have to be in the know (from an American political stance) to gain any deeper meaning from - the play being that the name Monahan and Moynihan are similar.  However, wiithout any further context how are we supposed to glean the humour from this without asking you, and then immediately being subject to passive-aggressive abuse (name-calling with a smiley).

You go on to say, in your last reply, that "The irony lines (sic) in the reference a to prominent, very conservative  politician who is dead with the same name."  I've got to admit I'm really struggling to apply the definition of irony here.   Is it ironic that he's dead?  No.  Is it ironic that he's got the same name?  His name is similar, but not the same, so no.  Is it ironic that he's a politician?  No.  All this is, is an example of coincidental humour - exactly the same as all of the 'ironic' situations in the Alanis Morissette song that aren't actually ironic.

If you'd actually used irony correctly in your original statement to you could have worded it like this, maybe:
"Jimmy has more chance of recording with Pat Moynihan".  Then the fact that he's a politician (not a singer), that he's dead, (not alive), that his name is similar to Pat Monahan and the chances of Jimmy Page ever working with any musicians at all, then become part of the irony.

I'm sure your reply to this will be as witty, pithy and well thought out as all your previous replies (more irony), so it's a real shame I'll never get to read it.  Shortly after I post this I shall be putting you on my ignore list.

Have a nice day (did you spot the irony there?).

I think he was trying to be a little funny corny etc. As in not really being serious. I think you took his comments and internalize them as some kind of attack. Was this response necessary?

I think he was trying to be a little funny corny etc. As in not really being serious. I think you took his comments and internalize them as some kind of attack. Was this response necessary?

I wouldn't have even bothered replying to the first comment if it hadn't been for the name-calling.  Name calling is used as a tactic to belittle someone, and this constitutes personal abuse, which is quite frankly unnecessary.  It costs nothing to be polite, and I think I've have shown in my response that it's quite possible to make your point politely without sinking to the politics of the playground.

Want an amazing, only Jimmy Page could do it irony : When Page wore the 3/4 Stormtrooper outfit in

Chicago live in 77', he really was trying to shock people. Now he did a bit, but at the time Jimmy being

close to 6ft. and unlikely weighing even 120 pounds, looked himself like a concentration camp victim.

Now if that isn't ironic, I don't know what else is. Just trying to cut some of the tension here.

Want an amazing, only Jimmy Page could do it irony : When Page wore the 3/4 Stormtrooper outfit in

Chicago live in 77', he really was trying to shock people. Now he did a bit, but at the time Jimmy being

close to 6ft. and unlikely weighing even 120 pounds, looked himself like a concentration camp victim.

Now if that isn't ironic, I don't know what else is. Just trying to cut some of the tension here.

I had never thought about how that particular costume choice related to his weight at the time but you make an interesting point.  

Definetly great stuff. Guitar skills as you age are one of the easier instruments to deal with, as you can

always put on really thin strings for much easier playing. Certainly arthritis could strike, but drums if

you play like Bonzo, not likely to have the same strength at 70. Page already uses very thin strings,

some have commented that he now uses his arm instead of his wrist for fast picking. May be but I'm

not sure this has slowed him down. I'm sure he wants to publicly play, but wouldn't be surprised if

he has with the long layoff fits of nerves thinking exactly how to get out there.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching the latest video tweeted from Jimmy Page News account. I have to
ask what is it that has Jimmy wanting to make another solo album - besides the
obvious? It's been 27 years, he still has a will to play and a passion for writing music
........but is there something else? I know other musicians his age still get up on the
stage or head to the studio to record music - and that's great, but not everyone's path
is the same. If Jimmy wants to sit back, smell the roses then he can do so and enjoy it.

Sometimes I wonder if he feels he has something to prove to the naysayers. Whether
the man wrote music last week or 30 years ago. The music he did make is listened to
and discussed by so many people so many decades later, and will continue to do so.
He can flip off /give the bird to those who say otherwise.

I know others will argue, but in a weird way Jimmy continuing to drop these little Easter
eggs on what his plans are for the future constantly lures you in - in a very crafty way.
I don't mean it in a deceitful manner. It's meant in a complimentary way
B)

Haha watch Jimmy have an album released posthumously!  

Hello, long time lurker who finally signed up here.  I hope this thread might be the right place to add this...I saw that jimmypage.com posted about Jimmy's first time seeing Scarlet Sabet  at the World's end Book Shop during her first poetry reading or something to that effect. This is the first time this post was put up on JP.com as far as I remember and it sure seems like a promo for the provided link to Scarlet's site.  Here she has video links, a small store, promos for events and info to let people familiarize themselves with her work.  I suspect this may be a rather calculated move, since the lovely and talented Scarlet Sabet could very easily be Jimmy's new muse.  And if JP's new solo work has her singing, or at the very least writing the lyrics, this posting might be intended to start the publicity drip feed, so the fans are more prepared to take SS into the fold if this happens.

As I am sure we all remember, the salivating and desperate media liked to portray JP as a lecherous old man, and SS as a girl of questionable morals or even an unwitting victim of Page in those idiotic stories that accompanied the paparazzi images of them in public. 

