Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Flares

Companion discs are rubbish

87 posts in this topic

On 03/12/2016 at 2:36 PM, Bong-Man said:

Now that it's been awhile, I still enjoy listening to the "Houses of the Holy" more than the others.  "The Rain Song" & TSRTS are sonically pleasing, and OTHAFA ain't too bad either.  The alternative disc seems to retain the flow of the original album compared to the others, and there's just enough subtle differences in the mixes to make it interesting.   It seems to get the biggest reaction from people who haven't heard the new reissues whenever I pop it on. "Going to California" & "Thank-you" without vocals are favorites too.   

I think the concept is quite simple.

remastered Album plus the same album but viewed from a different perspective.

the artwork says it all. Original album cover and then a sort of inversion of the colours for the second disc but in effect both discs share the same concept at their core. You couldn't have one without the other.

Perhaps we shouldn't consider the tracks individually so much as being a complete album.

imho I think what page has done here has added to and given further  colour and illustration to the core of each of these albums in a very considered and artistic way. I think what's been done is completely unique .  It also shows that he still has the eye and ear for it. 

Who knows he may have even made something this clever out of the very little remaining. Or there may be more concepts to come....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it is what it is.  I really enjoy the guitar overdub mixes and other unreleased instrumentals.  Sometimes you just want to appreciate the music without any application of lyrics and the interpretation that Plant brought to the songs.  As I expressed on here before, I really enjoyed The Song Remains the Same instrumental as it was a song I never liked too much.  Just hearing the band play, I "hear" the song differently than Plant does and it's now a song I appreciate much more for Pages vision and development. 

It is what it is.  With all of the live stuff, soundboard mixes and multi-cd bootlegs, there is already plenty of material for a hardcore fan if they were looking to hear rare recordings including Zeppelin IV which I heard many years ago (and which many of us have heard I[m sure) when I went to a ZepFest of sorts and guys were basically just handing you tapes for free as they were just happy to see a younger fan base show interest in LZ.  

If memory serves me correctly, Page personally met and spoke to some of the more hardcore fans, collectors and yes, bootleggers in England to ask them if they had heard any of the stuff he had released.  He wanted to be sure it was 100% new and authentic from what was already out there.  He went so far, I am told, as having these people listen to the music after signing a waiver of sorts to allow them to hear the songs before release.

Funny how that all works eh?  Was a time when Peter Grant would send people out into the crowd and destroy bootleggers who were trying to record.  It famously happened in Vancouver, BC and it turned out to be government doing noise testing of the arena.  Oops.  Fast forward to 2000 and beyond and the band probably wished there was alot more stuff, especially quality video.  :lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:43 PM, JAP said:

I think the concept is quite simple.

remastered Album plus the same album but viewed from a different perspective.

the artwork says it all. Original album cover and then a sort of inversion of the colours for the second disc but in effect both discs share the same concept at their core. You couldn't have one without the other.

Perhaps we shouldn't consider the tracks individually so much as being a complete album.

imho I think what page has done here has added to and given further  colour and illustration to the core of each of these albums in a very considered and artistic way. I think what's been done is completely unique .  It also shows that he still has the eye and ear for it. 

Who knows he may have even made something this clever out of the very little remaining. Or there may be more concepts to come....

Yeah I do tend to agree, I think there not really intended to be "interesting rarities" so much as alternate albums which I think does explain why a lot of stuff was held back for the Coda release which was obviously always intended to be more of the former.

I do actually find myself enjoying the Presense bonus disk beyond 10 Ribs/Pod quite a bit dispite it being very similar to the stuff on the original album, the less echoey rougher sound  does I think work well with the material.

Edited by greenman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, greenman said:

Yeah I do tend to agree, I think there not really intended to be "interesting rarities" so much as alternate albums which I think does explain why a lot of stuff was held back for the Coda release which was obviously always intended to be more of the former.

I do actually find myself enjoying the Presense bonus disk beyond 10 Ribs/Pod quite a bit dispite it being very similar to the stuff on the original album, the less echoey rougher sound  does I think work well with the material.

I have enjoyed most of the companion discs,  Led Zeppelin seemed to have their songs nailed down before they went near the studio.

