Another list for you Zeppelin fans who like being annoyed...

Pb!

Best thing is the very final bit - I had no idea that John Lydon's Public Image Limited began their shows with a rendition of Kashmir!

I of course agree that a lot of what the author says is preposterous. However, while you might not wish to factor sexism and misogyny in to Zep song rankings, the author is correct about the stupidity and offensiveness of many of the lyrics.

That said, the author also is a total hypocrite because he easily forgives such lyrics when he's decided to rank a song with such lyrics high anyway - and he also ignores really nice, beautiful lyrics when he wants to rank a song low (Ten Years Gone, That's the Way).

So yeah, the article is basically garbage and/or clickbait - but there are some interesting insights and points mixed in with all the junk IMHO.

The author is a woman, so I don't have a problem with her downgrading songs due to sexist lyrics. The annoying bit, besides the few obvious factual errors, is that the opening paragraph lauds Page's production, and then she bitches about the poor production of half the songs.

The author is a woman, so I don't have a problem with her downgrading songs due to sexist lyrics. The annoying bit, besides the few obvious factual errors, is that the opening paragraph lauds Page's production, and then she bitches about the poor production of half the songs.

The author is Bill Wyman (not THAT Bill Wyman). If you're referring to Maya Robinson, that looks like a photo credit.

The msn link is picking up the direct link from vulture.com http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/all-74-led-zeppelin-songs-ranked.html

I read this piece and all the memories of Zeppelin being seen as public enemy number one in the UK came flooding back. Staggered by the factual inaccuracies during the All My Love review. The whole rock genre at times gets a kicking; comments on Zeppelin's contemporises are just as vicious. Even the fan base gets it (lumpen proletariat). Blimey.

I think the excesses of the band still rankles with some people.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read this article about a week ago as it was posted onto Facebook and I closed the page as soon as it came to Gallows Pole (at 69??? come on!!!?!?!??)

The author has no clue, is full of pretentous ideas and needs strung up.

Far from being annoying, these lists are just plain irrelevant and pointless... what exactly is the criteria for deciding how one song is 'better' than another?

What one person thinks is a great song, another might find it less so. I contend that 'Carouselambra' was one of the most adventurous and bold tracks the Zep ever produced, in that it was such a departure from anything they had attempted previously and by right it shouldn't have worked but did. I completely recognize some people really don't like it (the most common criticism seems to be the parping keyboards, the very thing I feel gives it character), but for me it epitomizes Zeppelin's musical mastery and why they set a standard that will never be equalled much less exceeded...

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

...Or the author could be one of those up their own arse pretentious hipsters who don't like listening to "mainstream" music and prefer to listen to bands who we never heard of while dining on mung beans farmed by Chilean pygmy farmers

Archived