The Live Album That Never Was

First post, so if this has been discussed before, forgive me...

Did Jimmy ever have a specific plan as to how to release the 1973 live album that never was?

I ask this because the entire concert obviously could not have been released as a double album... but maybe a triple album.

Knowing Jimmy, he probably would have wanted most, if not all, of the concert put on wax. I can't see him being happy with an abridged concert.

I can see it looking something like this (slightly different order to fit on vinyl):

Side 1

Rock and Roll

Over The Hills and Far Away

Black Dog

Dancing Days

Side 2

Misty Mountain Hop

Since I've Been Loving You

The Song Remains The Same

The Rain Song

Side 3

Dazed and Confused

Side 4

Stairway To Heaven

Whole Lotta Love (edited)

Side 5

Heartbreaker

Thank You

Side 6

How Many More Times

Communiation Breakdown

If it was a double album, I can't see it being too different than The Song Remains The Same. Either way, it would have been criminal to leave out the killer performance of How Many More Times.

in the vinyl days releasing a complete show was never a fetisj. Remember the set list of classic live lp's such as Live at Leeds (Six tracks, three of them covers!) or Lou Reed's Rock'n Roll Animal.

Made in Japan and Yessongs were tour compilations rather than 'honest and faithful' reproductions of one show. Jimmy rolled out the mobile studio to the Southampton University Refectory to capture the intimacy of one of their UK 73 shows. As I stated here before, Southampton's first hour lacks the fire and I can't believe Jimmy even considered it as a 'warts and all' triple album. He did however mention the possible inclusion of one or two tracks from Southampton on his live chronological album in the late seventies.

Edited by duckman

Gawd, I wish he would release an album of the 77 tour. I mean Zep were at the height of their God-like status, and some of the shows were very good. All this 73 and before rules out way too many good songs.

Agreed, but an official '77 live album would be edited and 'Frankensteined' much more than either How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same (either version) ever were. Quite frankly, we'd be better off with the best sounding '77 bootleg recordings.

We don't have any 1977 multitrack tapes, no, but I'd be brazen to say that there are folks who are members of this very forum who could assemble a better "1977 live album" than Page ever could...and that's kinda fucking sad when ya think on it...

Agreed, but an official '77 live album would be edited and 'Frankensteined' much more than either How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same (either version) ever were. Quite frankly, we'd be better off with the best sounding '77 bootleg recordings.

We don't have any 1977 multitrack tapes, no, but I'd be brazen to say that there are folks who are members of this very forum who could assemble a better "1977 live album" than Page ever could...and that's kinda fucking sad when ya think on it...

I actually might make my own 77 LA Album, combining the best of the famous LA run.

Made In Japan is certainly the greatest live album ever made but it is from 3 shows:

Osaka August 15th: Smoke On The Water

Osaka August 16th: Highway Star, Child in Time, Strange Kinda Of Woman, Space Truckin'

Tokyo August 17th: The Mule, Lazy

But if you listen to the complete tapes of the "Live in Japan" CD then you will hear how Martin Birch cut a bit and mixed a bit here and there to achieve a glorious piece of plastic that will never be bettered.

Regarding the topic:

Not sure if there is a "general" market for a Zeppelin live post 73 LP. I feel that the 75 tour and more so the 77 stuff is frankly too overblown and in parts dull. I mean take Dazed from 1975 - 35 minutes?? No. 1977 - No Quarter for 30 odd minutes and please The "Noise Solo" No. There are moments of course but to be honest the way Page put out HTWWW, I much prefer the bootleg from LA Forum with Plantations and the crowd to add the atmosphere. In other words I'll stick to my bootlegs.

Gawd, I wish he would release an album of the 77 tour. I mean Zep were at the height of their God-like status, and some of the shows were very good. All this 73 and before rules out way too many good songs.

All this 75 and after rules out way too much good playing. B)

I feel that the 75 tour and more so the 77 stuff is frankly too overblown and in parts dull. I mean take Dazed from 1975 - 35 minutes?? No. 1977 - No Quarter for 30 odd minutes and please The "Noise Solo" No. There are moments of course...

^Yes. :yesnod:

I don't think there is a realistic market left in putting out another live album. Sure, the die-hards would buy it, but not the wider fan base. We already have TSRTS, the remastered TSRTS, the movie TSRTS, BBC Sessions, Led Zeppelin DVD, HTWWW, Celebration Day, and assorted snippets on the companion deluxe reissues (and that's just the official stuff). When Zep broke up, there was only the original TSRTS, which most of us knew was a substandard testament to Zep at their live best. This certainly drove up the bootleg market for a long time. Since then, we have been well serviced with all the subsequent live material that I think the market is now satisfied. No, they are not a Listen To This Eddie or a Badgeholders performance, but due to issues of opportunities and timing, we have what we have.

Unfortunately, Southampton was just not a good show. Which is a shame, given how good the band were playing just before, and just after that gig - even with Plant's vocal problems. Call it nerves, but there is something definitely off in that performance. Chalk the How Many More Times inclusion up to something that the band deliberately put on there to salvage the recording, to make it "special". Page's playing on Dazed and Confused is some of his worst of the entire year. To his credit, he was using his backup guitar for that song. Still though, his playing throughout is almost suspiciously off, especially given that Bradford (18 January) and Aberdeen (25 January) were both killer performances.

Southampton is one of those examples of a soundboard/multitrack killing the hype rather than confirming it.

^^ well that's just your opinion, on the other hand Southampton is my favorite live show and I prefer it way over TSRTS and HTWWW.

I don't care if this show was ever released officially or not, we already have an excellent copy of the show on bootleg with NOTHING EDITED OUT!!! I also think Jimmy's guitar never sounded as great as it did at Southampton. I just prefer listening to shows where Zeppelin were having a great time and playing very loose over what we have on TSRTS and Earl's Court. Same reason why I prefer Seattle '73 over New York '73, they were playing very loose and sounded like they were nice and relaxed and enjoying themselves and obviously not trying to rush through their songs, every song in Seattle seems to be played slower than even on the album versions which must have been a difficult task to achieve.

Can we at least agree that Jimmy's guitar solo in Thank You is one of the best solos ever done Sathington and Pluribus..?

...if not, then to quote one Eric Cartman "screw you guys, I'm going home!". ;)

Eh, not bad, but I'm sticking with my assessment, solid but a little lagging in spots. :P Give me Blueberry Hill and BBC Sessions all day. :bubble:

Jimmy may not be too happy about releasing any more live albuns due to his opinion that the quality of the recordings is not good enough. I would have to disagree. Here are some that could make excellent releases with very little, if any, editing. Just a few as examples:

1969-04-27 - Avocada Blues (Liquid Len)

1969-11-06 - Winterland Party (Wendy)

1970-01-09 - Royal Albert Hall

1970-09-04 - Blueberry Hill (I like Slumpymatrix version)

1973-07-28 - The Effect Is Shattering (NY) - EVSD

1975-02-12 - Four Blocks in the SNow (Bluecongo)

These are just a few recordings that with little editing would make excellent live releases. There are a lot more but I can be be ars$ed to make a big list.

The quality is there, a really good selection of shows are there, it just needs Jimmy to take his foot off the brake.

• 5 years later...