Rather than that " I've got  an idea, let's try to bring in drums"  work in progress type of album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm amazed how many people have actually defended the companion disks here! While I agree that they are not altogether rubbish. There are a bit lacking. I mean some of the songs have almost no difference between them and the ones that made the original albums. But that being said, the bonus concert on the first album is amazing and Coda is packed with goodies. Plus, the packaging is probably the best of any reissues by any artist yet. I am amazed though that the extended version of All My Love didn't make the In Through the Outdoor companion disc. I thought it was a dead cert that it would be on there.

Led Zeppelin aren't the only act to do this with their reissues, though. Whitesnake's reissues from 2007 have some really poor extras and the Rainbow deluxe edition of Down to Earth is laughable. I guess what it boils down to really is what the listener wants from a reissue. For me it has always been the bonus tracks, for others it's better sound quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people think they are rubbish, But want to make sure they have them all in their collection. I am missing the In through the outdoor one tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, poortom88 said:

I'm amazed how many people have actually defended the companion disks here! While I agree that they are not altogether rubbish. There are a bit lacking. I mean some of the songs have almost no difference between them and the ones that made the original albums. But that being said, the bonus concert on the first album is amazing and Coda is packed with goodies. Plus, the packaging is probably the best of any reissues by any artist yet. I am amazed though that the extended version of All My Love didn't make the In Through the Outdoor companion disc. I thought it was a dead cert that it would be on there.

Led Zeppelin aren't the only act to do this with their reissues, though. Whitesnake's reissues from 2007 have some really poor extras and the Rainbow deluxe edition of Down to Earth is laughable. I guess what it boils down to really is what the listener wants from a reissue. For me it has always been the bonus tracks, for others it's better sound quality.

I think that is quite a good situation to end up in though as the majority of the material the less hardcore fan might want to hear is on the LZ 1 and Coda bonuses disks rather than forcing them to buy all the albums for 2-3 tracks on each.

Its hard to know for sure what to think of course before we know Page's long term plans, if this was it for extra Zep then stuff like say an extended NQ from Earls Court really should have been included but if we see an extended release of those concerts then it makes much more sense not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if every track on each companion audio disk was a new "previously unreleased" song, then would it be companion audio to the original,  or would it be a bonus disk or separate album ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:53 AM, greenman said:

I think that is quite a good situation to end up in though as the majority of the material the less hardcore fan might want to hear is on the LZ 1 and Coda bonuses disks rather than forcing them to buy all the albums for 2-3 tracks on each.

Its hard to know for sure what to think of course before we know Page's long term plans, if this was it for extra Zep then stuff like say an extended NQ from Earls Court really should have been included but if we see an extended release of those concerts then it makes much more sense not to.

You have a good point. I would like to see the release of a later concert like something from the 1977 North American tour. They were on fire during that tour and I know for a fact that decent audio exists of at least three concerts from that period. Also it would be nice to hear something from the 1980 Europe tour. There's a soundboard recording of a concert in Berlin and it's actually a good gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, poortom88 said:

You have a good point. I would like to see the release of a later concert like something from the 1977 North American tour. They were on fire during that tour and I know for a fact that decent audio exists of at least three concerts from that period. Also it would be nice to hear something from the 1980 Europe tour. There's a soundboard recording of a concert in Berlin and it's actually a good gig.

Besides the odd song where Page actually remembered how to play the guitar, that 1977 tour was not the bands finest hour. I mean how dull was it that someone can make a guitar sound like a cat wailing for what seems like an eternity is beyond me. Of all the tours and shows he could use I bet it wouldn't be one from that tour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Besides the odd song where Page actually remembered how to play the guitar, that 1977 tour was not the bands finest hour. I mean how dull was it that someone can make a guitar sound like a cat wailing for what seems like an eternity is beyond me. Of all the tours and shows he could use I bet it wouldn't be one from that tour. 

Very true , most 77 shows would require major fixing. IMO, 77's best feature was the setlist. Every other aspect of the bands performances were inferior to previous tours. Except for the ever stalwart Jones. The more I listen to '77 shows, the less I want to listen again. 

Edited by porgie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

U know there r probably 100 posts from me agreeing that bonus discs r rubbish not now with no hype. Rebuying and relisteningb I do like them and love 3 and coda .  I don't have bootlegs but feel these r interesting alternate looks at the albums I think the first time around I did not get the concept.

Edited by ksgemini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now