What happened to Plant's voice in 1972 ?

SolitudeIsBliss

My goodness!

This is supposedly a studio outtake from 1974. If so, I would say that the change in Plant's voice from 74 to 75 is as drastic as that of 72 to 73. He never sounded like this again, not even at the height of 77. Maybe singing while he had the flu/laryngitis in the early winter months of '75 did him in. I think he sounds great here, better than much of 73. 

I've always thought it was weird how Robert’s voice changed, starting in August of 71 you can tell his voice is definitely weakened but by the time they do the winter UK tour Robert almost sounds compeletey recovered especially at Manchester and London, I’ve always thought this about the last three Australian dates too especially Auckland it seemed like each time he had some time off he recovered but something definitely happened after the Australian tour while Robert still has a good voice during the North America tour of 72 he’s using much more falsetto and it seems like the power of his voice gave out.

2 hours ago, paplbojo said:

It was all downhill from Belfast. Even by that night something had changed from 1970. It was all very, very continuous, not sudden. Constant change from the very outset. 

I mostly agree, but think you’re overstating it a bit.

No doubt his voice was permanently damaged by Fall of ‘71, if not Summer. But there were ups and downs before then. It wasn’t all downhill. For example, I recently watched LZ DVD again and was surprised how BAD Robert’s voice was at the Royal Albert Hall concert on JANUARY 9, 1970. His voice at Copenhagen on May 3, 1971 is vastly superior.

ALB

3 hours ago, paplbojo said:

It was all downhill from Belfast. Even by that night something had changed from 1970. It was all very, very continuous, not sudden. Constant change from the very outset. 

What specifically do you think "changed" from 1970? I don't detect any noticeable difference. And I'd disagree that it was all downhill from Belfast. The only change was him no longer singing Black Dog high, which I think was out of choice, not because he couldn't sing it anymore. If anything I'd say the turning point was LA 8/21/71. The cracks (both literally and figuratively) were starting to appear after that and while he occasionally had a show afterwards where he sounded like his old self (ex. Tokyo 9/24/71, Manchester 11/24/71, Sydney 2/27/72), he never was that consistent again.

9 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

What specifically do you think "changed" from 1970? I don't detect any noticeable difference. And I'd disagree that it was all downhill from Belfast. The only change was him no longer singing Black Dog high, which I think was out of choice, not because he couldn't sing it anymore. If anything I'd say the turning point was LA 8/21/71. The cracks (both literally and figuratively) were starting to appear after that and while he occasionally had a show afterwards where he sounded like his old self (ex. Tokyo 9/24/71, Manchester 11/24/71, Sydney 2/27/72), he never was that consistent again.

Just a Q: Did he ever sing the original vocal melody on the Stairway coda after Copenhagen 5/3/71? My recollection is that by LA he had stopped going for the “Lady” high note, etc. I don’t recall about any June/July ‘71 shows. But I think if he could have kept singing that original vocal melody, he would have.

ALB

I've said it before and I'll say it again...'The Immigrant Song'. They opened up with that song for two straight years from July 1970 to July 1972. Plant did no pre-show warmup exercises for his voice and hit that song cold every time, and wailed on it balls to the walls for 2 yrs in a row. That combined with a number of other factors such as his life style and his personal technique of singing is the culprit, IMHO. 

On 6/1/2018 at 7:50 AM, AchillesLastBand said:

Just a Q: Did he ever sing the original vocal melody on the Stairway coda after Copenhagen 5/3/71? My recollection is that by LA he had stopped going for the “Lady” high note, etc. I don’t recall about any June/July ‘71 shows. But I think if he could have kept singing that original vocal melody, he would have.

ALB

To answer my own question, he nails the "lady" (heh) on 9-23-71 at Budokan Hall. 

Listening to the show now, the EVSD release. Pretty good audience recording and outstanding show. Someone on the forum posted complimenting the "Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete" release. May check that out. Don't know if the sources differ.

ALB

53 minutes ago, AchillesLastBand said:

To answer my own question, he nails the "lady" (heh) on 9-23-71 at Budokan Hall. 

Listening to the show now, the EVSD release. Pretty good audience recording and outstanding show. Someone on the forum posted complimenting the "Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete" release. May check that out. Don't know if the sources differ.

