Robert's June 23, 2006 Arthur Lee Benefit Concert Available For Download

And You Know How It Is?

What a treat to get the email from Wolfgang's Vault over the weekend that this benefit concert for Arthur Lee is available for download off the Wolfgang site for $5. Such a unique show, and am thoroughly enjoying it. Robert has a guest band playing with him, along with Johnny Echols from Love. A few highlights so far:

• In The Evening as the opening song. Works so well as an opener, and sounds great. I always thought if Bonham lived, this would have been the opening song of their live set list on the next tour that would have followed the 1980-1981 planned concerts.
  • All the Love songs, a few played in Robert's live set in 1999-2002: Bummer in the Summer, A House Is Not a Motel, 7 and 7 Is and Robert acknowledges for the first time live, the Love song he always wanted to sing since he first heard Love: The Old Man, which is just fantastic!
  • What is And What Should Never Be - unique in that Robert switches the 3rd verse with the 2nd verse: sounds strange but kind of cool
  • A cover that Robert's done many times: a cool version of Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth. Dedicated to Zoe Bonham, who was in the audience. Robert told of he and Bonham playing this in Band of Joy.
  • Duet with Mott the Hoople's Ian Hunter on When Will I Be Loved (yes, that Linda Ronstadt song)
  • Elvis cover of Can't Help Falling in Love
  • Robert mentions that he never met this band before they started rehearsing two days before this show. He also says it's the first time he plays live with American musicians, "very liberating" he says
  • A great Ramble On to close the show

Still listening to this show, but way worth the $5! I like that it is on the date 29 years later of the famous LA Badgeholders show as well!

I wonder if there were any photos taken of this concert? Would love to see any if someone can post.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived