In Through the Out Door reissue: WOW!

Randall Rhea

Ok i just listened to presence and in through the out door and ittod definitely plays louder, it tripped my amp breaker at 3/4 volume, where presence sustained. As stated already, the keys sound great, everything is still more equalized, smoother, with clarity...as all the other records.

Just revisiting history, as in all the the interviews..,how great was it, that plant and jones held the band up...and how good was it for page and bonham to step up and still make the band, a band.

The ITTOD companion disc was a missed opportunity to put Bonham's isolated drum track to "Fool In The Rain" on there, now that's something the fans and especially the many musicians who love Zep would truly be blown away by. It's on youtube, he's so steady and you hear Bonzo yelling and grunting while he's playing! He's putting out 110% GROOVE with ZERO mistakes, totally smooth beyond belief, his right foot is totally on the money. You don't really hear him yelling on the album version, it's masked by the other instruments, though I can tell it's the same exact take. I agree with others here that say the companion versions are merely mono, lo-fi versions that are too similar to the real versions, I'd much rather have Bonzo's isolated drums to "Fool In The Rain", every drummer I talk to is absolutely amazed by it, myself included.

I think the only mistake made was not putting on the longer version of All Of My Love. I think not including that version on the original release is one of the few production mistakes Jimmy has made. I can't fathom why he made the same mistake a second time.

At last, I have cracked open my ITTOD set today, because no matter what Wikipedia says, August 21 is the anniversary of ITTOD'S release...at least in the U.S. Perhaps it was released a week earlier in the UK.

And though I don't consider ITTOD overall as great as other Zeppelin albums, there are a few tracks that I enjoy immensely. I really had a blast spending the past few weeks with my Presence box and am not expecting as much fun with ITTOD. But I hope Jimmy's put something interesting on the companion audio disc, at least.

At last, I have cracked open my ITTOD set today, because no matter what Wikipedia says, August 21 is the anniversary of ITTOD'S release...at least in the U.S. Perhaps it was released a week earlier in the UK.

ITTOD was released in the United Kingdom on Monday, August 20th, 1979... one day before our American cousins, as was the normal procedure until very recently; Monday was the standard release day in Blighty, Tuesday in Uncle Sam.

And though I don't consider ITTOD overall as great as other Zeppelin albums, there are a few tracks that I enjoy immensely. I really had a blast spending the past few weeks with my Presence box and am not expecting as much fun with ITTOD. But I hope Jimmy's put something interesting on the companion audio disc, at least.

ignore.gif Must... not... spoiler... :P;)

I think the only mistake made was not putting on the longer version of All Of My Love. I think not including that version on the original release is one of the few production mistakes Jimmy has made. I can't fathom why he made the same mistake a second time.

I think the far bigger "mistake" was the inclusion of three third-rate quality, dull sounding mono mixes which are (apart from sound quality) absolutely identical to the album mixes.

ITTOD reissue is my least favorite of all the reissues. The companion disc especially. The quality of the audio for Fool In the Rain, All My Love and I'm Gonna Crawl is awful. Also, they edited the beginning section of Hot Dog. If you listen to the 1990 master or the original you hear talking and Jimmy's guitar just before the intro starts.

^ Could not have said it better, and I would like to add, both Presence & ITTOD have Bonzo's finest work, by far, as a drummer. ITTOD in particular shows Bonzo going off into the direction of jazz and latin rhythms of which the latter he delved into on Presence as well. However, his jazz and latin beats on ITTOD show a truly magnificent drummer growing into a percussionist spanning all genres of music.

I truly believe if Robert would have just left the band after the European tour in 80', Bonzo would have lived and he would be the elder statesman of drumming jamming with all the greats and becoming the go to studio percussionist. I feel this was truly Bonham's destiny, to live on his farm, surrounded by family, and cruising into London a couple times a month for studio work or the one-off live appearance, going home at night to his family.

Ah, just conjecture in the end...

wow. Was listening to companion All of My Love, reading that - have to say, got a lump in my throat. :goodpost:

My initial impressions so far after my first few listens to both the original album and the companion audio are:

1. Disappointment in the companion audio disc. Make that supreme disappointment. It sounds the most repetitive and it is easily my least favourite of the bonus discs so far. Nothing especially revealing or different in the mixes, save for some of Robert's vocals being clearer. Considering the treats (All My Love with guitar outro) I have heard on various bootlegs of the ITTOD sessions, this has to count as a major missed opportunity by Jimmy Page. I don't think I will ever have a need to play the bonus ITTOD disc again...not even the vinyl.

2. Fortunately, the original album sounds even better than I remember. There are subtle layers to the guitars in "Hot Dog" that I had not heard previously. "Fool in the Rain" snaps, crackles, and pops...I could listen to Bonham's playing on this all day long. Best of all, "Carouselambra" reveals Jonesy's bass line like never before...and Bonzo delivers another good performance that often goes unnoticed. There are some fills and rolls in this song as good as the ones in "Achilles Last Stand".

3. The packaging. It is nice that they housed each cd disc separately to keep the purity of the album packaging intact, but in my opinion, they should have housed the original album cd in a replica of the water-sensitive album sleeve that came with the original release. I also am curious what went into the decision on which of the six different album covers to use for this remastered release and why they chose the one they did.

• 6 months later...
On 24/08/2015 at 8:00 AM, Strider said:

It is nice that they housed each cd disc separately to keep the purity of the album packaging intact, but in my opinion, they should have housed the original album cd in a replica of the water-sensitive album sleeve that came with the original release. I also am curious what went into the decision on which of the six different album covers to use for this remastered release and why they chose the one they did.