Myself, I really hope they are working together, be it on an acoustic project or something "heavier."  I think that the JP and SS are well paired, and Jimmy's new work might head in the direction of the fantastic Burrows/Cobain work on "The Priest They Called Him " or something to that effect.  As posted elsewhere, Jimmy has done this sort of thing pre-zep; it might just work with his magic touch. Of course I am really just shooting in the dark, but honestly I just have a feeling about this since Jimmy has certainly noticed that bringing a lady in worked out quite well for Robert Plant.  

not to go OT, but do we really believe his weight could have been this low?  Surely his face would have been quite gaunt.

There's hope for Jimmy.... here's Bob Wood of Nashville, TN, who at 81, can still make beautiful music on an electric guitar:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1223817/81-year-old-stuns-guitar-shop-staff-playing.html

wow, very good stuff.  But this man PLAYS, while others, ahem, PROMISE.  I fear from Mr. page, all that is left is promises, the playing is done.

Right, Hoek. If you go back, way back in Jimmy's guitar history(performance), it turns out early on that

Jimmy did accompany some poetry readings. Not sure how fans would take that nowadays; however

Jimmy remains the sorcerer , and done right with the bow and various effects, etc.,it could be

Mahvelous. 

About Page's legendary thinness, I was 5'11, 130-135 pds(ha, no longer). I had the same long arms and legs, short torso. Now I didn't see Page in person in 77', but very close in 83'. Perhaps he had lost even

more weight !!!!!?!?!!! but I can honestly tell you I have never seen an adult standing up that thin. His waist

was at least 3-4 sizes smaller than mine. Face wise, remember that Jimmy before the weight loss

had an almost moon round, large face. But actually especially from 77' on there are plenty of shots

where Jimmy looks drawn or gaunt. Well, enough NON- ESSENTIAL but still vital facts.

After watching the latest video tweeted from Jimmy Page News account. I have to
ask what is it that has Jimmy wanting to make another solo album - besides the
obvious? It's been 27 years, he still has a will to play and a passion for writing music
........but is there something else? I know other musicians his age still get up on the
stage or head to the studio to record music - and that's great, but not everyone's path
is the same. If Jimmy wants to sit back, smell the roses then he can do so and enjoy it.

Sometimes I wonder if he feels he has something to prove to the naysayers. Whether
the man wrote music last week or 30 years ago. The music he did make is listened to
and discussed by so many people so many decades later, and will continue to do so.
He can flip off /give the bird to those who say otherwise.

I know others will argue, but in a weird way Jimmy continuing to drop these little Easter
eggs on what his plans are for the future constantly lures you in - in a very crafty way.
I don't mean it in a deceitful manner. It's meant in a complimentary way
B)

Haha watch Jimmy have an album released posthumously!  

Great post. I think part of it is wanting to prove something to the naysayers. In one his led zep reissue interviews he said he wants to play live again to prove he's part of the "world cup" ! That's some pretty big expectations and demands he's putting on himself at 71 and after years of not doing shows but it's great he seems determined and has a twinkle in his weye whenever he talks about "seen to be playing live" . Whatever approach or genre he does  will be interesting and creative. As someone mentioned on here I think one of his musical surprises could possibly be playing guitar accompaniment to poetry reading. He did this in the 60s.

Personally if he does one I think it should be mostly if not entirely instrumental. Then there are truly no barriers for the music, just let him be himself and let the music do the talking. Looking for a vocalist that's going to represent your music properly is just a hassle. I'd just focus on making great music, which is what I think he will do. I mean not that he'd make music on the same level(nor do I expect him to) but songs like the battle of evermore, going to california, the rain song, the song remains the same, bron-y-aur stomp, thank you, that's the way, even stairway, kashmir, and honestly nearly any zeppelin song would make fantastic and in many cases beautiful instrumentals that would allow you to just get lost in the music and the depth of the music, I mean for me as a Guitarist and a musician, the music is what I hear first. I love Robert, he's my favorite singer, and I love his lyrics, but the music is what matters to me the most.

I am sure that Jimmy has some kind of home studio, even if it's just a basic portable multitrack recorder, and that he has a decent amount of demo recordings and ideas for songs. Just because he doesn't show them off doesn't mean he doesn't have any or that he has created very little song ideas or songs. Being the guitarist and basically the lead song writer in what is probably the greatest band of all time (or one of) puts a lot of pressure on you if you ever plan to release anything to the public. Especially when you haven't released new music in about 20 years.

Personally if he does one I think it should be mostly if not entirely instrumental. Then there are truly no barriers for the music, just let him be himself and let the music do the talking. Looking for a vocalist that's going to represent your music properly is just a hassle. I'd just focus on making great music, which is what I think he will do. I mean not that he'd make music on the same level(nor do I expect him to) but songs like the battle of evermore, going to california, the rain song, the song remains the same, bron-y-aur stomp, thank you, that's the way, even stairway, kashmir, and honestly nearly any zeppelin song would make fantastic and in many cases beautiful instrumentals that would allow you to just get lost in the music and the depth of the music, I mean for me as a Guitarist and a musician, the music is what I hear first. I love Robert, he's my favorite singer, and I love his lyrics, but the music is what matters to me the most.

I am sure that Jimmy has some kind of home studio, even if it's just a basic portable multitrack recorder, and that he has a decent amount of demo recordings and ideas for songs. Just because he doesn't show them off doesn't mean he doesn't have any or that he has created very little song ideas or songs. Being the guitarist and basically the lead song writer in what is probably the greatest band of all time (or one of) puts a lot of pressure on you if you ever plan to release anything to the public. Especially when you haven't released new music in about 20 years.

Archived