ALB

If you're interested, I did my own source mix/compilation of this show. Here's a FLAC download for it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ivmk5EXNO7M5FfLKT4ZyRPwRVUO1esJL

Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete is a good release, but it still has problems. Here's a detailed description of how I compiled the sources together, as well as the pros and cons of each source/release.

Also, while it's been a while since I listened to the show, Plant nails the "lady" line at Sydney 2/27/72 IIRC.

Edited by ZepHead315

For me after listening to a majority of shows his vocal issues first appeared in and around the first shows of the 1971 North American tour starting at the LA Forum. The first show in LA Plant is hitting all the notes but to me it sounds as if hes straining and from there on Robert alters the songs by changing some of the melody's in songs, the rest of the tour his voice was weaker then the Belfast-Montreux period which I'd consider as good as 70 and before.

Strongest shows from the tour vocal wise

1 8/21/71

2 8/31/71

3 9/11/71

During the Japanese tour Robert improved a bit from the American tour but still not as strong as the Belfast-Montreux period overall hes about the same as the american tour and holding back on some verses in songs, giving strong performances in the Tokyo shows the 2nd night appears to be the best vocal wise but all the nights in japan except the last night Robert seems to be decent just not as good as those Belfast-Montreux shows. The last show of the Japanese tour Robert seems to have wore his voice out from the tour.

1 9/24/71 Tokyo

2 9/23/71 Tokyo

3 9/28/71 Osaka

The UK tour Robert seems almost completely back to his Montreux Copenhagen voice, Robert seems to had a nice break to rest his voice and it show in many of the dates of this tour specifically the Manchester and London dates. Overall the Manchester show in particular is one of my favorite shows, Robert sounds as he did in Copenhagen and Montreux and his voice has recovered for the most part.

1 11/24/71 Manchester

2 11/20/71 London

3 11/16/71 Ipswich

After listening to the Australian tour I've concluded that the last three shows in Auckland, Sydney, and Brisbane are the best Plant sounds of all of 72 delivering a phenomenal Black Dog in Auckland an amazing Rock and Roll from Sydney and other highlights. Overall after the UK winter tour I expected Plant's voice would have a nice time to rest and he should sound pretty strong again but I was let down with the first couple of shows. When I fist heard Auckland I was amazed Robert to me sounded close to his Manchester voice, then going on and listening to Sydney and Brisbane Plant still sounds overall very strong but after Brisbane I fail to find a show after brisbane in 72 where Plant come close to his Belfast-Montreux era voice.

1 2/25/72 Auckland

2 2/27/72 Sydney

3 2/29/72 Brisbane

Robert has some really good nights in 80 he hits the high notes once again and towards the end of the Tour Over Europe Tour he sings Rock and Roll  and the outro to Stairway in it's original melody

Edited by wordev1977

1 hour ago, wordev1977 said:

Robert has some really good nights in 80 he hits the high notes once again and towards the end of the Tour Over Europe Tour he sings Rock and Roll  and the outro to Stairway in it's original melody

Really?!  Which shows, specifically?

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Really?!  Which shows, specifically?

Munich has Robert singing phenomenal on everything especially Rock And Roll and Stairway I would start with that show, but Robert actually sounds excellent in Berlin even though it's an off night for Jimmy but Rock and Roll from Berlin is also excellent 

1 minute ago, wordev1977 said:

Munich has Robert singing phenomenal on everything especially Rock And Roll and Stairway I would start with that show, but Robert actually sounds excellent in Berlin even though it's an off night for Jimmy but Rock and Roll from Berlin is also excellent 

Ok, will do.  Thanks!  I've never actually listened to a full show from 1980.  Listened to bits of Rotterdam, Zurich & Frankfurt, and have always loved TUF & WLL from Berlin.

6 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Ok, will do.  Thanks!  I've never actually listened to a full show from 1980.  Listened to bits of Rotterdam, Zurich & Frankfurt, and have always loved TUF & WLL from Berlin.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:18 PM, ZepHead315 said:

If you're interested, I did my own source mix/compilation of this show. Here's a FLAC download for it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ivmk5EXNO7M5FfLKT4ZyRPwRVUO1esJL

Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete is a good release, but it still has problems. Here's a detailed description of how I compiled the sources together, as well as the pros and cons of each source/release.