I totally (if belatedly, so sue me) agree... truth be told, all of the remastered albums on CD should have come with the original inner sleeves, for completion sake if nothing else.  The standalone non-deluxe CD editions could have easily done without the frankly useless eight-page booklets, and used the money instead on the aforementioned inner sleeves... had they done that, these releases would have been nigh-on perfect, or as perfect as we're ever likely to get, considering the state of the music-buying industry right now; the 2008 'Definitive Collection' box is still the gold standard for Zeppelin CD editions' overall packaging and presentation quality, but these new ones aren't shoddy by any measure, with the exception of no inner sleeves.

As far as the chosen cover for the remastered ITTOD,  I kinda wish they had stuck with the de-facto 'standard' cover (variation 'B') that's been the cover on all editions since the 1980's, I like that one the best, but it's not a deal-breaker... not when the remastered album itself is such a revelation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2015 at 2:00 AM, Strider said:

My initial impressions so far after my first few listens to both the original album and the companion audio are:

1. Disappointment in the companion audio disc. Make that supreme disappointment. It sounds the most repetitive and it is easily my least favourite of the bonus discs so far. Nothing especially revealing or different in the mixes, save for some of Robert's vocals being clearer. Considering the treats (All My Love with guitar outro) I have heard on various bootlegs of the ITTOD sessions, this has to count as a major missed opportunity by Jimmy Page. I don't think I will ever have a need to play the bonus ITTOD disc again...not even the vinyl.

From what I've read, Plant and JPJ drove the bus for In Through the Out Door.    I'm under the impression that neither man has been involved in this latest reissue project.  Maybe the companion disc would be stronger if JPJ had played a more active role.

15 hours ago, IpMan said:

I think The Epic is worth the price of the companion disc alone. I actually prefer that mix to the released Carouselambra mix by a long shot.

Me too and I also like ITE better than the original release.  Sounds closer to the live version they did on the '80 tour.  Other than those two songs, I don't ever listen to the ITTOD companion disc.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Me too and I also like ITE better than the original release.  Sounds closer to the live version they did on the '80 tour.  Other than those two songs, I don't ever listen to the ITTOD companion disc.

Yes, the alternate ITE intro is more Egyptian sounding, spooky but in a more subtle way than the Gizmotron bowed intro on the released version.

I was listening to a 1980 Tour Rehearsal Tape and it dawned on me that I had only sampled the the ITTOD Companion Disc. It was combination of having soooo much new Zep and loving The Coda re- issue so much I was playing little else.

But ITE was a companion track that I had wanted to explore further and yes during the 80 Tour there are a handful of of ITE's that are really VERY good.

I try to live in the moment but what a live opener ITE could have been with an extended intro.

If they ever had a chance to fully develop it, the song had so much potential perhaps even morph in to a  live centerpiece with Kashmir mixed in ......sucks , so much lost.

As it stands it was the only standout (limited listening) at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was listening to Carouselambra last night and about half way through a really deep slow almost twisted chord kept appearing. I have always loved this track but it struck me that considering this was recorded in1978 it would be ever present in the grunge scene over a decade later. Interesting that even at this point of their career they are ahead of the game.

• 6 months later...

Hope someone here can help. I posted this in the # Art print forum as well.  I don't mean to spam the forum for help, but some folks follow only certain threads so I figured I could cover more ground this way.  I received In Through the Out Door Super Deluxe Edition Box Set as a radio prize.  The box indicates that it is in the first 30,000 and the art print is numbered.  It even shows a picture of a numbered one on the back as all that have it know.  However, my art print is NOT NUMBERED.  At least, not like the one showing on the back.  Is the number somewhere else, microscopic to my eyes?  I have not unsealed the hard back book, is the number of the print listed in there?  Do I have a set that didn't get one, even though it says it is included?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, LuckyZepHead said:

Hope someone here can help. I posted this in the # Art print forum as well.  I don't mean to spam the forum for help, but some folks follow only certain threads so I figured I could cover more ground this way.  I received In Through the Out Door Super Deluxe Edition Box Set as a radio prize.  The box indicates that it is in the first 30,000 and the art print is numbered.  It even shows a picture of a numbered one on the back as all that have it know.  However, my art print is NOT NUMBERED.  At least, not like the one showing on the back.  Is the number somewhere else, microscopic to my eyes?  I have not unsealed the hard back book, is the number of the print listed in there?  Do I have a set that didn't get one, even though it says it is included?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The print number should be at the bottom left on the front of the print itself. For example it could say  15026/30000 representing print #15026 of 30000 total. If it is not numbered, then it is a copy over 30000 and not a limited edition.  

5 hours ago, sixpense said:

The print number should be at the bottom left on the front of the print itself. For example it could say  15026/30000 representing print #15026 of 30000 total. If it is not numbered, then it is a copy over 30000 and not a limited edition.

The cover packaging is VERY misleading.  The clear wrap on the right with the purple sticker clearly states the Individual number verbiage, as well as the back slip cover on the left.  The print in the middle has none.

I guess winners can't be choosers.

ITTOD Art print.jpg

• 1 month later...

I must admit i really like the envelope style packing. Even more so because of the shiny Led Zepp hologram/sticker on it. But i suppose i am only saying it, Because i have managed to keep it in perfect condition. It would be easy to slice it open. Best shut up myself, In case another member of my household wrecks it.

ITTOD is the only super deluxe I ain't got (yet) I've got the BBC one but not unwrapped it yet (Christmas) . I suppose I should complete the set but I'm struggling with this album at the moment. I saw a clip of page and plant doing "in the evening"  with part of carouselambra in the middle it was bloody awesome. Would have loved this at the o2 instead of the "rock and roll"

Archived