The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

To me if he worked with a female singer, I would want it to be Ann Wilson from Heart, she still sounds great, & can belt out any Zep song, should they be inclined to do one.

Or Lady Gaga, when she's through working with the Octogenarian.... 

I think, properly done of course, a collaboration with Roy Harper that is more Jimmy as principal than sideman has potential.  Like do the music,  get it just so, and bring in Roy.  It insures something new, surprising, not a rehash.  Plus the comfort of familiarity is already there.  

I think, properly done of course, a collaboration with Roy Harper that is more Jimmy as principal than sideman has potential.  Like do the music,  get it just so, and bring in Roy.  It insures something new, surprising, not a rehash.  Plus the comfort of familiarity is already there.  

I don't see this happening.

1) Roy is boring. If Jimmy plays, he'll want play loud and hardish.

2) it is said that Jimmy has already declined to do acoustic music with Robert.

3) Jimmy seems to have an affinity for singers who shriek as their schtick. (Coverdale, Tyler, etc).

4) Harper is an accused child molester, and probably not a great choice for hitching one's wagon to, at this time.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/roy-harper-appears-in-court-on-child-sex-abuse-charges-20131118

Harper is an accused child molester, and probably not a great choice for hitching one's wagon to, at this time.

Roy has already been exonerated off all charges. You say that he is boring, but IMHO aside from the 02 show Page's best moments onstage since 2000 were with Harper.

Roy has already been exonerated off all charges. You say that he is boring, but IMHO aside from the 02 show Page's best moments onstage since 2000 were with Harper.

Glad to hear he was exonerated. I agree with your observation, but I do not think that a substantial musical relationship with Harper is what Page would want to sign up for. If Page ever does anything again, I can't see it being in the Roy Harper style, unless it's the odd appearance, etc. I suppose it all comes down to what we envision as Page's next step: casual playing, here and there, or a full on solo album and tour. Frankly, I don't see any likelihood of either, but casual playing seems most probable, so maybe that would be with Harper. My initial response was more directed at the thread title, and I cannot see that pairing as a probability. They did that already with Jugula, and they really haven't been in any rush to reprise that experience. 

Glad to hear he was exonerated. I agree with your observation, but I do not think that a substantial musical relationship with Harper is what Page would want to sign up for. If Page ever does anything again, I can't see it being in the Roy Harper style, unless it's the odd appearance, etc. I suppose it all comes down to what we envision as Page's next step: casual playing, here and there, or a full on solo album and tour. Frankly, I don't see any likelihood of either, but casual playing seems most probable, so maybe that would be with Harper. My initial response was more directed at the thread title, and I cannot see that pairing as a probability. They did that already with Jugula, and they really haven't been in any rush to reprise that experience. 

I envision Page's next step will be a Led Zeppelin live release in late 2016, early 2017. Harper is an ideal foil for a return to live performances if he is so inclined. Personally, I see zero genuine solo project or studio album ambitions. 

What about Page playing with a hologram of Led Zep in the '70s behind him. Like what Elvis's old Vegas band do in their tribute show. Might be the only thing that satisfies his urge for a reunion. hee hee. 

What about Page playing with a hologram of Led Zep in the '70s behind him. Like what Elvis's old Vegas band do in their tribute show. Might be the only thing that satisfies his urge for a reunion. hee hee. 

Well then, you might as well have a hologram of the entire band.

Well certain things must be explained. Jimmy uses pretty much the lightest strings possible, the lowest action possible, and unusually light LP's. So compared to let's say

an "average" player, Jimmy is making playing as easy as possible. No matter how rusty,

a few hrs a day for 3-4 months and that would likely sufficiently loosen the gears. All the

other stuff, assembling a grooving band, having new material, booking gigs, are far more

problematic. Don't ignore how easy Page makes his guitar a breeze to play, if you

handed him SRV's stage guitar, that has very thick strings, Page would be totally shut

down.

I agree Stevie Ray had very strong fingers he mostly used .013-.015 gauge but I heard he played much thicker gauges too. Thats why his tone was so thick. Stevie was great and his live shows were so consistent.

On the other hand, Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top uses 7s on his Guitars tuned down a half step.

I agree Stevie Ray had very strong fingers he mostly used .013-.015 gauge but I heard he played much thicker gauges too. Thats why his tone was so thick. Stevie was great and his live shows were so consistent.

SRV, what a monster player, loved his style. However I never liked his tone, thick gauge strings aside, I always hated his tone.

Now, I would love to see Jimmy do something different with a solo project, work with someone out of left field like Florence + The Machine, Siouxsie Sioux, or Maria McKee. My pick would be for Siouxsie Sioux.

Some of the suggestions here for a female singer for Jimmy are sooooo bad.  No offense people, Bjork?  Lady Gaga?  I mean really?

how about an actual rocker chick like Grace Potter?  

It it doesn't matter anyways.  Jimmy has arthritis, tendinitis, Idontwannatarnishmylegacyitis, and Imreleasinglivezepnextitis.

He also used Dumble amps along with his Fenders amps which provided quite a bit of reverb.

I think one of Robert's main problems continuing with Jimmy was although WIC wasn't a Zep clone album,

the shows, good as they were, were 95% Zep 101. Arguably with the Firm and parts of Outrider and Page/

Coverdale, Page was punching the clock creatively. THAT's why some of posts likely suggested choices

that would force Page to steer clear of the usual cliches, out of the comfort zone. I would much rather

have Jimmy fail spectacularly than go out quietly playing it safe.

I think one of Robert's main problems continuing with Jimmy was although WIC wasn't a Zep clone album,

the shows, good as they were, were 95% Zep 101. Arguably with the Firm and parts of Outrider and Page/

Coverdale, Page was punching the clock creatively. THAT's why some of posts likely suggested choices

that would force Page to steer clear of the usual cliches, out of the comfort zone. I would much rather

have Jimmy fail spectacularly than go out quietly playing it safe.

Plant's current set list is still heavy on the Zep content, but I guess he's playing with different musos and they're different interpretations of the originals. He's also creating and playing new songs that are being well received by the critics. Page and Plant were together for over four years during their comeback and they didn't produce any killer new material. The best stuff was, in my opinion, Wonderful One and Yallah, which was some of their first songs that they wrote when they reunited. I think the creative partnership had run dry to an extent. I always thought Plant overthought and had too much control over the reunion. He was too wary of repeating the past rather than doing what they did best. As for Jimmy's new album, he's now in a state of creative inertia.

Well I suppose I am quite prejudiced about Plant's output since 2000. I'm a musician and it puzzles

me how Plant seems to be almost allergic to playing with guitarists close to his level. Robert has been

very adventurous in his solo career, but for me more unique and exotic ideas demand better players than

he uses. As you said, he had too much control with P/P projects, and although I do like some of his

solo stuff, as an intuitive musician it sounds to me like he's telling people what to play. Some of the guitar

stuff sounds like over simple, like a pro wouldn't play that. Nothing wrong with simple, just odd. Page, who

the hell knows what's up ?? He could be revisiting the Heartbreaker solo as we speak, but I waste no

emotional energy considering his future.

Page and Plant were together for over four years during their comeback and they didn't produce any killer new material. The best stuff was, in my opinion, Wonderful One and Yallah, which was some of their first songs that they wrote when they reunited. I

I will say that I agree with you and do not agree with you. 

"Wonderful One" and "Yallah" are good songs.  This is where I agree with you, however, both of these songs were done with pre-recorded tape loops. 

I will say that I think that "Blue Train" and "Walking into Clarksdale" were two "killer" new songs that Page and Plant recorded.  This is where I will respectfully disagree with you.

Archived