Also, while it's been a while since I listened to the show, Plant nails the "lady" line at Sydney 2/27/72 IIRC.

Wow, thanks ZepHead315! Presently downloading. 🙂

ALB

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 9:18 PM, ZepHead315 said:

No "lady" at Sydney 02-27-72 sadly. He doesn't go for it.

But listening to this show for the first time and really enjoying it!

ALB

2 hours ago, AchillesLastBand said:

ALB

During both Brisbane and Auckland he hits the lady part, my personal favorite version of Stairway from 72 is the Brisbane one.            

On 6/20/2018 at 12:57 PM, AchillesLastBand said:

ALB

On 6/20/2018 at 3:42 PM, wordev1977 said:

During both Brisbane and Auckland he hits the lady part, my personal favorite version of Stairway from 72 is the Brisbane one.            

Thanks. I knew he went for it at at least one of the Australasian shows but I couldn't remember which. Shame his voice declined so rapidly after that.

• 9 months later...

It has been well documented here how some Zeppelin fans cringe on the way Robert plant vocals were different after the 1973 tour or even before.

I being the generation that brought back Led Zeppelin to popularity thanks to MTV playing The Song Remains The Same. That brought Led Zeppelin to a whole new generation of Kids that didn't know the difference between Robert Plant the Screaming God of Thunder, to the Heavy Over Lord of the later 1970s. I was blown away with all the early stuff but the albums after HOH I thought were much more heaver and more complex arrangements then the earlier maybe with exception of  When the Levee Breaks. I have to say this song never gets enough respect. 

The male voice not only gets deeper during adolescence where there's a rapid change, but it also tends to deepen very gradually throughout life.  I'm no expert on why this second phase of voice deepening occurs, but I suspect it's due to wear and tear of ones vocal chords.  Now add to that, the life of a professional singer, and add further to that, a professional singer like Plant, who in his younger years, really sang his lungs out.  

18 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

The male voice not only gets deeper during adolescence where there's a rapid change, but it also tends to deepen very gradually throughout life.  I'm no expert on why this second phase of voice deepening occurs, but I suspect it's due to wear and tear of ones vocal chords.  Now add to that, the life of a professional singer, and add further to that, a professional singer like Plant, who in his younger years, really sang his lungs out.  

I still think Robert had a strong vocals, I listened to NYC 1977 and he still had it, just wish they did custard pie live !

• 2 years later...

Interesting topic and answers. Plants voice, true voice that is was simply incomparable to any singer.

the range was so consistently hi and powerful in 68-71…and mainly in 72…that the audiences had to know they were witnessing a force like no other

i often wonder looking back to those days, how he was able to adjust his voice to the lower ranges. I think his adjustment resulted in just as amazing performances as in the early days.

his performance  at the O2 in 2007 proved his mettle.

• 11 months later...

Yea I noticed the difference in Robert’s voice from the studio versions when I first saw them in Philly in ‘75. It was quite a shock. After listening to so many live versions of their songs prior to ‘72, then after, I realized Zeppelin in the studio and Zeppelin live were two different animals more often than not. They had their reasons back then for not bringing along extra musicians on their tours but it would’ve really helped their live sound. Plant and Page during the ‘95 shows with all the extra musicians sounded so much better live. I saw them in October that year and being a total Zep freak, Robert’s vocals were great and Jimmy played like the guitar god he was supposed to be- with all respect to JP Jones and the late Bonzo. When the SRTS live lp came out in ‘77(?) I was really shocked again. Certain things have always bothered me about some of Jimmy’s choices live- I felt Stairway should have been done with the acoustic sound on at least through the middle of the song and then maybe with a rickenboker 12 string instead of that red double neck that never seemed to serve the live legendary studio solo very well. And why couldn’t John Paul get the flute sounds right live? The live BBC version was the best live Stairway I ever heard-from 71-but it’s poorly recorded. Then there’s the beautiful That’s the Way-Jimmy plays the most haunting slide guitar that I’ve ever heard that makes a good song fkg GREAT but that part of the song never got played live even when they had 5000 musicians with them! Jimmy is my favorite guitar player ever- I don’t say he’s the best-it’s just Zeppelin love lol. Greatest freakin studio producer ever-still say the sounds on Zep 1 are unmatched. A studio collection of masterpieces that are surpassed only by the Beatles in total. Zep forever!