Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SolitudeIsBliss

What happened to Plant's voice in 1972 ?

33 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, ArmsofAtlas1977 said:

Worse than that, Led Zeppelin were reckless, and Robert did not take care of his voice at all.  No warming up beforehand, smoking and drinking during shows and an unfortunate tendency towards pushing his limits for the sake of showboating.  On top of that, the tours were ridiculously relentless.  Their European Tour in the spring of 1970 was 15 shows in 18 days, and by that point the shows were two hours or more.  He also famously continued to tour despite vocal complications like the flu.  Yes, cancelled shows are a mess, but you've got to put the long-term needs of the band first.

Things like Robert's voice make me wish we could take a time machine back to manage the band better.  Peter Grant got them their money, but also failed to prevent so much damage to the band themselves.  At the risk of getting too off-topic, I won't get into here, but it really is too bad!  

It wasn't Peter Grants job to take care of Plants voice. 'Oh Robert, you mustn't smoke, now its time to do your pre-show vocal exercises, uh oh, its getting late, you must go night night now, we have a show tomorrow dear boy. Robert, you mustn't showboat so much, you'll strain your precious voice. Oh dear, Roberts caught the flu again, sorry chaps but we'll have to cancel another tour'.  Yeah.....right.

And yeah, "Peter Grant got them their money", that is, in fact, a managers job, and he did it very well. 

Posted (edited)

On 8/5/2015 at 7:12 PM, Disco Duck said:

IIRC, their gear had already been shipped to the U.S. before they postponed the tour. Still, you would think Page would have had a spare guitar laying about his house.

True but picking up a guitar around the house and playing with a band are 2 different beasts. You can practice 8 hours a day by yourself and still feel sluggish with the band. Still no excuse though, I guess they somehow could've still rehearsed with just the 3 of them to stay in shape.

Edit:  Someone might've mentioned this before but for Robert and perhaps all of them, no one knew how long it would last so maybe it was balls out all the time. I guess by 72 maybe they should've known they would be around for awhile. Robert did mention lots of times about tea, lemon and honey, maybe that was the extent of knowledge of vocal care back then. Like put a hat on or you'll catch a cold, viruses don't care about hats.

Edited by FL6

On 5.8.2015 at 3:50 PM, Nutrocker said:

I'll see yer +1,000,000 and raise ya another +1,000,000

"What happened to yer voice in '72, Robert?" would be chief among the questions I'd ask. Mind ya, I'd be inclined to ask Jimmy something like, "Did you really not even 'touch a guitar' in the month long postponement of the 1977 tour, and if you didn't, do you really think it was a good idea?" I don't care about groupies/drugs/occult/reunions either (I know about all that shit :lol: )- I'm talking about critical factors that affected the band's live performances.

Yeah, you must be joking!

I agree to 100% that "What happened to your voice in 72, Robert?" is on the very top of the list. But sadly only in theory. I bet that his ego would NEVER EVER allow this question. Past, present or future: He would book this question as "Injury to his Majesty, Robert Anthony 1." Honestly, he turns 69 this year & still thinks he has the veto right to put down the cronological live album, a hearfelt wish of Jimmy since the 70ies! Jimmy, the man he owes more to than anyone else!!!- and he doesn`t give a shit. He had the guts to strut the stage 73 to 75, doing his Golden God thing, head full of snow, groupies and all that jazz, while his voice was shot at 75% of the shows. Why is he acting like a miffed old maid? We all know, that Jimmy would surely pick great shows with Robert in marvelous voice, why worry?

What happened to his voice in 72? Alcohol, cocaine (of course C. can damage a voice by damaging the nose & the paranasal sinuses causing a gridlocked nose), too many late nights & his unnecessarily shrieking in the early days due to his insecurity & too much cigarettes........

He did not only lose his high range by Oct. 72, the warmth tone of his low range was gone, adding the sound of a locked nose on top of that.

His natural voice was a God-given gift, he treated so thoughtlessly. What a shame.

