Scuffed Up Super Deluxe Edition Boxes?

Koschei

Previously the Super Deluxe editions have had minor nicks and scratches, but these last three from Amazon are really scuffed to hell. My Coda edition has a white line along the top edge where the print or paint has been scuffed off, In Through the Out Door has a huge gouge on the front. Anyone else having these problems? I'm not perfectionist, but these were not cheap, and expected to get them undamaged at the very least.

My LZIV SDBS had some damage on the vinyl. Amazon sent a replacement and the box was pretty beat up. I kept the old box and substituted the new vinyl (and the lower numbered print from the second box). Amazon received the scratched vinyl packaged in the damaged box.

My Coda, which was shipped separately from Presence and ITTOD, has a scuffed box, especially the lower left corner. It looks as if the damage happened before it was shrink wrapped as there are no signs of damage to the plastic cover and no damage to any of the packaging.

My Coda, which was shipped separately from Presence and ITTOD, has a scuffed box, especially the lower left corner. It looks as if the damage happened before it was shrink wrapped as there are no signs of damage to the plastic cover and no damage to any of the packaging.

Yep same with mine, it's going back for replacement I think. Are you returning yours?

Yep same with mine, it's going back for replacement I think. Are you returning yours?

Yes, I'll return it as it is such a special and beautiful set, I hate to start out with a banged up box. I'll hang on to it until the next one arrives to ensure that it looks better before sending this one back. I had to do the same thing with my Jimmy Page book. On that one, it took three books to get one that was in great shape, but it was worth it. Hopefully it won't take that long with Coda. Good luck with your set!

:)

Yes, I'll return it as it is such a special and beautiful set, I hate to start out with a banged up box. I'll hang on to it until the next one arrives to ensure that it looks better before sending this one back. I had to do the same thing with my Jimmy Page book. On that one, it took three books to get one that was in great shape, but it was worth it. Hopefully it won't take that long with Coda. Good luck with your set!

:)

ITTOD is OK now, however the Coda replacement is scratched under the plastic, it's going back again. I think this is a production problem.

ITTOD is OK now, however the Coda replacement is scratched under the plastic, it's going back again. I think this is a production problem.

My ITTOD has a minor scuff spot on the front of the box, and my Coda has some very minor wear on one or two edges/corners of the box. I agree that these appear to be production problems - some of the boxes are getting a little beat up in the factory/warehouse, before they get shrinkwrapped.

Overall, though, I've had very good luck - the ITTOD and Coda issues are extremely minor, nowhere near the level I'd consider returning, and my SD boxes of Zep I, II, III, IV, Houses and Presence have been pristine.

The only real issue i had was Physical Graffiti - the box's inner supports (not the front or back, but rather the pieces that make up the thickness of the box) were split at the corner seams - and all three of the LP sleeves inside had seam splits. The shrinkwrap was pristine, so I assumed USPS was unusually violent with it, causing the inner contents to shift a lot. The place I bought it from gave me a $25 refund, and then I glued the corners of the box (they look fine and are stronger than when new), and Dr. Rhino sent me replacement sleeves via a new sealed deluxe LP edition of PG. So I am content.

I received my Coda replacement today, and while not as bad as the first, the box is still scuffed a bit. There is also a long scratch on the front. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow, but this one is likely going back as well. :(

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased all of the deluxe editions, call me crazy but I did. The main reason was everything that came with them. The 80 page books were brilliantly done, the numbered lithographs I am thinking of collecting together and putting them in a custom matted frame to display all the awesomeness that were the Zeppelin album covers. The bonus material I agree some of it you really have to have a trained ear to hear some of the differences in the songs, but I do love alternate lyrics and the few unreleased stuff. I wish people would not complain so much, if you don't want it, don't buy it. Don't blame Jimmy for a money grab, he was just giving us some different takes on stuff as it was happening, take it or leave, I will take it. In addition I did not buy any of my deluxe editions through Amazon. I purchase the majority of my vinyl from a place called soundstagedirect.com.

They have a video on there of how they pack their albums, and all of mine came in very good shape, packed in extremely heavy gauge cardboard. After all that my only wish is we had more video. I would love some pristine Earls Court footage, or just straight concert footage from TSRTS, minus all the fantasy stuff. They filmed the shows, where is the rest of the footage??

My ITTOD box came scuffed up in certain places. (The brown color turned to tan) Don't understand why there wasn't care in the manufacturing process. I didn't return the item for a replacement because it would have been too much a hassle. I  already had returned Physical Graffiti for a replacement because the lp covers were ripped. The cardboard used is much thinner than the originals. 

I have had minor scuffs on a few of mine (I bought all of the Super Deluxes) but CODA has by far been the worst.

I have had three sent to me by Amazon, all with problems. The first had wear on the box - scuffs, worn corners - and the some of the pages in the book were not separated. I had to carefully tear them apart. There was also a blemish on the back cover like it was water damaged.

The second had a small blemish on the front of the box. Nothing major but it shouldn't be there.

Third: Slightly better than the previous two but I noticed that once I opened the box, that the spine on the box began to crack a little - like a new book, but due to the colouring, the crack became a faint line down the spine. I figured this was the best I was going to get so I kept it, but last weekend I noticed that the 'fabric' on the spine was getting saggy as if the glue was separating from the box. So this one might go back too.

I think CODA had some serious manufacturing problems.

By far the most common problem seems to be visited on those unlucky enough to have purchased through Amazon. Totally inadequate packaging resulted in me returning the 1st three twice . The second three once. The final three will be purchased from an independent dealer when funds permit . I finally give in where Amazon is concerned,  bargain prices or not . I can't begin to understand the thinking as the cost of returns must be astronomical. Is this how you become one of the biggest firms on the planet?

Since I think Amazon is evil and a detriment to small businesses everywhere, it makes me happy to hear this. I have never bought anything from amazon and I never will. Coincidentally, I never have the problems that I hear other people moan about when purchasing goods. Nothing I buy is scuffed or broken or scratched or dented or the wrong color or the wrong size or the wrong make or late in arriving. Fuck Amazon.

I don't know if Amazon was the problem in my case. All of the sets, including the three Codas, have been immaculately packed in foam-lined cardboard boxes inside bigger padded boxes. The damage to my Coda sets was within the shrink wrap, which to me indicates production errors.

Archived