led zeppelin magazine by bob guccione jr.

sk8rat

I was at the store and found this magazine by bob guccione jr., the creator of spin magazine. it had some nice pictures and looked to have some good content. there were two different covers but the same content inside of both as well as the back cover. I wanted to buy both but they were $13 a piece so I didn't get either.

4pxjc3.jpg

a1qtc6.jpg

2uzyslg.jpg

"All the stories behind the music, the drugs, sex and tragedy"   

Well unless Jimmy has recently decided to become an open book and shared the 
personal details of his life during the time frame of 1968-80 -  then the "stories" being
written are words / quotes/ statements that have been circulated in print or interviews
many time over already. 

Never before seen pictures would be cool though.   

I just purchased this magazine as well. And......Well..................

In the back section of the book, it focuses on what the surviving members of Led Zeppelin did after 1980 there is a photo of Page and Plant in concert at the Meadowlands Arena (a show which I attended) and the credits say Page, Plant and Jason Bonham perform at the Meadowlands, New Jersey, 1995. 

Yeah, flipped through it in the store...I was pleased to see one of my books listed in the bibliography of required Zeppelin reads, not so pleased to see that Aleister Crowley had died in 1955, leaving the last eight years of his life unaccounted for.  Some nice pics, though - the Guccione family has a history of issuing stimulating photography.

Acquired both today. These are definitely intended for casual fans as there wasn't anything I hadn't seen a hundred times.

I was hoping this wouldn't be the case. Thanks for saving me the expense.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this at Wal-Mart tonight. They do pretty well citing the photo credits, ie, the where and when, to about half way in... then, magically, the credits disappear. In many of the sections covering a certain year, the photos used are not from that time period. But, there there are some photos I had never seen before, and many that I already had seen. I've often wondered why more than just one Zep person associated with the band, Richard Cole, has not written their inside story of the band. I guess they won't while the members are still living... It would be nice if Jimmy would publish his tell-all, which he implied would come out after he's left...because he didn't want to deal with the lawsuits. :lol:

Some nice pics, though - the Guccione family has a history of issuing stimulating photography.

I remember, in HS, looking at a Penthouse magazine in some seedy convenience store, and seeing the first pubic hair photography in a men's magazine. You remember first's like that. Playboy bowed, or should I say knelt, to the pressure, and eventually started doing the same.

I remember browsing a magazine stand in a book store about 20 years ago and an older guy in a wheelchair rolled up and quietly, politely asked "Would you hand me a Playboy?" I said "sure" and did so. He took it and rolled away. I thought to myself at the time THAT is truly humiliating, to have to ask strangers to go top shelf. 

I saw this at Wal-Mart tonight. They do pretty well citing the photo credits, ie, the where and when, to about half way in... then, magically, the credits disappear. In many of the sections covering a certain year, the photos used are not from that time period. But, there there are some photos I had never seen before, and many that I already had seen. I've often wondered why more than just one Zep person associated with the band, Richard Cole, has not written their inside story of the band. I guess they won't while the members are still living... It would be nice if Jimmy would publish his tell-all, which he implied would come out after he's left...because he didn't want to deal with the lawsuits. :lol:

I do remember an interview or two that Jimmy was mentioning lawsuits or lawyers in regards to a biography.

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but what for? Things relating to the music writing credits and such or is he 
getting into the Lori Maddox stuff? Drug involvement?

I don't know how that works in the legal system when all that stuff went down so many
 years ago. And how
does that work with his estate? Would his biography cause a train of lawsuits and end up being a nightmare
for his kids? 

I guess the other alternative is to leave it out of the book, but then again it's not full on biography if huge
details between 1968-1980 are left out.  I guess whatever it is he must believe when the time is right he will
tell his story. And what a colourful one it will be................. :)

I do remember an interview or two that Jimmy was mentioning lawsuits or lawyers in regards to a biography.
Forgive me for sounding dumb, but what for? Things relating to the music writing credits and such or is he 
getting into the Lori Maddox stuff? Drug involvement?

I don't know how that works in the legal system when all that stuff went down so many
 years ago. And how
does that work with his estate? Would his biography cause a train of lawsuits and end up being a nightmare
for his kids? 

I guess the other alternative is to leave it out of the book, but then again it's not full on biography if huge
details between 1968-1980 are left out.  I guess whatever it is he must believe when the time is right he will
tell his story. And what a colourful one it will be................. :)

My guess is Jimmy prefers not to deal with lawsuits unecessarily, whether they are frivilous, or not...

I remember browsing a magazine stand in a book store about 20 years ago and an older guy in a wheelchair rolled up and quietly, politely asked "Would you hand me a Playboy?" I said "sure" and did so. He took it and rolled away. I thought to myself at the time THAT is truly humiliating, to have to ask strangers to go top shelf. 

True story, when I was a teen in 1969, we visited my uncle in California. So, at their local grocery store, they had Playboy magazines sitting on the floor, on a wood landing about 3 inches off the floor, in the front of the store. I had never ever seen anything like that at any grocery store back in Texas.

True story, when I was a teen in 1969, we visited my uncle in California. So, at their local grocery store, they had Playboy magazines sitting on the floor, on a wood landing about 3 inches off the floor, in the front of the store. I had never ever seen anything like that at any grocery store back in Texas.

California in '69? Half the women in the store we're probably in those magazines. :lol:

Archived