1 hour ago, Autumn Moon said:

I agree to 100% that "What happened to your voice in 72, Robert?" is on the very top of the list. But sadly only in theory. I bet that his ego would NEVER EVER allow this question. Past, present or future: He would book this question as "Injury to his Majesty, Robert Anthony 1." Honestly, he turns 69 this year & still thinks he has the veto right to put down the cronological live album, a hearfelt wish of Jimmy since the 70ies! Jimmy, the man he owes more to than anyone else!!!- and he doesn`t give a shit. He had the guts to strut the stage 73 to 75, doing his Golden God thing, head full of snow, groupies and all that jazz, while his voice was shot at 75% of the shows. Why is he acting like a miffed old maid? We all know, that Jimmy would surely pick great shows with Robert in marvelous voice, why worry?

What happened to his voice in 72? Alcohol, cocaine (of course C. can damage a voice by damaging the nose & the paranasal sinuses causing a gridlocked nose), too many late nights & his unnecessarily shrieking in the early days due to his insecurity & too much cigarettes........

He did not only lose his high range by Oct. 72, the warmth tone of his low range was gone, adding the sound of a locked nose on top of that.

His natural voice was a God-given gift, he treated so thoughtlessly. What a shame.

Totally agreed! 

On 3/15/2017 at 7:25 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Agreed!

On 3/9/2017 at 5:51 AM, IpMan said:

I agree almost completely with what you posted, except for the poor management part in the early (68'-71') days. You have to understand, this time period was a very chaotic one in music history, they were essentially learning as they went along. Of course as mentioned above if a performer now gets even a sniffle, they cancelled shows for a full week. I wish Zep would have done the same but rock music in particular was very fickle back then. I bet Robert felt the need to push it every night in fear that it might very well be the last tour, even as late as 75'. We can look back now and wonder why they did what they did but Robert was both very green and somewhat insecure in the beginning. Regarding the drinking, smoking, and no warm ups for his voice, that is a different story. Even then everyone knew how the great Maria Callas ruined her voice through smoking and booze and late night's. Robert, or at least those around him, should have known better. Then again I could see Janice telling Robert the reason her voice was so good was due to constant infusion of SoCo & cigs, so, there is that.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:25 AM, Autumn Moon said:

1) What makes you think he was insecure in the beginning? By Royal Albert Hall he had a confidence and stage presence that could not be rivaled, so I assume you mean in '69 (though the shrieking of course would continue well past then).

2) Why would being insecure correlate with shrieking? I'd think that insecurity would make him quieter and less boisterous than he'd otherwise be.

I just don't see the relation between his actions and a claim of him being insecure, and I don't see the relation between insecurity and pushing yourself to the limit. I'd appreciate some clarification.

7 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

1) What makes you think he was insecure in the beginning? By Royal Albert Hall he had a confidence and stage presence that could not be rivaled, so I assume you mean in '69 (though the shrieking of course would continue well past then).

2) Why would being insecure correlate with shrieking? I'd think that insecurity would make him quieter and less boisterous than he'd otherwise be.

I just don't see the relation between his actions and a claim of him being insecure, and I don't see the relation between insecurity and pushing yourself to the limit. I'd appreciate some clarification.

Insecure in regard not to his ability but in regard to the longevity of the band. Robert came from a very middle class family, he did not have the upper middle class upbringing that Jones & Page had. When you grow up under such circumstance you tend to have a "better get what I can, when I can" attitude. So, I believe he pushed himself to his limits and beyond vocally to give the best show possible and keep em coming back so to speak. The scene back then was brutal, up until the fourth album, any tour could have easily been the last tour, the last record and he knew that. There were AMAZING bands back then like Blue Cheer, the MC5, Camel, etc that put out groundbreaking music but made little money and went nowhere. They had their year or two and...Poof, gone. So I figure Plant thought he should set it at 11 and run in the red non-stop, that is until his motor blew.