Return to 1990 remasters ...

appiantiqua

One year later i'm listening again the first two albums in their 1990 remasters WITHOUT thinking in terms of comparison _ I had this approach in June/July 2014 _

and i have to say that it's a real pleasure to return to those 1990 versions ... it's just like to look a painting masterpiece with differents light and distance or angle!

... some details become more obvious and some others less but it's realy different

I'll try the experience for the third album and shall wait this autumn for IV & Houses of the Holy

In conclusion: Keep your 1990 editions ... enjoy and share your thoughs!

I really think that besides Bonzo's death, the release of this set/later complete set caused the biggest ripple in Zep's universe. Former

hostile critics and mild supporters even started to name Zep as the greatest rock band, not the Beatles. And the remaining members

of the band came within a hair of reforming and launching a world tour. Certainly many fans thought they retained their legacy by

not touring but musically all the members were in fine shape musically. Fans who weren't around or into the band when the box sets

came out don't know IMO how powerful an effect these releases had on many things.

This is the only complete set I own. I haven't bitten on any others, but I do find the quality of some of these, not to be the greatest. I'm sure the new remasters addresses that, but for the extras that I've heard, while some of them good, hasn't pushed me to a point where I need to have them.

I really think that besides Bonzo's death, the release of this set/later complete set caused the biggest ripple in Zep's universe. Former

hostile critics and mild supporters even started to name Zep as the greatest rock band, not the Beatles. And the remaining members

of the band came within a hair of reforming and launching a world tour. Certainly many fans thought they retained their legacy by

not touring but musically all the members were in fine shape musically. Fans who weren't around or into the band when the box sets

came out don't know IMO how powerful an effect these releases had on many things.

I was born in 1988 so I discovered the band a lot later.. Can you expand on why the '90 remasters were a turning point?

I

I was born in 1988 so I discovered the band a lot later.. Can you expand on why the '90 remasters were a turning point?

When CDs first came out in the 80's a lot of stuff was rush released to cash in on the emerging market. In the case of Led Zeppelins catalogue some of these CDs were dubbed from 2nd or 3rd generation masters and were plagued with hiss and muddy sound, the cough at the end of IMTOD was cut out! Also some cassettes for LZ1 came out with an alternate track listing ,opening with Your Time is Gonna Come and ending with a truncated How Many More Times.

So you see the 1990 remasters were really considered the first acceptable appearance of Led Zeppelin in digital form.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not compared them yet, but i know the drums were louder on the old discs. Yet we have crisp ness on the new ones.....like the beatles. Its good for the band and the composition of the songs. I am enjoying it....yet have memories to contend with. Its not a big deal...we have both versions...and extra material.

Archived